Fly fishin' for carp on the surface

Guest Matt@Trafford

Guest Matt@Trafford

Howdy...

Well it looks like summer is finally here,(getting snow and frost an'all that!!!)and isn't it funny how the sun pops out for a day and everyone dons their shorts,pulls the top down on their cabriolets and go thru the "on holiday in Majorca" motions,when it's still bloody freezing!Any I'd like to find out if anyone has dabbled at using flies to take carp off the top....

Now that the suns been showing a little,I've been hitting a local water and bangin' a few off the top in typical mixer/controller style and it soon became obvious that the carp had not been taken off the top for a good while as I managed six high doubles in about two hours.However,they soon reverted to being cagey when feeding.I'm very much into surface fishing/stalking and preffer it to the three rod and bivvy approach,and have always wanted to try using a fly when the chummies become less effective.The thought of using a midge type fly when the sky is teeming with mozzies appeals to me and carp can often be seen feeding on apparently nothing,when in fact they are feeding on either nibbling critters which have blown onto the surface,or on pupae which are hatching and have become stuck in the surface film.

Any fly anglers with any info out there into carp fishing?Let me know!Till then I'll just keep raiding the dogs' dinner cupboard.(The poor thing ain't been fed since the weather got warm!!!!)

BFN...Matt

Guest Graham E

Hi Matt.

I am not a carpman but I do sometimes tackle our small old claypit where lots of genuine wildies to 12lb and a few up to under 20 mirrors and commons live. Great with heavy float tackle/rod and big baits. At the start of the season proper and for a few months into it the carp often become pre-occupied with the small fry fish, attacking them sometimes like perch do.

I have often wondered if a tweaked fry imitation fly just sub surface would do them. Presentation would worry me ref line strength needed.

We have a surface ban on our waters because idiots did for the 2 swans that lived there, but off the top was a great way to tempt them. Of course now,after 2 years you can practically feed the buggers crust by hand!

Regards taking midges, yes any corner with scum will get the rubber lips treatment if its quiet. Love to hear your results if you try. Challenging the norm is a great way to enliven our sport and keeps one thinking.

Graham

Guest davidP

I suggest you have a look at some of the US carp sites as I've definitely seen carp (and catfish) fly patterns listed. Unfortunately I'm on a new machine atm so don't have the bookmarks but I'll try and remember to find them next time I'm on the old machine.

Guest Nobrot

I've had great fun taking early doubles on Chum mixer 'flies' - biscuits superglued to the hook.

But for the purists out there, I suggest a pattern called a cul-de-canard buzzer. It's a very simple midge pattern, generally imitative of the chironomid, but with a bunch of ducks preen gland feathers tied in at the top.

These feathers are buoyant and remain above water - giving a good sighter - while the midge remains anchored in the miniscus.

They are deadly for fussy trout when they're 'porpoising' and I'm sure they would be effective for carp given the right conditions.

Mark