Hugh's Fish Fight

Elton

I thought there was a thread in here about this, but can't find it in a hurry.

Anyway, I've just read this piece by an organisation he's working closely with, apparently:

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/blog/oceans/g...-fight-20110107

It starts Tuesday 11th January, on Channel 4.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought there was a thread in here about this, but can't find it in a hurry.

Anyway, I've just read this piece by an organisation he's working closely with, apparently:

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/blog/oceans/g...-fight-20110107

It starts Tuesday 11th January, on Channel 4.

Just watched this programme on 4od and I cant believe how many have fallen for the biggest con I have ever seen put on TV with regard commercial fishing it’s quota system and those unnecessary discards.

Just five and a bit minutes into the first programme Hugh of River Cottage fame said 'We had a rough night and few on board got much sleep but the wind has dropped a little now the sun is shining and we are about to start fishing. The skipper has landed his quota of Cod and Coalfish, so he has been forced by pure economics to move to a mixed fishery.' He later said during the shots of discarding that half of the catch in this mixed fishery consisted of Cod and Coalfish.

So my question is, why did he not go first to the mixed fishery and ovoid this massive discard of edible fish?

The answer is clear as day it is how the industry are trying to con the EU to increase quota or in other words GREED.

You can see the programme here >>>> http://www.channel4.com/programmes/hughs-f...ght/4od#3152474

Tight Lines Bob

Edited by Deene'0
Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

So my question is, why did he not go first to the mixed fishery and ovoid this massive discard of edible fish?

The answer is clear as day it is how the industry are trying to con the EU to increase quota or in other words GREED.

How do you know his Cod and Coalfish quota wasn't caught as part of the mixed fishery?

Seems like you have already made your mind up how things work and nothing is going to change your mind.

You are heading the right way to becoming a first class 'RSA' misrepresentative. :nerd:

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I think the problem is that fish just refuse to present themselves into neat little groups, like they do on a fishmonger's slab. To get at fish like soles, you have to fish where a lot of other fish occupy, and when a cod shoal appears, it's enormous and unavoidable.

As the skippers have to chuck the fish back, I'd have thought it was in their interest to avoid them if they could and can't imagine they actually want to catch them. Not being able to land it aside, the cost of catching it and throwing it back must be fairly substantial.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Come along lads, we all know these skippers just enjoy burning fuel for the sheer hell of it and all Cod & Coalie live in houses ;)

Bob for Fisheries Minister!

Typical of the man, almost every RSA has gained a new respect for the commercial fishermen through HFW's programme showing a glimpse of what it's really like - other than you know who, as usual he's well out of step.

A little honesty wouldn’t go amiss particularly from those of you in the know.

The commentary is exactly as I have posted go check for your self. ‘few on board got much sleep’ no because they were up fishing Hugh.

Those in the know will also be able to confirm that there are areas where Cod and Coalfish can be found in great numbers and there are areas that are known as mixed fisheries. They even showed that mapped areas for goodness sake, ok the skipper may have a valid reason for grabbing his quota before moving on to the mixed fishery, but I very much doubt it as ther would have been no discard to film.

A blatant attempt to deceive is how I see it, prove me wrong. :nono:

Tight Lines Bob

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

A little honesty wouldn't go amiss particularly from those of you in the know.

The commentary is exactly as I have posted go check for your self. 'few on board got much sleep' no because they were up fishing Hugh.

No Bob, you have misquoted HFW and made that quote up to suit your agenda. You have not posted "exactly" what was said.

the problem lies is if bigger fish get better prices ,you get huge discards swopping small dead fish for shortly dead bigger ones if it is.

why not a factory ship moored in many places where "discards" can be used ,why decimate sand eels for cattle food when fish protein is being chucked back by the ton for nothing?

so long as its paid for there's an incentive! even a slight profit is better than none ,sand eels use diesel and wages getting paid for discards can save costs and wages and get the quota filled as well but sand eels are simply caught without any consideration to what eats them ,let discards save sand eels and what eats them

no waste is good waste surely

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

You don't think that it might be because he has a boat that cost 1.5 million and probably has a massive mortgage to pay on it?

Or maybe it's because he has his family and come to that the families of his crew to support?

No, it's just greed <_<

BTW, why did you go to work every day, did you get paid for it?

You greedy bast*rd

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/