Stop HS2 and save Savay

Stop HS2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Renowned transport expert, Professor Begg, fully backs hs2 proposals in a report launched by the british Chambers of Commerce: "Our ability to move goods and services around the country and doing business online, is crucial to our economic vitality, particularly in stimulating regional economies".

The Chairman of the Chamber said "Cities in the North West are desperate for it to reach their area because they know high speed rail will have a major impact on helping to break down regional divides and bring our country together".

Info on the strong business case for HS2 here:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/674...e-for-hs2.thtml

Hey Stoppo

Looks like the Nimby rail package 2 (RP2) alternative is again in the firing line. Critics of RP2 are stating that the under estimated costs of undertaking this scheme are - which have now doubled - make hs2 appear even better value than previously believed.

The West Coast Main Line was upgraded at a cost of £8.9bn (or £9.6bn depending upon exactly which work you include in the project) between 1998 and 2009. When completed it was four years late and three times over the original £2.8bn budget. This is one of the most important factors driving the decision to invest in HS2.

Some HS2 opponents claim a further £3.6bn could be spent on a series of flyovers and bypasses (including a 21 km cut-off through open country in Staffordshire ironically) but these studies focus only on the impact on inter-city trains, but do not examine the severe capacity concerns over commuter services into Euston, Birmingham and Manchester. Obviously any further upgrade of WCML would entail huge disruption to rail services (especially at weekends) and runs the risk of the kind of overspend witnessed last time.

Serious doubts also must be expressed about exactly how many trains per hour can be squeezed along a railway at 125 mile/h when that railway dates from the 1840s; to match HS2 capacity, inter-city trains would run at 3 min headways, something even the more reliable Tube lines often struggles to match.

RP2 - ANOTHER DEAD WHITE ELEPHANT

What's HS2 I hear you say? It's the new High Speed London-Birmingham rail link proposed by the last government and supported by the latest bunch of muppets too.

The route of this new line will cross the Colne Valley on a 15m tall X 75m wide viaduct going smack through the middle of Pit2, Harefield. (Harrow AS) cross the Grand Union, then straight through Savay Lake; one of the most famous and historic carp lakes in the country.

The cost of this line is projected to be 30billion pounds and will cut journey times to and from Brum by 20-30 minutes.

Please find the link to the STOP HS2 petition web site and sign up.

http://www.gopetition.co.uk/petitions/stop-hs2.html

Stoppo

The actual details of the proposal relating to Savay Lake are on the HS2 website. The site contains FACT SHEETS relating to each section of the route. Again, the 75 m wide viaduct you might prefer to see at the location, which proportions would have a dramatic impact on the lake, is clearly not what HS2 plan to do. I prefer HS2's options.

The focus on your attention at this location should raise above the scenario for the lake but be concerned with the local homes, the SSSI and the AONB. It is these issues that the engineers are trying to work around.

What's HS2 I hear you say? It's the new High Speed London-Birmingham rail link proposed by the last government and supported by the latest bunch of muppets too.

The route of this new line will cross the Colne Valley on a 15m tall X 75m wide viaduct going smack through the middle of Pit2, Harefield. (Harrow AS) cross the Grand Union, then straight through Savay Lake; one of the most famous and historic carp lakes in the country.

The cost of this line is projected to be 30billion pounds and will cut journey times to and from Brum by 20-30 minutes.

Fact sheet at: http://highspeedrail.dft.gov.uk/sites/high...am-amersham.pdf

Stoppo

regarding the hs2 provided photo visualisation of the viaduct. can you describe your comment about the "viaduct going smack through the middle of Pit2, Harefield. (Harrow AS) cross the Grand Union, then straight through Savay Lake".

Savay Lake is the second lake the viaduct goes over from the bottom of the image moving upwards. The viaduct clearly goes over the top section of the lake rather through the middle ...as i have already said

Stoppo

regarding the hs2 provided photo visualisation of the viaduct. can you describe your comment about the "viaduct going smack through the middle of Pit2, Harefield. (Harrow AS) cross the Grand Union, then straight through Savay Lake".

Savay Lake is the second lake the viaduct goes over from the bottom of the image moving upwards. The viaduct clearly goes over the top section of the lake rather through the middle ...as i have already said

Nothing like the truth getting in the way of conjecture is there. :lol: that brings me on nicely to the topic title, is this hs2 going to destroy the brown water pond or is it going to cross over it in some place.? Looking at the foto of the lakes they look like a whole series of holes that have been dug up willy nilly in the countryside, now they are going to have a narrow viaduct running near them, so what i ask myself, bring on the modernisation, just like hs1, when you are along side hs1 you can see the trains going past but you have a job to hear them. We even took our boy to see the first train run, most gratifying that was. :)

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Nothing like the truth getting in the way of conjecture is there. :lol: that brings me on nicely to the topic title, is this hs2 going to destroy the brown water pond or is it going to cross over it in some place.? Looking at the foto of the lakes they look like a whole series of holes that have been dug up willy nilly in the countryside, now they are going to have a narrow viaduct running near them, so what i ask myself, bring on the modernisation, just like hs1, when you are along side hs1 you can see the trains going past but you have a job to hear them. We even took our boy to see the first train run, most gratifying that was. :)

Yes, Barry it is exactly what I stated in my very first email on this site. The impacts stated by the "Stop HS2 Save Savay" are far far from the truth.

However, this approach falls nicely in-line with most of the other stuff that comes from the wider stop HS2 lobby groups ...much of what they say is far from the truth. This is how these groups try to drum up their support to satisfy their own ends. Lol :)

By giving out the wrong information, making wild claims on potential impacts, THEY are actually causing the blight and untold concern to local people.

Fun though ..isn't it? Te he!

Tight lines and bendy rods.

A

Barry, onto the topic.

Yes, there will be a chnage at the lake. But Christ I am happy to fish a lot worse than that.

it is clear that it goes ACROSS (that is the first thing ...not through) only PART (i.e. not straight though) of the lake.

I am yet to understand how it goes through the other lakes that Stoppo says?

Will it impact on the fish? I 100% doubt it!

Yes, Barry it is exactly what I stated in my very first email on this site. The impacts stated by the "Stop HS2 Save Savay" are far far from the truth.

However, this approach falls nicely in-line with most of the other stuff that comes from the wider stop HS2 lobby groups ...much of what they say is far from the truth. This is how these groups try to drum up their support to satisfy their own ends. Lol :)

By giving out the wrong information, making wild claims on potential impacts, THEY are actually causing the blight and untold concern to local people.

Talking about wrong and misleading information, the angling trust have wrote to the minister and voiced it's opinion that the tranquility and business's will be affected by the link. They go on to list within their web site that lot below, using a fishy rag as the author just in case. There is no balance, just like yourself and others who can see that there are benifits in reality compared to all the destruction that the nimbys are portraying. It's as though an atom bomb test is going to happen as opposed to a new rail line.

quote from the angling trust:

The following fisheries have been identified by Angler’s Mail as being affected by the route:

1. Savay Lake, Colne Valley

2. Korda Lake, Colne Valley

3. Grand Union Canal, Paddington Branch

4. River Brent, Perivale, London

5. Grand Union Canal, Northolt

6. Yeading Brook, Ruislip Gardens

7. River Pinn, West Ruislip

8. Colne Brook, Uxbridge

9. Grand Union Canal, Harefield (Harrow Angling Society)

10. Pynesfield Lake, Harefield

11. Kingfisher Lake (Pit 4), Denham Cross, West London

12. Fray’s Valley

13. River Misbourne – follows from Chalfont St Giles

14. River Thame, Aylesbury

15. Bear Brook, Aylesbury

16. Great Ouse, Turweston/Brackley

17. River Itchen Ladbroke

18. Grand Union Canal, Ufton, Warwickshire

19. River Cherwell, Edgcote

20. Burnt Heath Farm , Offchurch

21. River Leam, Weston Under Westherley

22. River Avon & Stowe Mouth, Stareton and Stoneleigh

23. Brook Farm, Finham Brook, Stoneleigh

24. Lavender Hall Fisheries, Berkeswell

25. Shadow Brook, Diddington

26. River Blythe, Hampton In Arden

27. Brickfields Farm, Solihull

28. River Cole, Coleshill

29. River Thame, Water Orton – plans are to permanently reroute the river

30. Birmingham and Fazeley Canal, Curdworth

31. Cuttle Mill Farm Fisheries (Mill Pools), Wishaw

32. Pool House Farm, Hunts Green

33. Langley Brook, Middleton

34. Gallows Brook, Middleton

35. Bourne Brook, Hints

36. Coventry Canal, Whittington

37. Darnford Brook, Streethay

38. Fulfen Brook, Streethay Brook

39. Curborough Fisheries

40. Bourne Brook, Curborough

Ohh another myth, this time from stop hs2 facebook page:

About.

28 trains per hour heard from over five miles away? Following an economic d...

More

I'm about 1/2 mile away, i can't hear it at all, funny that.

At exactly the same distance we have a go cart track, now and again we can hear them buzzing around, depending on the direction of the wind.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..