Best Fluorocarbon line ?

kestrel

I have been using Berkley trilene fluorocarbon over the past couple of seasons and wondering what is the best Fluorocarbon main line you have used ?

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X-line without a doubt is the best pure fluorocarbon i've used :)

Tiger Line is supposed to be quite good as well

I've got Ultima Power Carp on my Carp reels at the minute, used it last season on a clear but snaggy pit as i was worried about a pure fluorocarbons abrasion resistance, it's only fluorocarbon coated but seems to sink quite well but at the same time is very tough and breaks at much more than the stated BS

Jan/Feb/March - Chub, Pike & Perch

Out of interest why do you think flurocarbon is good for mainline? Whats its benifits over mono or braid?

i found my vanish o be a good mainline, was invisible and worked a treat budgie, you seen some of my catchs last year, all of it on berkley vanish. i am going back to mono this year, i'll do a comparison and we shall see how good it is.

i'll be using 15lb daiwa sensor brown and 15lb korda subline brown

Out of interest why do you think flurocarbon is good for mainline? Whats its benifits over mono or braid?

I personall would only use fluro for hooklengths as i think thats where its character is best suited

I use guru drag line for waggler and feeder work , it is a high quality low vis heavy duty line that never lets me down . But i would choose any good quality mono over fluro for reel line as it casts smoother and is less brittle and more hard wearing.

I was thinking of using a flouro mainline next season for bream because of its sinking qualities. However the links to test results posted by Rob Ward quickly convinced me it wasn't really suitable as a mainline. Sure you'll catch fish using it but that itself doesn't mean much. Anything that stretches (quite a lot) and stays stretched is not for me.

I wonder how many people used it before the Korda DVDs?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I allways ask the lovers of Fluoro Carbon for mainlines why they think its so good just in case Im missing something...........after several years of doing so Ive never has a good answer so I can only conclude that they've fell for the marketing hype!

These are some I hear/read-

Sinks better.................yes but what advantage does this slightly faster sink rate give you over say Maxima which sinks like a stone?

Less visible...........is it though and if it is does it matter for a mainline? I could easily give examples of where a visible main line seems to spook carp (for one) far less than a not so visible one!

Better abrasion resistance than mono or braid........yet to see any sign of this at all! in fact with what I use it for (er what it was initially introduced to angling for) trout tippets Ive found it to actually wear quicker on their teeth than mono.

But the disadvantages of it are far more easily seen and commonly accepted-

Higher price than mono.

Notoriously poor knot strength.

So I ask again why?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Anything that stretches (quite a lot) and stays stretched is not for me.

Remember all the problems with pre stretched mono lines? exactly the ones we seem to get with fluro! just that we have to pay more for it and stretch it our selves!

They should use that as a marketing thing-

Super duper Carp Catcher Fluro camo mainline ....pay for 100m and after one fish you get 25% more line for your money FREE!

I tell you my skills as a marketing executive are wasted :rolleyes:

NB:Before some one takes me to task I don't know the actual % it stretches and simply couldn't be bothered to find out just for a cheap gag. :rolleyes:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Remember all the problems with pre stretched mono lines? exactly the ones we seem to get with fluro! just that we have to pay more for it and stretch it our selves!

They should use that as a marketing thing-

Super duper Carp Catcher Fluro camo mainline ....pay for 100m and after one fish you get 25% more line for your money FREE!

I tell you my skills as a marketing executive are wasted :rolleyes:

NB:Before some one takes me to task I don't know the actual % it stretches and simply couldn't be bothered to find out just for a cheap gag. :rolleyes:

I'll have to dig out Rob's post but I think it was something potty like 20%!

Imagine going to all the effort of locating that perfect little hotspot, feeding it accurately, clipping up so your casts are exactly right - and then having your line stretched so you're unwittingly fishing 20% further out :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music