Boilie Ingredients?

Guest Elton

Here's another question I received:

hi

im interested in making my own boillies from scratch and ive obtained a price list of ingredeints like acid casein /calcium caseinate/egg albumen/wheat gluten etc etc but i dont really know what they offer to the carp and what there job in a mix is please can you help me ?

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest Alan Taylor
Originally posted by Elton:

Here's another question I received:

hi

im interested in making my own boillies from scratch and ive obtained a price list of ingredeints like acid casein /calcium caseinate/egg albumen/wheat gluten etc etc but i dont really know what they offer to the carp and what there job in a mix is please can you help me ?

Calcium Caseinate contains 90% protien

Casein contains 90% protien

Wheat Gluton contains 80% protien

Egg Albumen contains 80+% protien

Most mixes require oil, if you can get it,try sunflower seed concentrate (defatted) protien content 50%.

I have a friend that nearly ended up in a nut house with his various base mixes. Don't get hooked on drugs or boilie mixes.

When you do cook your final mix, steam it and not boil.

Good cooking and stay sane.

Alan (nl)

PS. Keep some of your boilie mix back, add some baking soda and bake in the oven. It makes great floaters for surface fishing.

A.

[This message has been edited by Alan Taylor (edited 29 August 2000).]

Guest RobStubbs

Elton,

I'd suggest you (he) stick with a bought base mix and leave messing about with separate ingredients. You need to get the right combination to get a rollable mix, that's not too sticky, that will sink, that will harden properly, that will have the right texture etc, etc.

You should also aim for a protein content of say between 30-70% and you will need other ingredients, such as soya meal, bird foods and/or fishmeals. Oh and something Mr Carp will want to eat.

If you really want to play then have a look at some of the older books such as ________s carp fever or one of Hutchies books. Also the Paisley (Nutrabaits) bait video probably contains some useful info - long time since I saw it.

Good luck!

Rob.

Guest Alan Taylor
Originally posted by RobStubbs:

Elton,

I'd suggest you (he) stick with a bought base mix and leave messing about with separate ingredients. You need to get the right combination to get a rollable mix, that's not too sticky, that will sink, that will harden properly, that will have the right texture etc, etc.

You should also aim for a protein content of say between 30-70% and you will need other ingredients, such as soya meal, bird foods and/or fishmeals. Oh and something Mr Carp will want to eat.

If you really want to play then have a look at some of the older books such as ________s carp fever or one of Hutchies books. Also the Paisley (Nutrabaits) bait video probably contains some useful info - long time since I saw it.

Good luck!

Rob.

Hi Rob. Correct on all counts. Carp Fever is where I found the protien percentages.

You caught me out.

Alan(nl)

Guest BUDGIE

Alan and Rob a quite correct even though I despise the publication "CarpFever" gives several recipies in detail.Another book that lists various ingredients and their properties is "Tiger Bay"(dont take too much notice of what Maylin says is good and bad though!)Most of these recipies use milk protiens and are based around the HP/HNV bait principles.These ingredients are very expensive and GOOD quality supplies are difficult to come by now.A lot of modern commercial baits now use a lot simpler ingredients.They rely on good flavours/attractors.If you have a read up about the various ingredients and there properties (ignore all the psudo science)you will soon be able to start making your own mixs confidently.Don't worry about enzyms,lipids,aminos etc just concentrate on making a good flavour carrier that will not break down too quickly,is not too expensive and above all will not harm the fish or the enviroment.It aint that hard!

Many years ago I was lucky enough to talk to the great Jack Hilton about his HP/NNV bait theories.Even he admitted that he often pondered the question was he right or was it just that Carp like the taste of milk proteins?

As an after thought I seem to remember that Rod Hutchinsons Carp Book(a paper back) also gave recipies and some information as to ingredients.Can't check as I lent my only copy out back in the late 80's and never got it back!

Oi Murphster, here's one of my 'better' base mixes for ya'll. Trust me, it works a treat.

50% Dark Fishmeal

20% White Fishmeal

30% 30 mesh Rennet Casein

Plus powdered sweetner, dye.

You don't really need powdered egg albumen, simply make sure you scrape all the albumen out of the shells of your eggs - use a spoon to do this. You'll notice that in the 'pointy' end of the egg there is a blob of albumen. Most people just throw this away with the shell - it's the best bit, and you can get a fair amount out of six large eggs for a mix.

I've had tremendous fun over the years experimenting with base mixes (just ask me ma!) and this one has always been the best.

If you're after a meaty bait, try substituting 20% of the dark fishmeal for Robin Red - this gives it a bit of 'Zing'.

I'll talk to you at length when we're on the bank next week if you want more info yourself.

loadsafish

DB

Guest Alan Pearce

The books mentioned earlier are really the best bet for someone new to bait making. I have gone full circle with baits over the past 20 or so years finding that some of the earlier ones not only best but simpler and cheaper. Cost is I think very important as you can then afford to pre-bait properly. Pre-baiting seems to have become a forgotten art these days due in the main I beleive to the cost factor. My experience even on heavilly fished waters is that pre-baiting will win out in the end, providing that is, it is done in conjunction with water craft and a flexible attitude, ie fish were the fish are. Don't think you can draw them into areas where they don't want to be, with bait as this will only lead to disapointment. Keep it simple, introduce plenty over a reasonable time span and use your head, think like a fish. Good luck.