Letter From The Countryside Alliance

Elton

Barbel and National Security...?

Hmm...

Well, I suppose SOME opportunists might jump onto them now...

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee, angling was told that it was losing out on central funding because of it's disparate organisation and lack of cohesion.

Whether we like it or not, MP's want to deal through one body. We have seen all too regularly the results of the fragmented organisation that is angling. The government and the OBN earning Sport England have the power to fund the sport and have shown a lack of willingness so to do. The message is plain for even a half-wit like me... play the game their way or not at all.

Personally, I admire Martin Salter for not talking to 25,000 anglers in the CA - it means that he will be representing the rest of us all the better - you know the other 2 million plus that don't want to throw our lot in with Charles Jardine. Looked at in those terms, the CA case looks like a typical New Labour piece of spin, forget the content - 'look at the presentation' (is that ironic, or what?), and Martin Salter's position quite understandable.

[ 15. March 2005, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Alan Stubbs ]

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

'you know the other 2 million plus that don't want to throw our lot in with Charles Jardine'

Must point out that the vast majority of those 2 million plus anglers are so disillusioned with, or unaware of the other organisations, that they havent thrown their lot in with anyone and 25,000 is still a lot of people. Whilst your pot is half full, mine still remains half empty.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Just a thought, and a pretty unworthy thought at that! Just curious though, why are so many city folk so keen to support the Countryside Alliance? Suppose it goes hand in hand with the four-wheel drive! No, not aimed at anyone here, but something that has caused me a wry smile or two.

Peter Waller:

Just a thought, and a pretty unworthy thought at that! Just curious though, why are so many city folk so keen to support the Countryside Alliance? Suppose it goes hand in hand with the four-wheel drive! No, not aimed at anyone here, but something that has caused me a wry smile or two.

"Poop, poop"

As Mr Toad, part of now Sacred English History, once said...

(Loved the book - then and, still, now - shame about the willy-wonkers - sorry, wrong author.)

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Quote me some figures please Peter,, with references please.

Alan, a short while ago we (anglers that is) had a single body to represent us, namely the NAA.

Why was no funding given to this body, after all it was formed at the request of the Gov't as they needed to talk to a single body ?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Dear Alan,

You said;

"Lee, angling was told that it was losing out on central funding because of its disparate organisation and lack of cohesion."

Now whose fault is that Alan? To my mind it’s the fault of those that have headed up angling's various attempts at umbrella organisations over the years because it is they, who have consistently fallen out with each other. Seeking permanent funding from Sport England is folly. Self funding via angling membership remains the only viable option.

"Whether we like it or not, MP's want to deal through one body. We have seen all too regularly the results of the fragmented organisation that is angling. The government and the OBN earning Sport England have the power to fund the sport and have shown a lack of willingness so to do. The message is plain for even a half-wit like me... play the game their way or not at all."

So SE fund FACT but FACT continues its previous history of falling out? Where does that leave us? Playing the game their way? Nonsense. We have the opportunity of funding ourselves and ridding ourselves of the quango farce that has NEVER worked and WONT work. Even a true half wit can see that every single attempt has failed dismally before because that’s the FACT! I'm simply amazed that FACT appears to be chasing Sport England’s tail for funding!! The FACT remains though. NO money in Facts tin no matter what you say? I've heard all this about funding for years Alan. Still no funding, still all falling out around the top table.

"Personally, I admire Martin Salter for not talking to 25,000 anglers in the CA - it means that he will be representing the rest of us all the better - you know the other 2 million plus that don't want to throw our lot in with Charles Jardine. Looked at in those terms, the CA case looks like a typical New Labour piece of spin, forget the content - 'look at the presentation' and Martin Salter's position quite understandable"

I don't know that 2 million anglers won't throw in their lot with CA. Or the rest of angling either. Neither do you. I DO know that the majority of anglers CANT throw in their lot with FACT unless they join one of orgs in the quango. They certainly can’t join as individuals. A lot of the anglers "quoted" as being behind FACT aren't anything of the kind at all. They are just ordinary club anglers who's clubs join the NFA. Ask a line of club anglers fishing who FACT are and they look at you puzzled. What a glaring testament for FACT and who they claim to be representing. Now ask the same lines of anglers who the Countryside Alliance are?

You support Salter and his decision to brush aside 25,000 anglers. Those 25,000 are as important as 2 or two million. Or does FACT live in a world where numbers crush other angler’s rights? I disagree with you on all points raised in your post. But it does serve to highlight a FACT activist perception of things.

Regards,

Lee.

poledark:

with references please.

Den

So sorry, oldekrap, but I am going to bed.

Sure you'll you understand.

Guest sslatter

Lady Haw Haw: "I don't know that 2 million anglers won't throw in their lot with CA."

HOOOOOOEY BOY!! :D:D:D

You must have more blinkers than Martin Pipe! Classic, classic.. :D