Whats happening at the ACA ?

Cranfield

Jim Im suprised you asked this.The biggest polluter of water is the authorities themselves! look at some of the ACA's past cases.I know that the EA isnt strictly in bed with the Water boards etc but despite name changes of the various organisations the same faces are still in the same positions.Maybe its just that you are not as cynical as me!Or had better experiences of the EA than me!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JonHedges

'How many anglers are there' well about 2m as I see it because that's how many Rod licences are sold each year. I know that around 5m claim angling as a hobby but that is not a true reflection of the number of people that actually fish.

I do however agree with you that the percentage of anglers who are prepared to put their hands in their pockets is pitiful but I don't think that you can blame Bob and Jane James for that.

PeterK:

'How many anglers are there' well about 2m as I see it because that's how many Rod licences are sold each year. I know that around 5m claim angling as a hobby but that is not a true reflection of the number of people that actually fish.

The Prime Minister's strategy unit estimated that around 2 million people went sea angling in 2002.

The authoritive Drew study, commissioned by DEFRA, reported that 1.1 million households in England & Wales contain at least one member who went sea fishing in 2002 (many households of course will have the whole family as anglers, or brothers, father and son etc)

Sea Anglers do not currently have licences.

Neither does anyone need a licence who fishes in Scotland.

Neither does anyone under 16.

Then you have those who simply do not choose to buy a licence.

Five million anglers is probably about right.

It's important to realise just how many people go fishing, as in meetings with those who influence the facilities, protection, and development of angling, that is one of the first questions they ask.

Unfortunately, too many people of influence authoritively guess what they think the number is, unintentionally selling us down the river, as a group with considerable socio-economic importance.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Under 1.2 million licences sold, and probably about a tenth of these were carp anglers buying two.

I think that figure of 5 million and 1.1 million households is stretching it a bit Leon, just cross your fingers that noone decides to test it in the next census!!

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Bare in mind that a lot of people just try fishing on holiday Den, and as far as a survey is concerned they are anglers. My wife & I have just had two weeks holiday. It pleased us both to see just how many folk had a bash, even if it was just with a hand-line.

quote:

Originally posted by Jim Gibbinson:

On to the present day... Apart from having misgivings regarding the ACA, I wonder about their stated purpose. Now, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the ACA uses civil law to pursue its cases, and seeks to win damages for actual fish deaths. Nowadays, we have the Environment Agency who can, and do, bring criminal prosecutions against polluters. And they don't have to prove fish-loss. I've been pleasantly surprised by the metaphorical teeth displayed by the Environment Agency, and would like to publicly record my appreciation for what they do on our behalf.

So, at the risk of incurring the wrath of ACA supporters, I ask the question, "Is the ACA as important to us as it was back in pre-EA days?"

None of which, incidentally, has any bearing on my previously expressed concerns regarding the ACA - that's another matter entirely and one about which I shall continue to reserve comment. [/QB]

No wrath from me, but the EAs basis for court action is pollution control. Whereas the ACA’s is damages for lost stock. Granted this has a knock on effect of pollution control, but is not the primary purpose. The EA don't always ask the court under pollution convictions for the polluter to make good the loss.

Nor do they always prosecute the polluter. Increasingly they are using cost benefit analysis to determine whether to prosecute the polluter. A system of measurement I find aberrant.

In sort some polluters are getting away with it and the EA is letting them!

I personally don’t share your view of optimism about the EA, they are fast becoming an aging dog with few teeth.

The Themes pollution incidents will in my opinion set the benchmark for their future creditability as defenders of the environment

phil h.

Peter Waller:

This is worse than Who Killed JR!!

Oh Yeah?

It's even worse than 'Who will Tony Blair next give a highly-paid appointment to'?

Seems it's the nature of things, and a possiblity in a 'fairly' free society, that people who don't agree with the work of an organization they belong to, can allways form another one.

It gives the control freaks that get into political power, a clear run at each in turn.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net