Top Pike Angler My Ar5e!!!!!!!!!!

Polly

Little Bruv's trying to get membership of this fishery. He's been to local tackle shop and been put on waiting list, he's number 22 and still waiting!!! Not sure what the criteria for being promoted up the list is so if anyone can advise please feel free!!! Apparently there are already too many members and the owner is keen not to have too much angling pressure.

Imagine how frustrating it must have been for him when, yesterday, we went for a walk round the lakes and saw a certain VERY high profile (I shy from the term famous) pike angler sitting under his shelter with 2 rods out in the peg he was sitting at and a further 4 (yes, total 6) single rods each occupying a peg adjacent to where he sat. In other words ONE angler, SIX rods, FIVE swims. Each rod was alarmed with front and rear (drop-off) alarms but even so the furthest was at least 60 yards from where he sat. I think even Lynford Christie would struggle not to deep (throat/stomach) hook a running pike having to cover that sort of distance to get to the rod.

I wont name the culprit (Yet!!!) but he knows (and so do I) who he is, and if that's how he has managed to put so many 30's on the bank he can stick his advice where the sun don't shine. I wonder if he'll be writing a feature in the weekly mag about how he banked X 30's ans X 20's from the Nunnery Fishery? My bet is the picture that accompany the article wont show the methods he used. Such methods cannot be condoned and to see such a BIG name in pike angling doing this is out of order. Mr. X is just feeding the anti's with prime ammo and has lost the respect I previously held for him.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm intrigued now. When you say you will not name him 'yet' what does said person need to do to remain nameless?

Paul

If this is correct, then this 'angler' must have broken at least one rule of the water/club and therefore should be immediately banned. I wonder if he has enough rod licences too. Sounds a tad greedy and selfish to me!

Best to stick to the topic of pike safety, rather then the 'name' issue.

Once names start getting bandied about, we have no alternative than to remove the thread, unless firm evidence is provided in advance.

Not doubting anyone's integrity - just trying to avoid any upset.

TIA,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

your right of course elton....so all i'll say is ....in the interest of "pike safety" the mr X above needs to take a responsibility check.

That said polly, is it even remotely possible that it could of been someone elses tackle irrisponsible left while they answer a call of nature or something?

fat, stupid hobbit.

this is where sportsmanship walks out the door, and selfishness walks in. Very Sad.

A well known general angler, who is sometimes on TV, has been seen to have numerous rods out. Alegedly his cameraman has one two rods, the sound recordist two rods and so on. Strangely though, which ever alarm goes off is on the great mans rod! But in that case I suppose it is excusable.

The famous angler who ties up so many swims, thus preventing others from fishing there, is thoughtless. The famous angler who breaks the rules, (and many other pikers do), is no sportsman. However, did the other four rods belong to friends of the famous man?

One thing that is worrying in this instance is that the Nunnery Lakes are owned by the British Trust for Ornithology, who are, at this moment, friendly to anglers. We need friends in the outside world, especially ones concerned with conservation and the environment. People who openly abuse the rules put this relationship at risk. An entirely selfish attitude.

If a top athlete breaks the rules, his result is disallowed. So it should be with anglers.

But then, what is sportsmanship? Take for example the well known piker who has caught many 20 pounders. Many of which were aquired from trout fisheries, stocked into his personal lake and then repeatedly caught. It's legal, no rules broken, but is it sporting? You catch one thirty six times, how many thirties have you caught?

Oh for the days of one rod in hand :D !

[ 12. January 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

take a camera next time ,put it on movie mode and say he has a run on a swim he`s not on ,and "i think the bite alarm isnt working" type stuff ,he leaves his swim ,instant "proof"

then report back with damming proof

[ 12. January 2004, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I personnaly think that a maximum of four rods is more than enough.Whilst I am a great believer in spreading the rods out as a better bite detection as well as good fish catching method I also feel here that there are sensible limits to distances.

I will not however slag another angler off without knowing the water or the circumstances personally.Whilst I can accept Polly airing his concerns neither him or his brother having had any experience of this water are really in a position to accuse this angler of deep hooking or any other of these things.The angler in question is hopefully fishing armed with knowledge of the water that he has gained.

I agree with Peters views in general.Not so sure about the selfishness of taking up several swims though as this IMO would depend on how many others were on the water and the Pike anglers willingness to vacate a swim if some one else wanted to fish there.

Once again though IMO I feel that six rods and sixty yards are a bit excessive though.

Polly would you/your bruv have been so agrieved if the angler in question had not been well known?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!