Top Pike Angler My Ar5e!!!!!!!!!!

Polly

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing how the LAW states that the MAXIMUM number of rods that may be used by any one angler (if he has two licences, each of which will allow him to use two rods each) is 4, the discussion about ethics goes straight out of the window. Especially when you also take into account, that ALL rods MUST be within effective control of the angler who holds the licence(s). No angler can let another "watch" a rod for him, unless the other angler holds his own licence.

In circumstances such as this, you could call the EA (0845 933 3111) and suggest that a licence inspection on the complex, could be warranted.

Personally, I'd get my licence out, show the "suspect" angler that I am a licence holder and ask to see his/her licence(s), which as a licence holder you are allowed to do. If the "suspect" cannot produce, you can report him/her to the EA.

If they do produce, but do not have enough licences to cover the number of rods in use (or if they are sitting in front of 4, but others are in another swim), you can remove the other rods, as they are litter, or lost property. Then, if you hand them in at the nearest police station, if they are not claimed within a period of time, they become yours. You will then get a pat on the back from me at least, for keeping the bankside clear of unneccesary detritis and obnoxious rubbish.

SAA works very hard to assist anglers who are willing to stick to bylaws and other rules. At times it seems like we are battling against people who just don't care. Angling does not need anyone, let alone alleged "Famous" anglers who break the angling laws.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Its wrong full stop, against the law and the angler concerned SHOULD be reported to the Club, the Police and the EA...I'm of a firm belief that if this angler is as you portray a known angler then he should also be named and shamed.

It is just possible that a young and easily influenced angler could meet up with said name and then grow up thinking it is okay to bend rules to suit, because so and so in a magazine does it..... I believe that its our duty to stop such rot before it sets into the minds of those who are not fully conversant with the law as applied to angling. By allowing it to continue we are encouraging lawbreaking, extreme though it is, it is akin to buying stolen goods or turning a blind eye to its existance.

From a personal standpoint I have yet to encounter such an occurrence on the bank, but I have had to challenge a No of anglers for rod licences and when in certain clubs through the years, I have demanded that individuals "follow" the rules as their club book suggests, I am slight in size but I have always maintained decorum in such circumstances and if need be, then I recruit the backing of anglers already on the bank, the EA or in two cases had a Police presence as the parties where drunk.

Polly, little bruv SHOULD report this poacher immediately to the club/controling body and if no joy is obtained there then the EA is next then the Police.

Just my opinion, two pennies worth etc etc..

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Jason Davies is a seriously nice bloke, especially for a copper !

He does know one or two 'top' pikers, possibly the angler concerned was there by invite. So, Polly, I wouldn't jump to too many conclusions. Jason doesn't normally tolerate poor angling practice.

I haven't met Jason recently but, unless he's retired from the force, he carries a warrent card, and has always been prepared to use it for fishery matters.

If you have the slightest concern then perhaps you could go and talk to Jason. He really is an okay bloke.

[ 12. January 2004, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Environment Agency Byelaws for fishing with rod and line state

"Tackle

Use of rods

No person shall fish with more than four rods and lines at the same time when fishing for coarse fish or eels. When fishing with multiple rods and lines, rods shall be placed such that the distance between the butts of the end rods does not exceed three metres."

Note 1. When three or four rods are used, a second rod licence must be purchased.

Note 2. The three metre distance mentioned above applies to two, three or four rods.

Note 3. Rods and lines set up away from the bank but with baited hooks, count as one of the maximum four rods.

Note 4. Three metres is about 1 1/2 times your outstretched arm lengths, fingertip to fingertip, unless you are a shortarse!

Brian

Please help conserve the European Freshwater eel

- return all eels alive to the water.

- Join the European Eel Anglers Association

I think the "top" pike angler refered to by polly must be the biggest arse in angling and obviously when describing his catches must have the greatest gap between his outstretched fingertips with just enough space to put his head! :P

Brian

Please help conserve the European Freshwater eel

- return all eels alive to the water.

- Join the European Eel Anglers Association

It's a bit worrying that a 'name' pike angler sould feel so inadequate about his own ability that he feels a need to break the rules.

My own view is that six rods is likely to hinder his success - he is certainly going to be less mobile. The aggro of reeling in six outfits and carting them down the bank means he's unlikely to move on a whim. And I've found so often that that whim - a sort of sixth sense, if you like - works more often than not.

That's probably why I prefer mobile fishing styles - boat fishing, lure fishing, roaming from swim to swim for chub.

If you lure fish for pike, for example, you'll learn more about your water in a day than you would in a month of static fishing.

I wonder if the young anglers who are seduced by new and bulky tackle items - bivvies, comfy chairs, rod pods, all the paraphernalia - realise they're reducing their chances of catching by being so comfortable and staying in one spot?

Yes, I know there are some crowded venues where it isn't practical to move from swim to swim. But I would endeavour to fish somewhere quieter, if that was the case.

But getting back to the original thread, the 'name' angler breaking the rules is nothing new. It has been going on in specimen hunting from at least the late 60s (when I started fishing for big fish). Whether it is "guesting" (ie poaching) on private carp lakes or smuggling livebaits into deadbaits-only pike waters, it is a way some anglers see as having an "edge" over others.

There are a lot of quiet, modest anglers who are every bit as good as the ones who appear in the angling press with big fish. They simply decline to publicise them. And most of them don't cheat.

There aren't very many heroes out there, really.

Fenboy

Polly,I think you should name the angler wheather he is famous or not.

Having six rods out and fishing with six rod he is breaking the law. :mad: :mad: :mad:

He should been reported to the Bailiff, the police and the EA. It is obvious he has done this before and he is getting away with it.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/