Underbank Reservoir(Stocksbridge)

monkeyboy

monkeyboy:

Does anyone know much about this water? I know where it is. But dont know whats in there or how to fish it.

Can anyone help?

P.S

where do i get a dayticket from?

mb

info on Underbank here

Roach are the main quarry, lots of 1lb plus specimens. Also perch, bream and it is stocked with trout each year. Some big pike in winter. Float fishing is difficult and blockend feeder with maggot is best. Lobworm for perch and bream. Try groundbait feeder for bream with caster and brandling.

Restrictions:- Not Known

MOST PRODUCTIVE PEGS:-

Not Known

NUMBER OF PEGS:-

This is a large, deep reservoir.

FACILITIES:-

Not Known

HOW TO BOOK:-

Telephone Yorkshire Water Services () on 01742 726421.

NEAREST PUB:-

Not Known

TICKETS:-

Day tickets:- £3.50 adults, £2.30 half day, £1.80 concessionary, £1.20 half day from the dispenser on the bank.

Season tickets:-

DIRECTIONS:-

From the end of the M67 (Manchester) follow the A628 towards Barnsley, after 16 miles turn right onto the A616 towards Sheffield. Approximately 3 miles down the road (before Stocksbridge) the reservoir is on the right, turn right down Manchester road and then right down Smithymoor lane. Park beside the dam.

(info courtesy R. Spencer )

and

you can get your ticket on-line here

DG :cool:

[ 14. May 2003, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Hi

may be worth doing some checking as it had changed hands so to speak,a fishing club leased it i think from yorkshire water recently,no more fishing off the dam wall,for safety reasons.lots of big pike,easy parking.no facilities although there is a pub at each end of the dam,the silver fox at the stocksbridge end and the mustard pot at the midhope -top end,no tackle shops around.will ask my hubby about it as he has fished there.hope this is useful,have you tried Dam Flask over Bradfield way

nursejudy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

• 2 weeks later...

i fish underbank quite often, its a difficult water, we dont usually blank but the bigger fish are difficult to target. theres always the chance of a biggie though, so we keep going back!

i'm not sure if it is still stocked with trout, it may be but i thought that had stopped a while ago

My dads told me its not easy fishing, he says i wont catch anything because im used to commercial carp lakes where fish near enough swim into your keepnet.

He also tells me tha it used to be stocked with trout.....there must still be some there!

Might be big too.

I wanted to go earlier for the pike but its too late now!

Does anyone know the best methods to use there for the non nasty fish?

• 5 months later...

Underbank used to be the finest roach venue in Yorkshire.It used to be full of pound plus specimens.This was late eighties early nineties.50lb nets of roach were not uncommon.Ive fished it few times this year and its been a pile of crap compared to what it used to be the only thing catching were the feckin cormorants!!

you wont blank, maybe not get the biggies, but you should get summat! plenty of pike, some massive, but i cant remember what the pike season is there, loads of perch, carp, silver fish etc

used to be my regular haunt, but i moved away from sheffield so i dont go there as often as i used to. but its deffo worth a visit