POLE CONNECTORS

Guest THE BAGGER

Guest THE BAGGER

I USE STONFLO CONNECTORS BUT HAVE NOTICED A LOT OF ANGLERS JUST TIE A KNOT IN THE ELASTIC AT THE END. HOW DO YOU CONNECT YOUR RIG TO THE ELASTIC IF YOU HAVE A KNOT AT THE END OF IT?

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Hi bagger

I have only recently started fishing with a pole (didn't wanna look like a garden gnome wink.gif)anyway i personally use a snap swivel to connect my rigs to my elastic & i also do the same on my lads 3m whips its easy to swap the rigs just unclip the swivel and put another one on!! biggrin.gif

ps before anyone else say's anything i will ,typing in caps is classed as shouting on the net wink.gif

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

Guest phil dean

I tend to use a stonfo, but if big fish are on the cards, (and someone will tie it for me)the notted elastic doesn't do as much damage to the end of the pole when your 14 elastic is snaped back at 70mph when the fish breaks you.

A friend uses a "mouses" ear and another uses a "crow foot", neither of which I can tie and any help from poledark or others would be appreciated as I've been snapped loads in the last few weeks (no-one told me those carp went up to 25lb).

Guest courtone@libertysurf.co.u

Hello Bagger

To use the knot in the elastic method you need to make a loop on the end of your rig line then pull another loop of the line through it, then slip the second loop behind the knot in the elastic and tighten like a lasso. Works a treat. biggrin.gif

Cheers Keith

------------------

courtone

Guest poledark

Stonfos for me, never let me down yet,BUT I have never tried the knotted elastic. It dont look to safe and I would be worried that the hooklink would cut thro it. It is probably OK for smallish fish but not for a ten minute battle with a lump on the end.

I expect that some of you may think my setup is crude but it does not matter if the knot holding the stonfo is pulled up tight enough to hide it inside the little cover, on my heavier elastics (12 upwards) I dont even bother to put the little covers on.

Any of you lads out there who want to get a real thrill should try fishing in the dark, on your own with a battery operated float and a lump of meat on the end.

If there are small fish about then you get any number of false alarms but just wait until a carp drags it under and all hell is let loose.

Tell me Phil do these fish break you on the first run or what? Did you manage to get the pole up high before you were broken? No offense meant but I ask this of everyone I meet who has lost big fish as It might help to establish a method to stop it happening.

I have been broken a few times by quite small fish (8lb or so) but this was because they took off so fast I never had the chance to get the pole up and bending.

I have tried to counter this by fishing with a few feet between the pole and the float which gives me a second or so before it starts to pull tight.

poledark (one day I'll get a thirty on the pole) biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest phil dean

usually on the first run, the major lumps do it when they realise they're hooked, the smaller ones (6lb to 10lb) have often started coming in and the problems have arrisen when they see the net, when the pole to length is at its shortest.

any advice gratefully accepted.

Re strength of knots, the liquid filled elastic comes with a knot tied at the end and is not designed to be used with a stonfo, but i did think it was designed for big fish.

I've had a 12lb carp on a crows foot and i've been snapped down the line by bigger, the elastic hasn't appeared damaged though I've only checked with the naked eye.

Guest bart4real

Hi, There are no advantages with fishing with a 'crows foot' type knot in the elastic whatsoever! Stick with stonflos. However, if you want to satisfy your curiosity by first trying this approach then this is how it is done; Tie an overhand loop in the elastic and then cut all sides of the loop away leaving a'star' shape in the elastic. To attach the rig you need to tie the same loop onto the mainline but you will need to tie an additional loop which, when pulled releases the rig so in effect you have two loops together. You attach them via a 'lassoe' style. Beware, this method will cause wear on the elastic and you will need to check it everytime you go fishing. Good luck!

Originally posted by THE BAGGER:

I USE STONFLO CONNECTORS BUT HAVE NOTICED A LOT OF ANGLERS JUST TIE A KNOT IN THE ELASTIC AT THE END. HOW DO YOU CONNECT YOUR RIG TO THE ELASTIC IF YOU HAVE A KNOT AT THE END OF IT?

Guest phil dean

OK, so why is the "hydro" elastic sold with crows foot etc, is it due to one of: laziness on the manufacturers part, inability to get a deal with stonfo,

belief in the reliability of the elastic used for their product; or

no-one could fasten the stonfo on...so there wasn't a choice.

Obviousley it wouldn't be greed ensuring that the elastic wears quickly and people have to buy new elastics all the time.

cynical...me....OK yes I am

Guest RUDD

I use stonflo connectors and have never had a problem.

The only thing is you must check the elastic near the connector for wesr and tear.

Last season I saw a top match angler lose a big tench when the elastic snapped at the connector in the final minutes of the match.

He came second by just under a pound, the tench was approx 4-5lb and would of one the match.

If you have balanced your elastic, main line, hooklenght and hook you should not get snapped unless using light gear and hook a big lump.

Here is a tip for carp which start to run.

If a carp runs to the left in open water,

dont pull right. Get your pole over to the left and the carp will usually turn round.

For some reason they like to pull the elastic, if they cant feel much resistance they stop running.

The crows foot method is used in continental match fishing where you have a lenght restriction on your pole. Alot of anglers dont even use a bush on their pole so that the pole is a few inchs longer (no cutting to fit bush). As there is no bush a stonflo connector rubs on the end of the pole.

A crows foot knot acts as a buffer when the elastic goes back into the pole.

RUDD

Guest bart4real

Hi, the Hydro elastic is sold that way as it is filled with liquid, So it is probably cheaper to do that. I have used it but there are problems when it comes to netting fish as the pressure increases at that stage. I think I would need to practice more with the stuff before I felt confident of using it again. The original idea came from catapult elastic which is hollow and it worked! Simon Gould used it in a team match at Longbridge lakes and landed a 14lb carp on .10 hooklength when we both fished for ABU Petersfield so I know there has been a lot of experimentation with it since. Try it and see how you get on with it.

Originally posted by phil dean:

OK, so why is the "hydro" elastic sold with crows foot etc, is it due to one of:  laziness on the manufacturers part, inability to get a deal with stonfo,

belief in the reliability of the elastic used for their product; or

no-one could fasten the stonfo on...so there wasn't a choice.

Obviousley it wouldn't be greed ensuring that the elastic wears quickly and people have to buy new elastics all the time.

cynical...me....OK yes I am