Would you transport livebaits?

markward

Look Mark, its a pretty pointless stupid question. Do you break the law ? did you really expect someone to say 'YES'

I don't know any pikers (and I know a fair few) who move livebait around. I'm predominently a lure angler myself but I'm happy to do a bit of bait fishing now and again and most waters we fish have an abundance of silver fish available. A pint of maggots and 30 minutes later we have enough bait in the baitwell to last the day.

Who actually wants to carry a heavy bait bucket around, keep livebait tanks, have to feed them and generally keep them alive in between trips? does it go on? of course it does on a small scale. I suspect a lot of what is described as 'moving fish' is that livebait from the previous day is taken home and brought back the next day. That also strikes me as unacceptable.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by markward:

Third time lucky.

It has become apparent to myself (over several years) that some pike fishermen would not only transport livebaits from one venue to another to use (without the necessary documentation) but would also recommend this behaviour as long as you didn't get caught. I
personally
feel this to be unacceptable behaviour and along with other like minded persons would make sure the person was exposed to be carrying out the practice and ultimately hope they were caught in the act and prosecuted for the offence.

Would you/have you done this and why?

Markw

If you're being a tad ironic with your question, I think you may need to clarify it a bit; maybe turn it around completely.

For sure it goes-on, and I personally would ensure that if I caught someone transferring anything to any of my lakes, I would get as much evidence as possible to assist in prosecuting them, and I'm pretty sure that other responsible bailiffs (on here and elsewhere) would do the same.

I agree with argyll that it's pretty pointless, although maybe quicker, to bring dodgy live-baits to a water .... if there are plenty of bait-fish there to be caught and legally used.

From what I gather though, the folks who do this, like to use perhaps bigger live-baits than are easily caught in situ or to use species that aren't already present in the venue, species that are very vigorous, tasty and with high stamina ... such as crucians or trout

DG

Scott, I thought we were talking about the "laws" of fishing.

I,m sure I have broken the speed limit, when driving my car, but I,m not sure what that has to do with anything.

My post wasn,t an application for sainthood, it was a comment on what so called "name" anglers are quite prepared to do, to further their reputations and it wasn,t limited to pike anglers.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Dont know why I am bothering to reply realy as it apears that very few bother to read posts properly any way!Most of the points mentioned have allready been covered.Them being asked or totaly ignored show this.

I will not be pedantic either Mark but as far as Im aware there is no law against transporting baits.Section 30 covers the introduction/stocking of fish into a water.

As I asked on the closed thread is it acceptable to catch some roach down the local cut on Friday afternoon keep them in a bucket then use them on the cut on Sunday?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

when the lake district debate was going on. I emailed the EA about livebaits transfering disease. I later had a phone call from them. There has not been any proven case where bait caught from one water and transfered to another has spread disease.

I do use live bait when and where its required but do not I repeat do not transfer them from another water.

Again catching bait taking it home to use a few days later is fraught with danger for that angler. Any EA bailiff needs proof that the bait was caught during that session. If its not forthcoming he will assume the worst. I have discussed this with an EA bailiff and that was his reply.