River Severn - Preston Boats

Rob Ward

A club I joined this season has a stretch of the Severn at Preston Boats.

Has anyone fished this stretch and what is the fishing like for Pike and Barbel in particular.

Also - am I right in thinking this stretch is just upstream of Atcham?

Can this be the same Preston Boats I fished in the late 60`s as a kid with St. Helens Ramblers.A wonderful club with lots of water and their own coach and drivers.Many a happy day was spent on the "Boats".

Sorry I can`t help,but it was nice to remember such places and times.

I fished this area several times in the 80's and 90's. It does hold big barbel, chub, pike, etc.

Main problem is car security, especially after dark. :( I know several anglers who have had bad experiences including cars blown up via ignited petrol tanks. :(

Better waters are Lymm Angling Club's stretch upstream of Shrewsbury, if they still have it, or BAA stretches downstream of Bridgnorth. The Telford Angling Association has some excellent lengths of the Severn, but again, be careful where you park! :(

Never leave tackle or anything else visable in your vehicle!

Tight lines,

Brian

Please help conserve the European Freshwater eel

- return all eels alive to the water.

- Join the European Eel Anglers Association

Kentar - the very same!

Brian - I don't have a BAA Ticket or Lymm and it's not worth me getting one for the odd occasion that I'll visit the Severn.

Any more info on the stretch would be appreciated - directions from the nearest A road more so!

In the first instance I would contact the Sectretary of Preston Boats, for details of access and fishing.

It is some time since I fished there so would not wish to give wrong or misleading information. You could try http://www.multimap.com or similar map based sites for road access to the Severn in that area. I do have quite a few Ordanance Survey maps of the Severn from Wales to below Worcester but they are now in the stacks of boxes in my loft. I'll have to dig them out after Xmas and advertise them.

Brian

Please help conserve the European Freshwater eel

- return all eels alive to the water.

- Join the European Eel Anglers Association