Fishing nets ban to protect birds

Elton

I trust there's a bit more to it than this, because it currently appears that the human foodchain and some fishermen's livelihoods are less important than a few birds:

A bay in West Cornwall has been closed off to net fishing after a number of sea birds got tangled up.

Short article here --> http://www.atlantic.fm/news/cornwall-news/...ect-birds-2400/

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I trust there's a bit more to it than this, because it currently appears that the human foodchain and some fishermen's livelihoods are less important than a few birds:

Short article here --> http://www.atlantic.fm/news/cornwall-news/...ect-birds-2400/

As reported on the Rodbenders site yesterday ‘Unusual byelaw activated.’

The unique Cornish byelaw to protect diving birds in St Ives Bay has been activated today. The byelaw was introduced to protect sea birds in the area when conditions lead to a pre-set amount of birds a caught and drowned by gill net fishing in the area. Current conditions have seen the threshold reach and a 21 day closure of the fishery has resulted.

New penalties with fines of up to £50,000 are now in force and the closure will remain effective for 21 days.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chief Fishery Eddy Derriman appeared on local BBC News yesterday to explain the history and why the byelaw was activated, the news report concluded that while no fishermen were prepared to come on camera they were complaining that they would have to travel further to catch fish which was considered dangerous and that they find it hard to believe the authority put birds before humans making a living.

I find that strange because I sit on the byelaw review committee and while reviewing this very byelaw just two weeks ago two fishermen on the committee made no objection to the renewal of the byelaw and the CFO made the point that fishermen in genral supported the byelaw.

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

This is an unusual byelaw Elton the bit that I can’t understand is the reporting by the BBC.

If they can’t get fishermen on camera why report they are complaining when they probably are not.

This is not the first time this particular news department have given a slanted view, they twisted facts on the coastguard issue on more than one occasion and in one instance failed to point out an obvious failing on the part of the MCA in favour of pushing for the retention of the setup, hardly credible when lives are at risk.

This is not the first time this particular news department have given a slanted view, they twisted facts ...

Steady on Bob, this is the BBC we're talking about; we all pay for it through the license fee.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Steady on Bob, this is the BBC we're talking about; we all pay for it through the license fee.

The BBC always has an angle on things before it puts together a report I have been caught out several times by them and would not trust any of the media.

Its a totally daft bye-law but the bird lobby have incredible powers and I am sure that Natural England or whatever they now call themselves are dancing to their tune particularly in relation to closures of intertidal shellfish beds.

Its quite funny though really because whenn trawlers were fising at their peak dumping thousands of tons of discards, sea bird populations were at an all time high, with all those easy dinners. Fleet reduction and restricted fishing effort has also affected sea bird populatios. There are arguments in every direction with this depending upon whose fence you want to sit on!

The BBC always has an angle on things before it puts together a report I have been caught out several times by them and would not trust any of the media.

Its a totally daft bye-law but the bird lobby have incredible powers and I am sure that Natural England or whatever they now call themselves are dancing to their tune particularly in relation to closures of intertidal shellfish beds.

Its quite funny though really because whenn trawlers were fising at their peak dumping thousands of tons of discards, sea bird populations were at an all time high, with all those easy dinners. Fleet reduction and restricted fishing effort has also affected sea bird populatios. There are arguments in every direction with this depending upon whose fence you want to sit on!

What you call daft the RSPB would call a result, conservationist too will be happy and all for a small bit of lee way. This byelaw could have closed the area permanently but instead it locks it down for just a short time. Once the Sprat have moved on the problem will diminish and the area reopened. Indeed had the weather not been so bad the nets would have been soaked during darkness and then there would have been no problem.

The IFCAs have a duty to all stakeholders now, not just the fishing fraternity though to be fair this byelaw has been around for a few years and this is the first time a closure has been necessary.

What you call daft the RSPB would call a result, conservationist too will be happy and all for a small bit of lee way. This byelaw could have closed the area permanently but instead it locks it down for just a short time. Once the Sprat have moved on the problem will diminish and the area reopened. Indeed had the weather not been so bad the nets would have been soaked during darkness and then there would have been no problem.

The IFCAs have a duty to all stakeholders now, not just the fishing fraternity though to be fair this byelaw has been around for a few years and this is the first time a closure has been necessary.

I'm a bit old school having financed my life indirectly through the fishing industry, and find it hard to cope with dog walkers and bird watchers managing fisheries but that is what becomes of being a 'Daily Express' reading Victor Meldrew! The explanation you give makes sense and keeps everyone happy.

Despite my experience in fisheries I accept that the time has come for some new blood to manage things, my generation have done the damage to many of the worlds resources, but I am not going to hold my head in shame, as we thought that those resources were endless. We know better now and it is time to stand back and let someone else sort it out.

Its hard not to have a snipe at the way it is being done though! When I was in my 20's and 30's I had plenty of old timers sniping at me and it made me a stronger character so no harm done. I am sure I will keep sniping for a bit longer yet.

I'm a bit old school having financed my life indirectly through the fishing industry, and find it hard to cope with dog walkers and bird watchers managing fisheries but that is what becomes of being a 'Daily Express' reading Victor Meldrew! The explanation you give makes sense and keeps everyone happy.

Despite my experience in fisheries I accept that the time has come for some new blood to manage things, my generation have done the damage to many of the worlds resources, but I am not going to hold my head in shame, as we thought that those resources were endless. We know better now and it is time to stand back and let someone else sort it out.

Its hard not to have a snipe at the way it is being done though! When I was in my 20's and 30's I had plenty of old timers sniping at me and it made me a stronger character so no harm done. I am sure I will keep sniping for a bit longer yet.

Well Clive you’re a breath of fresh air by putting your hand up and to some degree taking some of the blame, I to find it hard to take on board all these other stakeholders having a say in ‘fishery management’ but it does remind us that it is a common rescores.

I can’t support your analogy that your/my generation thought this to be an endless resource the prophets of doom were raising their voices way back in the sixties to my knowledge when the first factory ships came over the horizon. Fact is no one took it seriously and some still don’t.

There's a call to extend the ban now:

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Second-bat...tail/story.html