Angling Quotations

Guest Chris Plumb

Guest Chris Plumb

I quoted a piece by Arthur Ransome on the ESP thread a couple of days ago and that got me thinking about classic pieces of angling writing. Anyone got any quotes/pieces they like/enjoy/are inspired by? Here's one to get you going - another one of my favourites which for me captures the magic of being by the water at night.

From Confessions of a Carp-fisher by "B.B." (1950)

"To him (the carp fisher), when he hears the heavy splash of some big questing carp, there comes a delicious shiver to visit his spine, running up and down it like the flicker of a serpent's tongue. And how many are the noises one hears beside the water at fall of night! Some can be guessed at and mental pictures formed of what manner of creatures they are - others leave one mystified. Nor is the water really still when the sun has gone. Ever and again a ripple passes through the reeds, something patters and squeaks, lily pads stir and shudder, hidden gleams come and go. It is an hour bewitched."

Great stuff, eh?

Chris

------------------

"Study to be quiet."

[This message has been edited by Chris Plumb (edited 22 July 2001).]

Guest Steve Burke

The easiest one to look up was this quotation from an article by Dick Walker that we book into The Book of the Perch.

"Which of them can boast stripes like a jungle animal? Which of them has vivid vermilion-orange fins and tail, or an iridescent blue chin? Which of them can produce such a bite as a perch? Watch your line or float, when a perch takes the bait – you can almost imagine the fish saying, “Want a fight chum? All right, here I am – now let’s get stuck in”.

And when you’ve been playing a nice perch haven’t you noticed how other perch will chase around with it – obviously asking, “Is this a private scrap or can anyone join in?” You see, not only is the perch the biggest fish there is; it knows it.

Every perch even the tiniest, is convinced of this. The perch is afraid of nothing. Perhaps I have written, in the past, that perch are easily scared. If so, I apologise to them. Of course they aren’t scared; they’re just prudent.

If you give them sufficient reason, of course they’ll sheer off and refuse to bite. The Biggest Fish in the River isn’t going to play about with novices who show themselves on the bank."

The only problem with this topic is that I've now got to re-read all my Chris Yates books over the next few days. Ain't life a bitch! smile.gif

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest Vagabond

John Geirach :-

" I guess there are only two sorts of fisherman - those in your own party, and the ass-h*les"

It was written very much tongue in cheek, and is worth reflecting upon if you find yourself in a "them and us" debate.

------------------

Vagabond

Guest Chris Plumb

On the same theme - from Maurice Wiggin

"Of course folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike"

Chris

------------------

"Study to be quiet."

Guest trent.barbeler

Chris,

When I am trudging along meadows in heavy rain to reach a far off but treasured pitch, I remember the words.

When I am sitting half froze waiting through an endless winters night for a bite that probably wont come.

I remember the words.

Even when I am fortunate enough to catch a huge amount of fish right throughout the whole night that leaves me exhausted,

I remember the words.

"I'll be glad when I've had enough of this"

Fred.J.Taylor. Love him to bits.

Guest trent.barbeler

Chris,

When I am trudging along meadows in heavy rain to reach a far off but treasured pitch, I remember the words.

When I am sitting half froze waiting through an endless winters night for a bite that probably wont come.

I remember the words.

Even when I am fortunate enough to catch a huge amount of fish right throughout the whole night that leaves me exhausted,

I remember the words.

Fred.J.Taylor. Love him to bits.

Guest Chris Plumb
Originally posted by trent.barbeler:

Chris,

B]

So good you said it twice! biggrin.gif

------------------

"Study to be quiet."