Angling Quotations

Guest Chris Plumb

• 2 weeks later...

Nicked this quote from www.Purepiscator.com today - made me laugh.

If we carry fishing purism to it's logical conclusion, to do it right you'd have to live naked in a cave, hit your trout on the head with rocks, and eat them raw. But, so as not to violate another essential element of the fly-fishing tradition, the rocks would have to be quarried in England and cost $300.

- John Gierach

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• 1 year later...

Firstly no I make no apologies for resurrecting this great thread of old! :rolleyes:

Came across this lovely line from HT Sheringham in "Weir-pools,Worms, Tea & Barbel" which was first published in Coarse Fishing in 1912 - but which also appears inThe River Prince. bemoaning the lack of inherant interest in ledgering he goes on to say:

"A float is a great dispeller of ennui."

Made me smile... :)

C.

• 2 years later...

'Bout time this thread saw the light of day again - one of my all time AN favourites - and as someone sent me this quote today - which I hadn't seen before and is not listed here already it seemed the perfect excuse to resurrect it..... :sun:

"The fishing fever is easy to contact (one gets a few fish and is oneself caught) and almost impossible to cure.
It is a life sentence.
The number of " backsliders" is next to nil."

Sums it up really! :rolleyes:

Don't know the author - anyone?

C.

"The fishing fever is easy to contact (one gets a few fish and is oneself caught) and almost impossible to cure.

It is a life sentence.

The number of " backsliders" is next to nil."

Don't know the author - anyone?

Sounds like Arthur Ransome to me.

one of his that I like is

"There are bad fishing inns that buy stuffed fish in glass cases and hang them in their halls as a sort of ground bait"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Sounds like Arthur Ransome to me.

one of his that I like is

"There are bad fishing inns that buy stuffed fish in glass cases and hang them in their halls as a sort of ground bait"

Yep its a good one that Dave, but maybe it should be reworded for the modern glossy mag bivvie brigade. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Go on then: I'll bite :rolleyes:

Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl - Ernest Hemingway

The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t - Not sure!