CENTRE PIN REELS

spanishstyle

Peter and Leon and Spanish style:- Take the Advice that Glen has offered and get the Okuma Adventia Pro it is a vastly superior piece of kit and half the price of the Greys reel which is in my opinion overpriced and having used both isn't anything like as good as the Okuma seriously!

[ 22. December 2004, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Alan Roe ]

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Waller:

The Greys centre-pin would be my new reel of choice, I can only drool when I pick one up!

'tis the present I bought myself for Christmas this year Peter :o )

Very nice and light - perfect for trotting for grayling/roach etc. A lovely reel. Overpriced at RRP though - I won/bought mine from eBay for just over £100.

Alan Roe:

Peter and Leon and Spanish style:- Take the Advice that Glen has offered and get the Okuma Adventia Pro it is a vastly superior piece of kit and half the price of the Greys reel which is in my opinion overpriced and having used both isn't anything like as good as the Okuma seriously!

I think it's worth saying that general opinion (from others - I haven't handled either myself yet) is that the Aventa VT1002 (the "PRO" model which runs on ball-bearing races) is definitely the one to go for, compared to the more basic VT1000. The VT1002 is about £20 more but worth the extra money.

Personally I really do like the Bewick though (but I accept it is much more expensive).

[ 22. December 2004, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Spindle ]

Just bear in mind, ss, that if you are intending to Wallis Cast with your new reel -- at least, Wallis Cast well and effortlessly (distance achieved) - the reel that you choose must not only be very free-running but also very light in the drum -- light in weight. Some reels that I have / have had over the years / have spun wonderfully with the merest flick of the handle, but were absolute dogs for Wallis Casting, the lovely looking, old Adcock Stanton reel being one of these: too heavy in the spool, too much start-up inertia for good Wallis Casting making life difficult if you are casting very light float tackle... However, if you merely want to fish lead or a float with a "released loops of line" cast, any free-running CP will do. Take a good look at a number of reels. I'll try and take look at the Aventa myself. If it is very light in the spool, I might be tempted....

[ 22. December 2004, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Paul I Wallis cast and truth to tell taught Spindle amongst many,many others. I have an Okuma Adventia Pro and can personally testify that you can Wallis Cast long distances with this reel I agree with you about the Adcock Stanton and especially the 5" model it was a pain to Wallis cast with!

My Okuma takes as least as well as most of my own True pins which include a couple of Richard Carters and My Beloved Browning Revolver my Bob James (Youngs)Version I have always regarded as a hybrid and in the case of this latter reel the Okuma is definately the better!

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Peter trust me on this one the Adventia pro spool is beautifully light and the bearings are very low inertia I have used both reels and without any hesitation I bought the Okuma.....

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

heard good things about the aventa though not used one.

personally i love my youngs purist 2 and john wilson model. lovely reels along with an original allcocks aerial match.

by the way did anyone see the angling times reel survey. the youngs purist 2 was second, that was a shock to me, i hardly ever see anyone round my way using pins at all.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Alan Roe:

Paul I Wallis cast and truth to tell taught Spindle amongst many,many others. I have an Okuma Adventia Pro and can personally testify that you can Wallis Cast long distances with this reel I agree with you about the Adcock Stanton and especially the 5" model it was a pain to Wallis cast with!

My Okuma takes as least as well as most of my own True pins which include a couple of Richard Carters and My Beloved Browning Revolver my Bob James (Youngs)Version I have always regarded as a hybrid and in the case of this latter reel the Okuma is definately the better!

Great.

Where did you pick up 'the habit', Alan?

Alan Tomkins?

He sorta picked up 'the habit' from me!

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Alan Roe:

Paul I Wallis cast and truth to tell taught Spindle amongst many,many others.

Yep... and I'll never forgive him....

[cos this centrepin fetish is costing me a fortune!! :D ]

Paul, I managed to get hold of a copy of your Wallis Cast article from "Angling". A very good article, slightly different style to the way Alan taught me.

Alan (Roe) has his own style - if you can play my silly video (see link below - it's sometimes a bit funny with some media player versions) you'll see me *try* to explain the Alan Roe method.

Interestingly I've just borrowed a Bewick (until mine arrives), and have just acquired an old Speedia. That Bewick is nice... but I really love that Speedia...!!!

(oh, by the way, Paul - I'm Glenn Smith - we spoke on "the other forum" about trying to track down the name of FWK Wallis. Still not found out any more... :( )

[ 22. December 2004, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Spindle ]