Pike Anglers: Compulsory Courses?

AddictedToScopex

Pike Course  

51 members have voted

1. 1. As an experienced pike angler would you object to having to attend a "handling/Unhooking" course prior to being able to fish a water for pike?

• NO
    • YES

What really gets up my nose is everyone who is against it is thinking of themselves and not the fish weather it be ego, effort or money or time it to them is more inportant than the fish.

Exactly why I'm surprised that some have been against it! I rather naively maybe expected all those who actually knew about pike to think it would be such a step forward that they would gladly go along for a few hours so the ones who didn't know were either educated or rooted out!

Surely proper pike anglers would swallow anything to improve the situation just a little bit? I'm going to post the same thing on the PAC site out of interest see what most there think.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I ask - have those who are against such schemes ever been to one of these teach-ins, or fished waters where a scheme like this is practiced?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Most Ive instructed on even the guys who knew the score said they enjoyed meeting other pikers from the area/club and just the general "get together" "chat pike stuff" aspect as well.Some did admit they were a bit put out at first but if it helped then it was worth it.

The trouble is, nobody thinks they need it themselves. This kind of scheme (if well-run) ensures that people know what they're doing, especially those who think they are pike gods who are above such things!

On the FAS one I went to, there was a such a guy who kept muttering about waste of time. When it came to his turn to handle the pike he freaked out, lost his nerve and got a very nice gill-rashed hand as a souvenir :D

I really can't understand objections to schemes like that, it simply means that those who do fish for the pike (and the pike themselves) don't have to put up with idiots like that.

First Anderoo, I don't object to it if it's voluntary for people who need it but do object to being forced to do it if/when you already know as much or more than the instructors !

Ok, i've seen lots of people struggling to unhook a fish when using size 18 barbless ! Should everyone including people who've been fishing for many moons go on a course to be shown how to unhook any fish ?

Next thing it will be compulsay and you'll need to pay for the privelige ...a crock of shite imo.

We can keep thinking up new trivial and silly rules forever !

I'm for it. I might learn something and that's got to be good

I occasionally get gill-rashed too but its mainly those naughty little jacks that do it... why I have a glove... sometimes I put it on :lol:

I agree with Dales and John, it'll only have an affect on those that already do a fairly good job of it already.

The rest will 'bounce' like Tigger and go and do harm to fish on un-policed waters instead. I'm not suggesting that you do Tigger, but they will have essentially the same outlook as you.

It won't happen on a large enough scale to make a difference to the waters most at risk unfortunately. It just won't.

The Otters'll get 'em all first anyway so what're we all worried about?

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Can I ask - have those who are against such schemes ever been to one of these teach-ins, or fished waters where a scheme like this is practiced?

I haven't and I just couldn't be arsed wasting my time to do so. Why should I go out of my way to be shown something I already know ?

I've got better things to do with my time.

As a newby to piking i'd relish the idea to be able to be taught proper pike handling and unhooking. However I would never say that it should be compulsory, how patronising for the anglers that have been pike fishing for 30 years or whatever.

Good idea but shouldnt be made compulsory

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Exactly.

How many annoyed stories have we heard on here alone about people having to remove old traces from pike? And when a proposal is put forward that would help prevent that kind of mistreatment, people get all funny about it!

Because some have not come across a pike with a old trace in it. I bet some have never fished for pike or have left the trace in themselves not knowing how to un hook it.

Its a very easy moral ground that everyone wants to hear and some want to fit in. Most of that group who have NOT experienced it get all funny about it. those who have in general won't.

Not tarring everyone here but some.

Example. a lad who was fishing for pike i had a little chat to once as i was passing by. It was about other things this very subject and then off went his buzzer . I started to think he should have had this fish in by now and i said shall i net it in which he said no its ok you get to your swim i have kept you chatting well i knew straight away and i thought if i do not he is going to play this pike all day so i moved on but at a distance so i could see what happened well you guessed it he had not a ruddy clue. And yet he told me it was disgrace people do not know how to handle a pike.

Then yes i swear to you here and now he cut the trace . i fished on and decided on a break and walked to the lodge for a cuppa and said ' How big was the pike and he said it was only a jack but i tell you something mate it had a trace in it. did you remove it i said? Yes offcoarse i did. at this point i bet he was nervous i was going to ask to see it after all were was he going to put it to tell me he had thrown it away but i thought no point damage done and hopefully his conscience got the better of him

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

First Anderoo, I don't object to it if it's voluntary for people who need it but do object to being forced to do it if/when you already know as much or more than the instructors !

Ok, i've seen lots of people struggling to unhook a fish when using size 18 barbless ! Should everyone including people who've been fishing for many moons go on a course to be shown how to unhook any fish ?

Next thing it will be compulsay and you'll need to pay for the privelige ...a crock of shite imo.

We can keep thinking up new trivial and silly rules forever !

But it would have to be compulsory to make it worth while surely Ian? And the reason I said earlier that it shouldn't be administered by the likes of the PAA was so that it didn't become a money making scam that would not only put people off but stop some from being able to attend.

If I went to one where the guy instructing wasn't up to it I would certainly speak up as well! But once again if it was handed over to a body like the PAC (just for example) then surely their pride alone would ensure the right guys were chosen?

As a newby to piking i'd relish the idea to be able to be taught proper pike handling and unhooking. However I would never say that it should be compulsory, how patronising for the anglers that have been pike fishing for 30 years or whatever.

Good idea but shouldnt be made compulsory

But how else would you know who could walk the walk and who just talks the talk? As Anderoo mentioned its inevitable those who "think" they know it all that dont want to attend! Its kind of like the why refuse a breathalyser when you know you've not been drinking thing?

Surely no skin of the experts nose to prove he knows his stuff and the pay back is he then knows that all those who are sharing his pike fishing know what to do and so hopefully wont be spoiling his fishing?