Pike Anglers: Compulsory Courses?

AddictedToScopex

Pike Course  

51 members have voted

1. 1. As an experienced pike angler would you object to having to attend a "handling/Unhooking" course prior to being able to fish a water for pike?

• NO
    • YES

Chav,

I agree, it is important anglers be good stewards of our natural resources. I think, if I read between the lines correctly, the hundreds of threads on this subject have a lot to do with a rather limited resource - pike. And, an attempt that seems somewhat successful, toward changing attitudes about a fish that was once thought to be a "trash fish"... (?)

As I said, in my travels to England in the 70's pike weren't on the front burner as a topic of conversation. At least that was true among carp fishermen of the era.

We have so many various pike(s) it was hard to get my head around the topic.

The subject of using live bait vs the same creature someone else killed is not an angling topic over here. It's not even on PETA's agenda.

Phone

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JV,

Grayson says, "I find it morally unacceptable". Since the previous sentense has multiple subjects - one can't figure out what "IT" is. It sounds to me like in his heart of hearts he finds angling "morally unacceptable"?

Grayson, Is "it" live bait - i.e. lobs - you object to?

Phone

The only reason I have contributed to th thread is to mention that I find livebaiting unacceptable- and to take lessons in fish welfare from people who do livebait is a little ironic. IT is what is referred to - tethering a live fish for bait by impaling it through the back etc.

I do use maggots and lobworms- just shows what a moral minefiled we sometimes create for ourselves. And of course I am not anti angling- having done it for 50 years I'd be lost without it. Do understand that I respect other people's right to livebait and I'd defend their right to do so.

The only reason I have contributed to th thread is to mention that I find livebaiting unacceptable- and to take lessons in fish welfare from people who do livebait is a little ironic. IT is what is referred to - tethering a live fish for bait by impaling it through the back etc.

I do use maggots and lobworms- just shows what a moral minefiled we sometimes create for ourselves. And of course I am not anti angling- having done it for 50 years I'd be lost without it. Do understand that I respect other people's right to livebait and I'd defend their right to do so.

Grayson thanks for responding ..i understand why some find it a no no ,We need a bit more unity as a whole and i do hate the i dont do it so want it banned mentality ,He uses flouro for Perch/Zander you know hang him etc .

Good post hope you had a great day yesterday Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Grayson,

I'm with you 100%. Not on livebaiting but my bug-a-boo is ON SNAGGING. We have a 'season' that allows jerking a 12/0 treble hook through the water and 'snagging' fish. It has become a discussting sport to this old man. I confess, I did it when I was younger. The fish rarely get eaten. The river water gets in the wound and spoils the flavor of the meat.

You don't like lives - don't use lives. That simple.

Phone

(sorry, nothing to do with pike)

Edited by Phone

Grayson,

I'm with you 100%. Not on livebaiting but my bug-a-boo is ON SNAGGING. We have a 'season' that allows jerking a 12/0 treble hook through the water and 'snagging' fish. It has become a discussting sport to this old man. I confess, I did it when I was younger. The fish rarely get eaten. The river water gets in the wound and spoils the flavor of the meat.

You don't like lives - don't use lives. That simple.

Phone

(sorry, nothing to do with pike)

you are a wind up merchant phone, you used that on another topic until everyone was shouting at the tops of thier keyboards, remember.

Ohh best bit of fishing i joined in with this year, live baiting with mackeral using a float method for the bass, ru@@y good fun that was, ohh and using a treble through the nose. Only difference, we eat all we take and it's in the sea. Does that make us nasty horrible anglers, only in the eye's of some.happy holidays.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Barry,

If it takes one to call one you have my number. I believe you're the pot calling the kettle black.

Phone

ha ha ha, over here we call that ripping. The mullet club would have babies if they found out anyone fishing for thier beloved using that method. Yours is worse than my live baiting btw. :lol:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

i agree its not on the same level as getting a actual driving licence & that fish are just fish ,not just pike are in danger of being killed by incompitant anglers all fish are in danger.and a test would be a minimal safeguard not just for the fishes safty but the anglers

by the way we have a two part driving test ,the first is the competency/theory test .a multi choice question test ,get this wrong and your not allowed too do the practical actual driving test .which is why i used it as a example ,if a angling test was a precurser to a licence ,fail the test no licence no chance to kill any fish .a test might not completely save all fish from being murded ,but it might make a angler think about what they're doing when handling fish and hopefully have a bit more sense of what dangers we all take for granted when we go fishing .

Of course, they might just not bother with the training, the test - and the license ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Not sure where this thread is going: livebaiting, taking a course to pike fish or taking a test to have a fishing license?

Livebaiting:

I do not livebait but that is down to my own conscience only. I respect other peoples right to livebait and if it was going to be banned i would protest said ban.

Taking a fish handling course to fish for pike on a water:

Personally I would just see this as a hassle, and there would have to be some pretty good fishing to make me do the course just to fish the water. I think a free, optional pike handling course for new pike anglers joining a club would be a good idea. If I had to take a course on pike handling and care to join a club, again I would do so if the club was one I had a particular desire to join but if not again I would just see it as hassle. For me it would just be an inconvenience but that is my only opinion on it.

Having to take a fish handling test to be able to have a rod license:

I would be against this as it would just encourage more people to not buy a license. I would also resent it and i'm sure many other anglers would. IMO a better idea, which I know many clubs and day ticket waters do, is to have a mentor to teach new anglers on basic fishing techniques and fish care and handling, if the person fishing would like a bit of help they can have it, if not they don't have to, but someone to spend an hour teaching a new angler how to use a disgorger and a landing net is better than having to take a test.

Just my two cents worth.

Dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

i think live baiting is a very simple issue and comes down to one simple question.

Is it right or wrong to put a hook in a fish?

If it is ok to put a hook in a fish does it make any difference what so ever where the hook goes?

i tend to do more dead baiting for Pike/Zander then live baiting just for convenience but if cat fishing which is likely to include bivving up for multiple nights then I will take the time to catch and use lives.

Interestingly if you buy a pack of frozen Perch dead baits you will almost always find a few fish with hooks in there mouth or more commonly nylon string coming up from the stomach leading me to believe these are harvested by set long lines and i am sure they are gut hooked for a very long time until collected. So if period of tethering is an issue i am sure many a dead bait experiences the same as a livo.

it's amazing how many anglers think it's ok to lip hook a live on a single but not to present it any other way i guess if we hook most fish in the lip then it should be ok to live bait the same way :rolleyes:

does it really matter where you put the hooks i doubt fish have any preference to where they get hooked

i enjoy eating fish from the sea and i am sure that the way the are fished for includes lees welfare they the way fresh water anglers care for there fish and so shoule we suggest that the fisher man on trawlers should go on a fish welfare and handling coarse? or is that different becasue the fish are going to be killed anyway? once you go downa road of making lots of rules and segregations you will soon find yourself on unsteady ground. once you go down the road of setting out rules on welfare and fish handling then you start a rock rollijng that can never go back.

so my question is it right of wrong to put hooks in fish?

Edited by azrael

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur