Hi there AN Forums :)

Esskie

Hi there,

My 1st post after registering so hopefully a wee chance to say hello to a few of you and maybe make some new, like-minded friends too.

I'm located on the East coast of Scotland on the Forth, well nearer the mouth of the Forth where it's a little more open sea.

Although I enjoy freshwater fishing my main love is shore fishing, even better if its with a nice big peeler crab bait intended for a smoothhound or bass!!

On freshwater, course fishing is something I began taking a keen interest in last year after getting the urge to add a carp to my species list but it was late in the year so decided to pursue it more, plus a bigger carp, later this year.

Pike is a species I'd really love to have a wee bash at too so there's plenty on the list still just lack of time, finances or both to go catch em :)

Hopefully I can gain some info from this forum but its not all take!, if I can contribute as much as I take then balance has been achieved :)

Cheers & Tight Lines, SK

Hello Esskie, and welcome to the forums :thumbs:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Hello Esskie, and welcome to the forums :thumbs:

Hi there John,

Much obliged for the first reply to my first post on Angler's Net Forums ;)

Anyone near me in S.E Scotland, East Lothian to be specific?

I'm always well up for meeting other anglers and wetting a line!

Best Regards, SK

We do have some members from up nawth but not sure exactly where they are in relation to where you are.

At any rate, welcome to the forums. You'll probably want to post questions on both the coarse and sea forums where more people will see them than they would here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

We do have some members from up nawth but not sure exactly where they are in relation to where you are.

At any rate, welcome to the forums. You'll probably want to post questions on both the coarse and sea forums where more people will see them than they would here.

Hi Newt,

Thanks for the warm welcome my friend

I'm located down the coast a ways from Edinburgh, Scotland which might give yourself a better idea where I am?

Not quite the Scottish Borders but almost, more 'The Lowlands'. Thankfully however I'm walking distance to the sea, have a nice river holding brown & rainbow trout with good heads of sea trout returning every year, that runs through my small town

As if that's not enough to be getting on with there's also a commercial fishery nearby with stocked rainbow over 3 spring-fed lochs

There is also a bait/course water there holding small trout, carp, tench and rudd, it was here I had my first foray into coarse angling having always been a sea/predator angler, I think I could wile away many a summer evening carp fishing quite happily though....providing the sea bass weren't biting that is! :)

I leave the salty stuff to you tough guys. :D :D

I spent a good part of 27 years military service at sea but never did get fond of it for fishing in. Lakes & rivers do it for me if I have a choice.

I am a bit geographically challenged and other than being pretty sure Scotland is north of England which is north of France, I'm clueless.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I spent a good part of 27 years military service at sea

I am a bit geographically challenged and other than being pretty sure Scotland is north of England which is north of France, I'm clueless.

North of France....How long were you at sea?!

Google 'Scotland, UK', I'm pretty sure it'll turn up something for you :)

No, no, no Newt, France is south of England :rolleyes:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Newt if you follow a latitude line of approx 50-56 degrees North it'll take you pretty much right across Edinburgh & my rough location ;)

I'd say I'm maybe 60-80 miles from the English border?. Mostly agricultural countryside, very fertile part of the country as it goes, with good access to a widely varying coastline so its usually possible to find a mark for the day even in the roughest of condx!.

Freshwater is what I 'cut my angling teeth on' I must say though

No, no, no Newt, France is south of England :rolleyes:

Yup. If England is north of France, it logically follows that France is south of England. :P I ain't that geographically challenged.

Thanks Esskie. Sounds like a great place to live.

My wife & I spent a couple of great weeks in England visiting & fishing with people we'd electronically "met" on Anglers' Net and had plans to do the same to Scotland the next year but she developed some health issues then the economy went to he11 in a hand basket (my retirement fund melted faster than an ice cube in a hot oven) so that never happened.