Extra Water..................

Severn Wolf

Thanks to the gods of fishing my planned weekend of a bit of fly fishing the Vrynwy looks like it may be scuppered.

Being that I`ve never had a river fish on the fly and especially a dry then I hoped this trip might lay this to rest. However, thanks to the rain the river is going to be up a bit and more than likely carrying extra colour. It does run off well though so all may not be in vain but a bit of advice off the more experienced fly fishers would be appreciated.

Theres a few trout in the stretch but plenty of small dace and grayling which are the main target (I just want to catch ANYTHING at this stage!)

Is it worth packing the fly rod or should I just leave that for another week and concentrate on the barbel?

wolf.gif

Nice one, thats given me some confidence!

Going to ask a really daft question now........

Is casting upstream or downstream down to personal preference, swim restrictions or is there presentation issues regarding conditions?

As you can probably tell, this will be the first time the fly rod has been used for `proper` fly fishing, I normally use it on small carp!

Oh, I`ve had a mooch through the fly box and theres definitely some Klinks in there :D

wolf.gif

Hi Severn, I have only been fly fishing for about 5 years, but I find it is something of a combination in presentation, swim type and personal preference. Personally I like to fish across and upstream. I find it easier to mend. Fly type also dictates alot of the time.

I think my ultimate goal is to be ambidextrous in my chucking. I've been working on it for a long time. Very frustrating!

I haven't been out with the fly rod since I got my yak. I may be after grayling this weekend if I can sneak out for an hour or two.

Good Luck!

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

in coloured and high water you will need a big dry fly like the grey wolf or sedge...or else you could try the wet upstream often the trout will take it under the surface when they wont take it on the surface..if you are fishing the wet and the water is high then use a fly with a bit of silver on it like the silver invicta and a butcher..often when you are working the wet fly in the curent the flash of silver will attract the fish and they will think it is a minnow which is what they feed on in high water..

good luck

sean

"two men were standing on the bank of the river and one says to the other"how can i catch a fish?? and the other replied "you keep your bait in the water!!!"

That's good advice Sean, if I can manage to get out tomorrow I may need it. The water was extremely high this afternoon where I want to go...

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

ya same where i am...im just back from the river now and there is lovely water there and the sedges were on the move and i didnt see head nor tail of a trout..often repeated flooding isnt good because the trout get sick from all the dirty water going into there gills so they just sulk on the bottom of the river and wont touch a bait or a fly..

"two men were standing on the bank of the river and one says to the other"how can i catch a fish?? and the other replied "you keep your bait in the water!!!"

I'm just back from the upper Liffey. We had a competition this evening with high coloured water. There was little or no natural hatch or rise but we got fish on both dry fly and nymphs.

I got the most again ;)

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..