Have you ever had to produce your Licence ever?

Dave H

How many times have YOU WHO HAVE FISHED FOR 5 YEARS + BEEN ASKED TO PRODUCE YOUR LICENCE?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU BEEN ASKED TO SHOW YOUR LICENCE ONLY 5 YEARS OF FISHING EXPERIENCE CAN VOTE PLEASE

• NEVER
    • ONCE
    • TWICE
    • THREE
    • FOUR
    • FIVE
    • SIX
    • SEVEN
    • EIGHT
    • NINE
    • TEN +

One of my clubs has given the gate keys to the local NRA enforcement officers so they can come onto the clubs private grounds any time they want and check members for rod licences and apparently they prosecuted 4 members last year who didn't have their rod licence.

However the controlling club have had a lot of help from them over the years such as emergency air pumps and boats and advice and sienne nets and help with fish stocking after pollution incidents from a local company that used to regularly pollute our estate lake etc. Although we had to rely on the ACA whenever it was necessary to bring the polluters to justice in the courts and get them to repay all of our costs; because the NRA just couldn't be relied on to do this for us in the past.

Thankfully the polluting company no longer emits their oxygen depleted and detergent rich waste water into the lake inlet stream and the lake and its fish has never been better, but the club still maintains a fairly good reporte with them.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I assume you mean your rod or environment agency liscense?

I answered never but it was a slight lie. I have been fishing for 40 years last July and have fished free (council) waters and club waters and have actually been asked once. However, on the one occasion asked i wasn't fishing and didn't have any tackle with me. I was walking my dogs by the river in the local park.

• 5 months later...

I'm thinking that those who've been asked to produce their licence on a good few occasions, hails from the days when regional licences were in force??

I'm a Leeds based Angler, so when we had a match on the Trent - the Trent bailiffs knew which club had booked the length on a given day, so we were potentially soft targets.

Not so much now then that the National Licence is in force.

So Yes - I was asked to produce my Trent licence a few times, me being a Leeds club angler at that time. (70's - 80's)

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

In the days Licences were issued via tackle shops - Certain Anglers caught fishing without a licence could get a backdated one - IF they were "Well In"

Apparently you had a number of days to produce one if you didn't have it at the time of asking - Naughty, but it was done!!.

Tackle shops were in a bit of a cleft stick if that Angler spent a few quid with them.

Edited by Martin56

The problem with the old system where you could buy licences from tackle shops was that the owner of the shop had to buy the book(s) of licences up front, and they were not reimbursed at the end of the season for any unsold. Nice for the EA, not nice for the shop owner.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

The problem with the old system where you could buy licences from tackle shops was that the owner of the shop had to buy the book(s) of licences up front, and they were not reimbursed at the end of the season for any unsold. Nice for the EA, not nice for the shop owner.

My recollection is the opposite; the EA/NRA issued blank books to the tackle shops and trusted the tackle shops to settle up quarterly except that more than a few tackle shops went bust and failed to pass on any money hence the EA transferring the job to the Post Office who they could trust to hand over the money.

My recollection is the opposite; the EA/NRA issued blank books to the tackle shops and trusted the tackle shops to settle up quarterly except that more than a few tackle shops went bust and failed to pass on any money hence the EA transferring the job to the Post Office who they could trust to hand over the money.

That's how I remember it as well Mark, (sorry John). I also vaguely remember that the tackle shop got a pittance for each licence, and had to rely on the customer buying something extra.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I got my info from someone who runs a tackle shop, just after the change to selling licences in post offices.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Surely, unsold licenses ended up as worthless bits of paper & no loss to either side?? A bit like unsold Raffle tickets!!

The tackle shops should only have had to have paid according to the ticket stubs??

I'm not at all saying I'm right - but makes sense to me anyway!!

Edited by Martin56