First 1-2 night session any tips welcome

cupra

Planning my first ever overnight carp session for next week (cold i know)

However ive been going to a local pond to me latley and ive been doing pretty well (usualy 4-5 carp in a 6-7 hour session) and thats pretty much on par with what i was catching last summer so thought I may aswell give this a bash

Im looking for as many tips as possible if im honest

Venue is

http://www.theoakslakes.co.uk/lakes/willows/

Now I have alot of camping stuff aswell as bed chair and a chair for durin the day

There will be 2 of us fishing and the car is pretty much tuching the bivvy and the pegs we will be fishing

What other assentials will i need for this trip?

Im looking for any tips i can get if im honest

What type of bait do people use for long sessions is it just the same as a singe day session?

I heard there is crayfish in this pond so whats the best way to make sure my bait isnt chommped by them?

tlc.png

Planning my first ever overnight carp session for next week (cold i know)

However ive been going to a local pond to me latley and ive been doing pretty well (usualy 4-5 carp in a 6-7 hour session) and thats pretty much on par with what i was catching last summer so thought I may aswell give this a bash

Im looking for as many tips as possible if im honest

Venue is

http://www.theoakslakes.co.uk/lakes/willows/

Now I have alot of camping stuff aswell as bed chair and a chair for durin the day

There will be 2 of us fishing and the car is pretty much tuching the bivvy and the pegs we will be fishing

What other assentials will i need for this trip?

Im looking for any tips i can get if im honest

What type of bait do people use for long sessions is it just the same as a singe day session?

I heard there is crayfish in this pond so whats the best way to make sure my bait isnt chommped by them?

use arma mesh to deter the crayfish

take plenty of water for a brew

snore very loudly this keeps the rats out of the bivvy at night

store all your food and bait either in plastic containers or in your car this also deters any rats

take a bottle of antiseptic hand gel

change you socks for a clean dry pair just before you turn in for the night

that way your feet are warm so you will have a decent night kip unless you get a run

ware a woolly/fleece hat when your sleeping helps retain you body temp

keep your head torch camera etc near you in the bivvy

make sure that you unhooking mat /landing net scales weigh sling are kept near your rods

in-case you get a fish

make sure to kick your mate into life if one of you has a run .

hope this lot helps I'm sure others on the forum will add more . ;)

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Thanks very much so far looking good

Ordered some 14mm fine arma mesh as im now going to try a few different bates over the night or on each rod (we do have 4 rods between us so should be fine for an experement) not sure if i should have gone for the larger size or not but i figured as its winter id stick with smaller baits.

Ive got 2x3l water bottles that i will be taking but there is a cafe on site too so if we run out it wont be the end of the world

Rats, seen a few of these whilst fishing so will make sure i have a massive clean up before its time to get in the bivvy, all food is going to be in a cool box in the car

Im a big fan of clean warm socks so I will be taking a few pairs as i wont be hunting around for shoes if i get a run on (or should i sleep in shoes)

i have 2 lanterns one that sits in the bivvy and 1 that sits outside both controled by a remote that sits in my shoe, my head torch will go on my baiting table thats inside the bivvy (well thats the plan now anyway)

Unhooking mat doesnt weigh alot so ill make sure to peg it down neer the sling and keep my landing net/scales close by too

Ill make sure to wake him up and ill ask him to do the same for me.

Its helped alot, some things i hadnt thought about, i did see your post earlier but hadnt replied as id been checking stuff.

Ive got 3 lanterns, 1 for in the bivvy, one for outside both ont he same remote and a spare (uses same remote but will be turned off) I also have 2 head torches but dont have a hand torch as of yet.

Ill make sure i clean up before it gets dark so i dont break anything in a frantic half asleep run to the rods (well hoping i get a bite like)

thanks very much for these massive help so far

Annything else anyone can think of?

Anyone use any different baits for night fishing?

I have 2x head torches and my mate has 1 plus I have 3 5 hour lanterns that can be charged in the car (1 will probably do but i do have 3)

tlc.png

A good washing line and your pegs are essential if the weather is good. Probably only worth it from May to September but your socks will dry instantly . Only i gues for a longer distance stay probably.

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

cupra,

Hope I didn't wait until the horse was out of the barn. ALWAYS be cautious of a lantern inside the bivvy. (I'm assuming you're using a gas lantern.) At BEST that is headache city.

Phone

cupra,

Hope I didn't wait until the horse was out of the barn. ALWAYS be cautious of a lantern inside the bivvy. (I'm assuming you're using a gas lantern.) At BEST that is headache city.

Phone

i do have a gas one but i wont be using it in the tent, ill be using electronic ones with a remote as i dont want to be in a pile of ashes cheers for the heads up tho phone

tlc.png

Ive got 3 lanterns, 1 for in the bivvy, one for outside both ont he same remote and a spare (uses same remote but will be turned off) I also have 2 head torches but dont have a hand torch as of yet.

I have 2x head torches and my mate has 1 plus I have 3 5 hour lanterns that can be charged in the car (1 will probably do but i do have 3)

Batteries, batteries, batteries !!!

I learnt the hard way and now take at least two sets of spares for each item that takes them, not forgetting your bite alarms and any remote receivers either.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Ok so im home from my first session

Not hugely successful for a number of reasons

1. crayfish OMG every single boiley that i used for bait including boileys that crayfish are not suppose to like came back in bits. Pellets on the other hand came back untouched so after trying about 15 different baits i ended up with only 3 that could be left on for anything over half an hour. I even caught a crayfish on a floating hemp and tigernut boiley using an 10" braid (gives 8 inches of lift) it did fall off as i lifted it out of the water but it was on there the whole time i was reeling it in.

2. Hearing the bite alarms, i couldnt get very close to the peg that i wanted to fish which meant the bite alarms were not loud enough to be heard from the tent when i was having a nap. Also didnt help here as it was making so much noise and shaking the tent.

3. Getting to the rods when I had a run, I can not sleep when I have shoes on so getting my shoes on quick enough plus unzipping often meant the bait was dropped before i could hit the bite meat i lost atleast 8 fish this way over the night.

Ways around these problems

1. Arma mesh, I had ordered this as no local tackle shops had any but it didnt arrive untill today when i got back, also in summer apparently if i feed more than i would normally feed once the carp are in the swim i shouldnt get bothered by them as much so thats a fix for the summer

2. I need to get some wireless/wired bite alarms so that I know when I have a bite and its loud enough for me to be sure its not somebody elses rod going off.

3. Obviously when dry running out in socks isnt a problem but as i was limited to how many pairs i had this time i could only run out in socks twice both times i got to the rod soon enough but the rest of the night i just wasnt fast enough so I either need to be alot closer to the rods (should be easy enough) or fish in the dry only.

Anyone else got any tips to add to help me here?

Edited by cupra
tlc.png