Normark rod help

lutra

Money refunded and not asked for rod back as yet. Have pieced back together as best as I can just to get a feel for it. This would be a lovely rod, not really sure why it not talked about more. Handle length is nice and short for trotting just 20.5", just enough in front of the reel for the way I hold the rod, well balanced with my Avon Perfection applied, good quality guides etc. Shame it would fold up if attempted to cast let alone catch a fish.

Does anyone know the line ratings for the Normark Avenger 1000 14ft. I have managed to obtain one. Had a quick cast but it will now have to wait till June - very frustrating.

The avengers where rated up to 8lb lines but as Mark says you can go lower if you like. I usually use 4 or 6lb sensor with mine and i've hit and held barbel to just over 10lb using that set up (with the 6lb). The normarks are seriously good rods and for me the avenger is the most versatile of the three of the match rods covering pretty much everything from minnows to hard fighting tench and barbel. Incidentally my favorite version is the MKII 13ft avenger (not the very last version which was 13 to 14ft and not to my liking), slightly slimmer than the 2000 series and having more stand off guides.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Avenger 1000 are rated 2-4lb max, ditto the 2000 and original; the Avenger II is rated to 8lbs. The heaviest I've used on the 2000 is 4lb Sensor (actually 6lb bs) and that was pulling barbel out of snags.

The Avenger 1000 are rated 2-4lb max, ditto the 2000 and original; the Avenger II is rated to 8lbs. The heaviest I've used on the 2000 is 4lb Sensor (actually 6lb bs) and that was pulling barbel out of snags.

The blurb I read about the 2000's when they where in the shops said the avengers where rated to 8lb mainline (that was why I got one), the titans to 6lb and the microlites to 4lb, same ratings on the next generation...the MKII's. I had all the 2000 range and they where very similar to my MKII's but a bit thicker in the blanks. The guides weren't as stand off on the 2000's and they where titanium.

Think they must have found a new man to do the testing for the Mk11. Although the power to weight is truly amazing with the Mk11, I wouldn't fancy using 8lb with it as it doesn't feel any more powerful than the others.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

This one seems different to any others I have seen on the internet. All of the Normark rods I have seen have a part cork part duplon handle with a rubber stop end. This is full cork down to the end with a rubber button.

Was this usual or is it a cheaper later version. Blank is green with green whipings with a light green band. Bag is a shocking light green.

Think they must have found a new man to do the testing for the Mk11. Although the power to weight is truly amazing with the Mk11, I wouldn't fancy using 8lb with it as it doesn't feel any more powerful than the others.

I know what you mean Brian but if you think about it the 6lb sensor I usually use is pretty much 8lb anyhow.

This one seems different to any others I have seen on the internet. All of the Normark rods I have seen have a part cork part duplon handle with a rubber stop end. This is full cork down to the end with a rubber button.

Was this usual or is it a cheaper later version. Blank is green with green whipings with a light green band. Bag is a shocking light green.

The 1000, 2000, 3000 and MKII's all have abbreviated cork/duplon handles BB, it sounds as though yours may be the model preceding them as they had full cork handles.

Then again i'm pretty sure the older rods had brown blanks, it was the 1000 team range that had green blanks but they still had the same handle as the 2000's appart from the color of the reel seats...the 2000 rods had gold reel seats and the 1000's had silver.

I forget the color of the whippings on the 1000's but Brian will know.

The 1000, 2000, 3000 and MKII's all have abbreviated cork/duplon handles BB, it sounds as though yours may be the model preceding them as they had full cork handles.

Then again i'm pretty sure the older rods had brown blanks, it was the 1000 team range that had green blanks but they still had the same handle as the 2000's appart from the color of the reel seats...the 2000 rods had gold reel seats and the 1000's had silver.

I forget the color of the whippings on the 1000's but Brian will know.

On the 1000's I have the whippings are the same colour as the blanks and tipped off with a few turns of a lighter shade of the same colour. Green for the Avenger and brown for the Titan.

The 14 foots are great river rods, I use mine a lot and rare it very highly.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep