A new direction?

Renrag39

I want to try my hand at fly fishing for coarse species. Roach/Rudd etc.

Preferably rod/reel/fly-line for under £100.

From my brief research I feel a 4-5wt rod, medium action, 8-9', suitable reel and WF taper fly-line. Will mainly be fishing from a boat, standing up(less crap to catch bankside :lol:)

Is this achievable within budget?

If so, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance :D;)

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I want to try my hand at fly fishing for coarse species. Roach/Rudd etc.

Preferably rod/reel/fly-line for under £100.

From my brief research I feel a 4-5wt rod, medium action, 8-9', suitable reel and WF taper fly-line. Will mainly be fishing from a boat, standing up(less crap to catch bankside :lol:)

Is this achievable within budget?

If so, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance :D;)

4-5 wt might be overgunning it a bit. A 3wt rod should suit for roach and rudd. Spend all of your money on a decent rod, then line, then reel. No need to bother with expensive drag encrusted reels, you,ve got the palm of your hand for that. Can't suggest names and numbers I'm afraid, I don't buy much modern gear. :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I fish for Rudd and Roach (and carp) on the fly a lot and they are not easy. Much harder to catch and easier to spook than trout but great fun when you get it right. I fish from a float tube which is much quieter than a boat so it allows a closer approach. Standing up in a small boat and waving you arms about as in flycasting is likely to see the fish out of casting range (why do you want to stand up?) I also agree with Phone 100% about the life jacket.

Regarding tackle a 3/4wt is light enough for enjoyment but heavy enough to handle a bit of wind. I use a 2wt but I am lucky enough to be able to choose when I go fishing (it's in my garden)

I would look at Shakespear tackle as offering everything you need. Have fun

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

For less than £100, how about this:

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_728-fi...ns108-3462.html

or even, if you want to go a bit lighter, this:

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_728-fi...ns106-6916.html

I think the first one would probably be a bit more versatile, but it depends on where and how you are going to use it.

Ren,

Standing up? Don't forget a new hightech life jacket (one of the thin ones).

Phone

Rest assured, I wear a 50N impact vest on the boat.

Thinking seriously about the 8' Odyssey 4wt for starters. Going a bit heavier as I can't find an 8' 3wt and I'll be fishing quite large stillwaters plus the extra reach will help if I want to try it on the kayak :D

Not sure what reel yet, but as Worms says, I think I just need a glorified cotton reel for starters :lol:

Thanks guys, now to research lines... tippets... and flies... :blink:

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Renrag,

Google "fly fishing John Montana". He's the best I know. If you email him and say, "Phone said---" he'll set you on the right path. Mind you, he's bagging 30's in a completely different environment but he can do it all when it comes to carp and flyrods.

Phone

Do take to heart the bit about spending as little as possible on the reel. For this type of fly fishing, your reel is basically used for holding the line when you aren't fishing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 2 weeks later...

I would try to pick up a second hand rod you will get more for your money, Loop do a relitivley cheap cartridge type reel

that are good I would go for a double taper line just to aid presentation, most of the course fish I catch are by accident but nealy always on a double taper and a dry fly Chub mainly, I dont know how expearianced you are a double taper isnt as easy as a wieght forward to get a decent line out but wont hit the wateras hard if you get things a bit wrong.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!