Reel advice

Norm B

:D Sorting through some old suitcases in my loft and I came across these reels from my coarse fishing days, any idea of their value, if anything? 1 x ABU Cardinal 55, mint with spare spool. 1 x Shimano Aero Baitrunner GT 4500 unused in box with spare spool.

1 x Shimano Aero GT 4000 Baitrunner unused in box with spare spool. 1 x Shimano Aero 3000X, unused in box with spare spool.

1 x Shimano Aero Match, unused in box with spare spool. Now I'm retired I'm looking at getting back into puddle dipping, are these reels worth keeping to use or should I get the latest technology in reels. I also have 30 year old rods, Daiwa, Drennan etc, would these still be OK for pleasure fishing as they were top of the range in their day? :lol:

Edited by Norm B

:D Sorting through some old suitcases in my loft and I came across these reels from my coarse fishing days, any idea of their value, if anything? 1 x ABU Cardinal 55, mint with spare spool. 1 x Shimano Aero Baitrunner 4500 unused in box with spare spool.

1 x Shimano Aero 4000 Baitrunner unused in box with spare spool. 1 x Shimano Aero 3000X, unused in box with spare spool.

1 x Shimano Aero Match, unused in box with spare spool. Now I'm retired I'm looking at getting back into puddle dipping, are these reels worth keeping to use or should I get the latest technology in reels. I also have 30 year old rods, Daiwa, Drennan etc, would these still be OK for pleasure fishing as they were top of the range in their day? :lol:

Sorry Norm. None of your stuff is worth anything. If I send you the postage I will help you out and take it off your hands to dispose of it appropriately ;)

OK, for anyone who hadn't realised I was joking :D

Some of your reels are classics and very sought after. I couldn't give you an idea of value but you might be surprised at what they fetched.

They would be lovely reels to use but their mint / unused condition with boxes and spare spools would add a lot to their value.

I would be tempted to sell them and use part of the proceeds to buy new but if you enjoy using them then do what makes you happy.

Lucky man :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Sorry Norm. None of your stuff is worth anything. If I send you the postage I will help you out and take it off your hands to dispose of it appropriately ;)

OK, for anyone who hadn't realised I was joking :D

Some of your reels are classics and very sought after. I couldn't give you an idea of value but you might be surprised at what they fetched.

They would be lovely reels to use but their mint / unused condition with boxes and spare spools would add a lot to their value.

I would be tempted to sell them and use part of the proceeds to buy new but if you enjoy using them then do what makes you happy.

Lucky man :)

:lol: Thanks for your kind offer, I haven't enjoyed using them as they're unused. I do have another ABU 55 & a 54 which I use for bass and mullet fishing so I will probably continue to use them and sell on the others, should I try Ebay as you don't know what they're worth? PS. The Shimano's have Japan on the reel foot and the ABU has Sweden on the reel foot, I think I've had them about 30 years if that helps. :lol:

Edited by Norm B

:lol: Thanks for your kind offer, I haven't enjoyed using them as they're unused. I do have another ABU 55 & a 54 which I use for bass and mullet fishing so I will probably continue to use them and sell on the others, should I try Ebay as you don't know what they're worth? PS. The Shimano's have Japan on the reel foot and the ABU has Sweden on the reel foot, I think I've had them about 30 years if that helps. :lol:

I'd get the holiday brochures out. Cruises are nice at this time of year :thumbs:

Your just teasing really--aren't you??

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Norm,

The only one I am familiar with would be the ABU Cardinal 55 from 198? - 1990. Foot marked with Built by Abu Sweden and Numbered - XXXXXXX. Of course, if the XXXXXXX is very low it would be worth A LOT!! Otherwise, about $100.00 (USD) but buyers are hard to come by over here in the US. Ultimately it's worth what someone is willing to pay.

My personal experience is that I've been dissapointed in the past. What I was hoping to get and what I got were light years apart considering the effort required.

You've made 3,900 posts. Remember Budgie (now Dick Dastardly)? Maybe he is or knows an "agent" who would treat you fairly on a commission basis. Could be anyone you trust I guess? It's just that I wouldn't mess with it at my age unless that's what I wanted to do instead of "going fishing".

Phone

Norm,

The only one I am familiar with would be the ABU Cardinal 55 from 198? - 1990. Foot marked with Built by Abu Sweden and Numbered - XXXXXXX. Of course, if the XXXXXXX is very low it would be worth A LOT!! Otherwise, about $100.00 (USD) but buyers are hard to come by over here in the US. Ultimately it's worth what someone is willing to pay.

My personal experience is that I've been dissapointed in the past. What I was hoping to get and what I got were light years apart considering the effort required.

You've made 3,900 posts. Remember Budgie (now Dick Dastardly)? Maybe he is or knows an "agent" who would treat you fairly on a commission basis. Could be anyone you trust I guess? It's just that I wouldn't mess with it at my age unless that's what I wanted to do instead of "going fishing".

Phone

:lol: I'll have a look at the numbers on the feet of them, I know one is older than the other. :lol:

I'd get the holiday brochures out. Cruises are nice at this time of year :thumbs:

Your just teasing really--aren't you??

:lol: Had my cruise for this year, taking grand daughter to Disney Florida next year so no cruise then, but 2014 looking good. :lol:

Norm,

Phone

:clap2: Went to have a look in my garage to find some rods to pair with reels, and to have a look at the numbers on the ABU's and found another new GT4500, just need to get rid of a load of furniture so as I can move around and find the ABU's. :lol:

Norm,

Phone

:rolleyes: Those are the ones, I had a complete set, a, 52, 54, 55, 57 but I sold the 52 & 57 and bought another 55 because that was the size I used most. One of the 55's got lost in a house move 20 years ago, and has just been found with some others hence it's almost new, the other 55 & 54 I've used regularly for 30 years and apart from a new set of drag washers for them they've been great. I'm looking at selling a lot of stuff on as I won't last for ever and my wife wouldn't know what my stuff's worth or how to sell it, so I'm running it down and just keeping what I use most. I got some good stuff so someone will dip in. A tackle shop has offered to sell it on commission but I'll try selling it here or on the WSF site first, then ebay, then probably a garage or car boot sale. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Norm,

Phone

:lol: Managed to sort the garage at last the 2 x 55's have the numbers 801004 & 811005, the 54 has the number 790602, any help? :lol: