First Bass

glennk

I've never been served a legal size bass in a restaurant

:secret::g:

farmed fish i expect,imported from the mediteranean, where different size limits apply.

Edited by captain cojones

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no going back now Glenn ~ does this make you a bass angler now? :D

Well done on a very nice first fish (and several others too).

It's interesting that you've pretty quickly come to the same conclusion as many of us i.e. bass don't taste anything special, but they do fight like stink on plugging and fly gear.

I hope that your bass fishing gets better and better

When you catch a 6 pounder, you'll really be hooked on bass

Cheers

Steve

Edited by steve pitts

Hi Steve,

Yes they are a great fish and I have become rather too preoccupied with them at the moment. I cant wait for the water to clear so I can have another go at them. My biggest to date is around the 3 pound mark and it was an amazing catch. I know there are bigger ones as the lads on our forum had them to almost 9 last summer/autumn. What was very nice was finding some bass on one of our local marks at Whitby and getting the feeling that we had just made a discovery as I dont think anyone had caught them at that mark before us (at least not when they were purposefully trying to catch them anyways). Ive been reading a book by some bloke called Mike Ladle and they reckon he knows his onions and it sounds like the marks we fish could be bass heaven.

Ive been reading a book by some bloke called Mike Ladle and they reckon he knows his onions and it sounds like the marks we fish could be bass heaven.

Hi Glenn

Mike Ladle is a friend, and fishing partner, of Steve P. :D:D

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

:D

I was just pulling Steves Leg

:lol: :lol:

Mike Ladle is a really helpfull guy, he seems to ansewer any email questions you send him and he even took the time to do a question and answer session for some of us lads up here on the north east coast.

Edited by glennk

Mike Ladle is a really helpfull guy, he seems to ansewer any email questions you send him and he even took the time to do a question and answer session for some of us lads up here on the north east coast.

Mike often does a talk and slide show at the BASS AGM, which always goes down well.

I'm not taking the pee Glenn and I know that you have had some reservations about BASS, but I really would recommend that you check it out.

We've just had a lad from Redcar join, so that dispells the myth that we're all a bunch of bass-hugging Southern softies too :D

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

I fish for bass but have never been a member of BASS. Do they help to better an angler's bass-catching skills, or is it all about conservation this and conservation that? That's not a loaded question - I've received numerous press releases from them over the years, but can't recall one that mentioned tackle and techniques. Most of the coarse fishing single-species groups I've come across are into conservation, but it isn't the be all and end all of their existence.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

that you check it out.

We've just had a lad from Redcar join,

Cheers

Steve

Well I know its not me, would it be out of order to ask who he is, I suspect I might already know who it is but theres a lot of bass anglers in Redcar so I might be wrong

Hi Elton

I don't want to turn Glenns' post into a recruitment advert for BASS, but in answer to your question ~ no, it isn't all about conservation, conservation and more conservation.

Perhaps the 'moto' of the society ' Dedicated to the Conservation of our Premier Game Fish', is a bit grand, but that is only ONE of the aims of BASS.

We are very much into helping each other catch more fish and sharing the wealth of knowledge that exists within the group, which is freely and widely shared on the members' forum and in the quarterly magazine.

I can honestly say that BASS has members from all around the UK and from all walks of life and as in most forms of angling the sport is a great leveller. I have never met a prima donna or someone who felt that they were better than any other member in the 20-odd years that I've been a member, yet some of the finest bass anglers in the country are members. That's not to say that it's an 'experts only' club either .... far from it.

I know from some of the names or handles who post on anglers' net that bass-related questions get answered by some forum members who are also BASS members, so it isn't all press releases and bad news. For an example of some info that is available from BASS have a look at the fishing bits (righthand side) on this page from the BASS website -.

http://ukbass.com/fishingbits/index.html

There's articles on all sorts of bass fishing styles and techniques and the magazine is packed with such articles, catch reports and stories each quarter.

Cheers

Steve

PS The lad from Redcar is called Andy (say hello if you're out there Andy)

Edited by steve pitts

Wonder if its Andy P who is on my site, he fishes bass around the redcar area, infact those boys up there stole a bit of a head start on the rest of us on the coast in regards to the bass fishing. Some of the posts they made along with those of some anglers from the Scarborough area awakened the rest of us to the presence of bass in considerable numbers right through our area.