Trout fishing without a fly

itsmrb

Hi all

Apologies this is in the fly forum but I thought it was the best place as it is probably frequented with the trout experts! A friend of mine is heading to a trout pond in the new year where they will allow bait fishing as well. As I don't have any fly gear yet, and don't have much experience trout fishing (mostly coarse to date), I thought it might be fun just to take my trusty float rod along to check it out. I am therefore looking for some advice on how to set up for this type of bait fishing including float type, line strengh, hook size and trout friendly baits.

Many thanks

3lb line, waggler float, size 16 and maggots........ shot it for a slow drop to depth.

Thats lighter than I thought so probably good idea I posted. I was thinking about 5lb line, 3AA float and a size 12 hook with a juicy worm!

Do trout love maggots? What else will they take?

Cheers

Bait fishing for stockies? They will take pretty much anything, fished pretty much any way you choose, but maggots or corn fished three feet deep will do the trick. You will probably end up wishing they would put some in a barrel and give you a gun, just for a more sporting option!

Bait fishing for stockies? They will take pretty much anything, fished pretty much any way you choose, but maggots or corn fished three feet deep will do the trick. You will probably end up wishing they would put some in a barrel and give you a gun, just for a more sporting option!

Will it be that easy then? Not really ideal but fine for a one off I suppose before I get the fly gear I need. I think its a 3 acre water and we're only going to 4 hours so perhaps use it as a chance to check out the venue more than anything.

Will it be that easy then?

Very likely, yes. Depends how heavily stocked it is and how recently the trout were scooped out of the fish farm, but basically stocked rainbows are greedy, thick and think man is the friendly thing that delivers their pellets twice a day! Back before the closed season was abolished on enclosed waters, it was a common ruse for clubs to stick a few hundred trout in on March 15th and allow fishing all year round on the pretext that people were trout fishing. The reality in the club I was in was that a few hundred fish lasted a couple of suicidal weekends and that was that!