Another Newby

Trotters

Hi

New member signing in. Names Phil 61 years gone by 56 of them fishing.

Have fished for most things in this country at some time or another.

Have published articles and chaired a local radio angling show.

Now keeping the enthusiasm going, small boat fishing, still getting on the beach to sling leads at the ocean.

Bit disallusioned with all the lure fishing articles around at present.

Was interested to see the topic following the old Angling magazine which really had a voice in fishing matters.

Well thats me..........for now.......

Hi Phil and welcome to Anglers' Net.

Not a fan of lure fishing then?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi

Nah! Something I have done a great deal of for very little reward compared to other methods.

I could well be wrong but its hard enough to find fish that might be in the mood to feed without complicating it by trying to get them to chomp on something inedible. When was the last time you saw someone take a bite out of one of those large tomatoe shaped sauce dispensers in your favourite cafe, never I hope, well, fish have been around a long time making a living out of feeding on things nature tells them is good to eat.

Now, I'm not saying fish are not caught on lures, I'm saying in the same situation a properly presented bait would do it better.

There's a lot of Bass being caught on livebaits at present isnt there.

If you do not want to get smelly hands tie on a plastic fish prosthetic and do your oown thing.

I still tie on a string of mackerell feathers now and then though.

regs Trots

LOL - I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. :victory:

I have lots of fun trying to convince a pred that what I'm fishing with would make a good meal and I much prefer fishing for preds rather than fish that mostly forage.

I find it sorta like shooting. I'd much rather shoot over dogs after we've all worked to get the birds up than to wait by a feeding area I've baited and shoot them as they walk in for a meal. :bleh:

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi

I'd like to hear more about your shooting over dogs sound a bit different from our way. We beat a wood to raise the birds for the guns who are out in front. They shoot them in flight. Pheasants mainly especially from the woods. Partridge are driven in from more open fields. The birds which are shot are then gathered in with the use of dogs. Spaniels are the jack of all trades good in the beating line and if trained well passable retrievers, Labradors and retrievers mainly for picking up but can make passable hunting dogs. Always fancied I would like a Blue tick hound???? Have I got that righth. But I am probabley to long in the tooth myself now to take one on.

Just realised where you are based. My comments re lure fishing is based on British sea fishing. I have caught plenty of Pike Perch and Chub from rivers on both fly and spinner crank bait and spoon. A syndicate I am in have just bought our own stretch of river which supports its own possible sub strain of Brown trout . The dry fly and nymph fishing there can be outstanding. So yes I understand the thrills of artificials in frest water, I find it not so good in the see.

Regs

Trots

I wonder about lures for non-pred coarse fish in the UK. No good on small waters since you'd disturb anyone else fishing there which would be rude. Large waters or rivers though - I really wonder if quite a few species could be taken on the right lures. That said, it is fun to feed effectively and draw fish to you rather than going after them if you are good at feeding. I wouldn't even know where to start and would no doubt be horrible at it.

Blue tick hound - exactly. I think you posted that you are only 61 so plenty young to take on a new dog if you are reasonably healthy and hounds are great fun. A Catahoula Hound would give you something different and a great dog although the name is misleading since it is a cur rather than a hound. Their specialty is wild hogs & boar (thus their long name, "Louisiana leopard spotted hog dog") but they are easily trained to other game. Great temperment too.

I grew up where Bobwhite quail (Colinus virginianus) were fairly plentiful and we hunted them with pointers or setters since the birds will hold and the dogs are trained to approach then go on point & hold so the hunter(s) can kick them up and get some decent wing shooting. As many years as I hunted them, I never got over being startled when the covey took wing since it was sudden and noisy. I never lived far enough north for grouse or pheasants but from reading, US style hunting for them is more like we do for rabbits - walk through a likely area push them into making a run for it.

Labs make great retrievers - especially in the water - so were great to have along when hunting mallard ducks. They also do well with doves which most dogs won't retrieve due to an excess of feathers in the mouth. Labs don't seem to mind. :crazy:

Yo.

You know your stuff.

Catahoula hound. I'm thinking thats what we might call a Lurcher part Gaze hound ( Greyhound whippet) part shepparding dog?? we would generally think of them as a poaching dog. Bloody good fun to own!!!!! Hard to keep controlled.

Good luck.

Trots

From what I can find, the Catahoula was actually the first true American dog breed. This Wiki article gives a good history and overview.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catahoula_Cur

I find it not so good in the see.

Regs

Trots

hiyer, you havn't done much wrecking then in the summer, using artificials for the cod and pollak, with the odd bass and ling for good measures. Know what you mean about good live bait though, summer yet again using live sandeel and mackerel for the bass etc, supurb fun and sport. It was just last year i discovered live mackerel on the float while boat fishing, yet another fab method.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi There BL

Well yes I have done my time hauling Red Gills Pirks and infact did catch an 18lb Pollack from a Bristol Channel Wreck once on a Plug bought from Woolworths, now that will give you an idea how long I have been at the lure fishing lark Woolworths not only in business but selling fishing tackle, anyone want to go down that road, what I really mean about lure fishing in the salt is that, first to catch the fish you have to find the fish, ok so far. well then they have to be in a feeding mood, then you need to convince them that some pretty bit of oriental plastic is in fact good to eat. Chuck a soft crab or a mackerel head at them and they still might turn away but at least you know its something they might eat.

I watch young bloods, now hopping from rock to rock ,in their chesties hurling plugs and stuff a little way into the surf and I genuinely wish them well. With the wind in your face throwing 30grams of plastic into the Atlantic about 30 feet seems to make me wonder why I spent half a life time trying to learn the right way to propel 5oz of lead over the horizon. If there were that many fish under my feet not only would I have never bothered to try to learn to cast well but I would not have had time I would have been catching an awful lot of fish.

Go on tell me I'm wrong. I've got a broad back