Top 10 Most Endangered Fish Species

Elton

This is interesting to click through (you need to scroll using the link towards the top, right of the page):

http://animal.discovery.com/fish/fishing/top-10-most-endangered-fish.htm

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Or click on 'View as one page' at the bottom right of the text/pic.

I'd never heard of the Orange Roughy, what a life it must lead!

• Like 1

Started coarse fishing February last year, species so far:

Roach, Rudd, Bream, Tench, Perch, Carp, Gudgeon, Eel, Crucian and a Goldfish.

4: European Eel

Found primarily in the North Atlantic and the Baltic and Mediterranean Seas, European eel face a unique set of survival challenges. They have a fascinating development cycle, which begins with their birth out at sea and continues in freshwater streams thousands of miles inland, where they can grow to a length of 4.5. When they reach sexual maturity, at anywhere from 6 to 30 years of age, they return to the sea to spawn. If their route to the sea is blocked, they return to freshwater and can live for 50 years. But if they make it back to salt water and reproduce, they die. Because of this unusual life cycle, any eel that is caught at sea is a juvenile that has not yet had a chance to spawn. This has resulted in catastrophic overfishing of the European eel, and a critically endangered rating from IUCN.

Elton,

Are these your eel? (Icopied the whole thing on eel.) Do any of the others directly affect UK anglers?

Phone

Poleaxe,

They are a "favored" supermarket fish in the United States.

Phone

'Trawling

Trawling is a fishing technique where a large, deep net is pulled behind a boat. Often this net drags on the ocean floor, stirring up sediment and altering seafloor habitat. The effects of trawling can actually be seen on satellite images taken from space'

Aye right!

Yes, phone, that'll be the same eel we get over here.

I don't know much about halibut, so can't comment on that specific entry, but a few halibut do get caught over here. Seafoods may be able to advise which specific species that would be.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Forgive my ignorance, but did i not read that the mackeral is endangered too?

Not endangered, but on the 'eat occasionally' list now, I believe.