Kayak repair (holes)

kjh

Hi all,

If you ever think it could only happen to you then think again. Right here goes......

I bought two Ram 119sw rod holders for my Ocean Scrambler kayak and since it didn't have a hatch for internal access I couldn't fit them with stainless steel nuts and bolts so I opted for:

M5 Neoprene Well Nut With 20mm Stainless Steel Pozi Screw from (H2o kayaks)

Well I drilled the 10mm holes like it said in the instructions and they've not been what I thought they'd be or as strong, they leaked badly and never got a good enough grip.The well nuts weren't up to it and I'm left with 6 X 10mm holes in my kayak when I removed them due to safety fears. I've made a temporary repair with tape I saw on one of the kayaking sites which has held well but I'd like to know of a better repair method of sorting out my little home made disaster. I've given up on the rod holders and I'm aware of plastic welding the kayak but I've waited for months for replies from the uk supplier with regards to the welding rods and to be honest I'd probably rather use some sort of rubber bung with a non return ridge because the holes are a perfect 10mm and any plastic welding if done incorrectly will make an irregular hole and will be harder to seal. I'm thinking somewhere along the line of the press in snap fasteners you get holding your car door plastics in place but in rubber and seaworthy surely there must be something out there that could do the job. Also while we're at it would there be any need for sealant or would the rubber bung be adequate?

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

:bye2:

What's the kayak made of? Can you not repair it with a simple fibreglass repair kit?

Did you tighten the Well Nuts all the way?

They are something I've used on a couple of occasions (professionally) and I can remember that they took a lot of tightening before they really gripped.

Hi,

Thanks for the speedy posts.

Steve your solid grommets sound great and I'm currently looking for the correct type to get to ensure a solid waterproof seal, the holes are 10 mm so I'd have thought around 12 mm should provide a nice tight grip without too much distortion but I'm open to further suggestions, possibly 11 mm? The repair would look nice and clean because of the symmetry of the holes and the neatness of the grommets.

Ayjay the material is a high density polyethylene (HDPE) I believe so I'm not sure that fibre glass would work with it being a different material. I did tighten them up as much as I dared and you're right they did take a while but on this occasion they just weren't enough. As I mentioned in my original post I was considering plastic welding the holes but in all honesty I'm more likely to use the solid grommets due to their ease of use and price, this and the fact they'll be going into perfectly round holes so there should be no chance of any water seepage. (famous last words as I'm about to convert my kayak into a submarine)

I wouldn't have thought I'd need silicone for the seal due to the tight fit (12 mm into 10 mm hole) but I'm still open to suggestions.

Thanks again you've both been great help.

:D