How Long Should My Carp Rigs Be?

Anglers' Net

All,

If it is helpful, a carp hoovers with aproximately 6 lbs of force. Volume varys with fish size. I don't use a hook length but I do consider this force when poping a bait up.

I'd think it would be a factor considering various size and weight of bottom baits.

Phone

• Like 1

I favour longer rigs of about 18 inches but have noted that smaller carp of about up to 5lb ish respond better to short rigs.

I simply tie up a length of Gold Label Pro Clear in 12 or 16lb knotless knot , job done.

My reasoning for this is simply that most people use a coated hook link so I try to be a little different and its so much cheaper me being a tight wad an all that. I will use coated hook link where snags are present though as most of them are pretty abrasion resistant.

Click here to Visit St Ives Tackle 

apple-touch-icon.webp

• 6 months later...

Carp91,

Certainly not!

Julian doesn't mention it in the article but I'm reasonably sure he is talking about "bolt rigs". Big fish vs small fish is more dependant of what's in front of you. Hooklength (hook link) is more an issue of how dedicated the fish are to feeding at the moment. Equally, there are any number of other factors added together are called "watercraft".

Phone

• 1 month later...

Carp91,

Certainly not!

Julian doesn't mention it in the article but I'm reasonably sure he is talking about "bolt rigs". Big fish vs small fish is more dependant of what's in front of you. Hooklength (hook link) is more an issue of how dedicated the fish are to feeding at the moment. Equally, there are any number of other factors added together are called "watercraft".

Phone

Then add in the fact that different strains of carp feed at different angles!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• 2 weeks later...

Its more a case of carp get accustomed to seeing a certain rig. If you wind in everyones rig, I guarantee that most will be about 8 inches long because that looks best to the angler.

The carp may think otherwise and a longer rig will allow them to hang themselves. Bare in mind I am talking about pressured carp here that are regularly fished for.

Click here to Visit St Ives Tackle 

apple-touch-icon.webp