Wild trout thin this year?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 kenj

kenj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:All aspects of angling, shooting, classic motor bikes and motor racing.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

My southern syndicate water has been in constant flood since December, resulting in some very thin fish. This is the first trout I netted from the river on Friday, which gave a good account of it'self, despite it's lack of weight.

0z9pgqc.jpg

These are indigenous wild browns and we operate a strict, barbless hook, catch and release policy. Hopefully they will put on a bit more weight, when the river warms up.

Interestingly, I was fishing a free urban river nearby earlier in the week, where it runs through a recreation ground and the trout were very plump, no doubt due to the ready supply of bread fed to the local ducks.

http://www.urbanfiel...n-ground-trout/

#2 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,154 posts
  • Interests:Coarse, game and sea angling. Cars, gardening, cooking, lousy guitar playing. Stuff.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

I haven't been out for trout on the fly yet this season, but I caught more than usual from the Thames this winter, so I think the floods have moved fish about.

#3 kenj

kenj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:All aspects of angling, shooting, classic motor bikes and motor racing.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

Following up about wild trout on our river being thin this year, I landed this beautiful stockie yesterday. We have stocked waters above ours. Maybe this is why the wild fish are so thin?

j16DHD3.jpg

Edited by kenj, 12 April 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#4 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,116 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

kenj,

How can you distinguish between stockies and wild trout.

Phone

#5 kenj

kenj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

The wild trout have red spots below the lateral line. We also get a few rainbows come down river. If you check out my small river reflections thread you'll see some nice wild browns along with a few intruders. http://www.urbanfiel...er-reflections/ They are good sport on a seven foot 4 weight rod.

#6 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,154 posts
  • Interests:Coarse, game and sea angling. Cars, gardening, cooking, lousy guitar playing. Stuff.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

Other giveaways, besides them often having different colouration to the native fish - stockies take a while to grow back the crisp edges to their fins, especially the tail fin and they're often a lot bigger than wild trout.

#7 Guest_bluedun_*

Guest_bluedun_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

Colouration is not always a good guide as wild fish can vary quite a bit. Fin condition is generally a better guide, though it's not infallible. Stockies are often peas in a pod though - all one size. So if you know what size they were stocked at, that's useful in identifying them.

#8 kenj

kenj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

Since I posted this thread I've netted a couple more "stockies", one had plenty of red spots, the other was an over wintered fish. I am now confused as to stockie, or not stockie.

vkRw93W.jpg

http://www.urbanfiel...-pays-its-dues/

#9 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,116 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

kenj,

That's a problem we have over here - wild vs stocked.

Phone

(very nice fish!)

#10 kenj

kenj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

Hi Phone,

I've just returned from a short visit to my syndicate water, it's only ten miles away. This was the best of eight taken in two hours.

DmwscgV.jpg

The camera did not do justice to the colours of this wild brown. It looked better through poloroids. We return all our fish. Ken