Wild trout thin this year?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 kenj

kenj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:All aspects of angling, shooting, classic motor bikes and motor racing.

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:34 AM

Beautiful wild fish, a bit on the thin side, but taken on the top I see. With the warmer weather this week, I'd hoped for a few rises yesterday afternoon, but apart from a couple of dace on an emerger, didn't see a trout. 

#32 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,127 posts
  • Interests:Coarse, game and sea angling. Cars, gardening, cooking, lousy guitar playing. Stuff.

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:55 PM

Thanks! I didn't take many dries, I wasn't expecting them to be up top, but they were rising regularly. I did have another, and lost one, on a peeping caddis.

#33 kenj

kenj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:All aspects of angling, shooting, classic motor bikes and motor racing.

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:46 PM

The trout seem a bit slow to get going on my little river, the few that have been out, have blanked, or caught dace so far. Beginner's luck for me last week I think. More warm weather this week should improve things. I might give my urban river a try this week, running through a town the water is warmer.

#34 kenj

kenj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:25 PM

I took my first wild trout on the surface this week, having concentrated on the nymph, but a few rising fish made me swap to an emerger, as there were no apparent flies going airborne.

dBBgFIk.jpg?1

Many of the wild browns in the river have this blue/silver sheen to them.

The following day I had a larger, 13 inch trout also taken on an elk hair emerger.

8fDOU3a.jpg?1

This was a more traditional coloured brownie and was quite lean, but was just as energetic.

This was my latest blog. http://www.urbanfiel...o-take-the-fly/

#35 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,127 posts
  • Interests:Coarse, game and sea angling. Cars, gardening, cooking, lousy guitar playing. Stuff.

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:19 PM

Got one! Thames trout, on the dry fly!

C1A02589-46CE-4AC5-BC51-6B4C241AD979_zps

AC9B5CE7-E6F5-47FC-B48A-7692FD6661B5_zps

1FED57A5-26AF-455E-AE48-5CFC291848FB_zps

858C126A-AFE6-4841-9CFA-67986B6528DB_zps

ACF59AB7-80D6-4495-8E8E-5ECFDC6477BD_zps

#36 JV44

JV44

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Interests:Fishing ,boating and drinking

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:51 PM

Well done mate

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh:  :icecream:

#37 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,127 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

Look at all that clean gravel mate! I am getting quite excited about trying for a Thames barbel after the season opens. Haven't spotted any, only chub, but then I haven't spotted any trout yet either but I've caught one.

#38 kenj

kenj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:01 AM

Well done Steve! A fat healthy brown from a clean river. My little river rises from chalk, but runs through nitrate rich farmland, the gravel being coated with brown gunge by the time it reaches us ten miles downstream. Great pics.

#39 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,127 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:09 AM

Thanks, it was a nicely conditioned little fish, and well patterned. The Thames is quite clean here, the big problem is low summer flows.

#40 kenj

kenj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:45 AM

Hi Steve,

I fished an urban tributary of the Thames yesterday evening, less than a mile up from the main river near Maidenhead and had this fin perfect wild brown among the factories. It took an unweighted gold ribbed hares ear fished just below the surface.

GtWEtqC.jpg?1

Difficult fishing, but worth the effort, when you get one like this. 

This was my blog. http://www.urbanfiel...on-urban-river/

Edited by kenj, 05 May 2015 - 02:31 PM.