more fiddling g!ts

Na you carry on Steve more the merrier. 15 miles of netting. Don't suppose anyone has thought of towing a dingy, you could load the stuff on that, reach the mark and throw it off the back. :lol::lol: Much like a car trailer. The difficulty would be if you have to go in reverse, much like a car trailer. :D:D

As things are shore anglers and anglers from un-powered vessels can sell up to 35k of fish per days, I believe.

I was told last night that once the marine bill is bought in shore anglers would not be able to sell their catch. However fish caught from an un-powered vessel that is under 10m could still be sold.

I read the link Leon put up about the Gemini sail commercial vessels, interesting stuff I must say.

Also no where near 15 miles of bass nets are used by any under 10m commercial boat!

Please Please check this out!

http://www.justgiving.com/tacyedewick?ref=

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also no where near 15 miles of bass nets are used by any under 10m commercial boat!

I could fish as much gill net as I could fit onto my 17ft Dory, (which, if you believe everything you read, could be as much as 15 miles of the stuff, :rolleyes: , lol :D ), and as long as the fish I caught was for personal consumption, I wouldn't be doing anything illegal.
Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hello Steve,

I don’t know what you said before editing, but I hope my post wasn’t taken as a dig.

I do t feel however its worth pointing out that its imposable to work endless miles of bass nets from a under 10m vessel.

Unlike some reports of commercial vessels using 35k of nets. If this amount of net is being used I would they would have to be the very large meshed tangle or ray nets.

These are fixed nets targeting, rays, monk, and other large flat fish. Due to the large meshes these nets can be left for several tides and will not collect weed, jellyfish and other rubbish.

The gear could be loaded on to the fishing boat in fleets over several days. That way many miles could be fished, with the fisherman alternating the areas fished and the fleets hauled each tide.

Please Please check this out!

http://www.justgiving.com/tacyedewick?ref=

looks like the original comment was removed but I see a quote which seems to take a few shots at anglers. However your firing in the wrong direction. All the quota for the small under 10's has been redistributed to the big boys at your expense. If all the quota lies with a few then its easier to "manage B) ". Its them you should have a gripe with. Also remember that if the charter anglers end up in your quota pool that again will mean less for you as they will be taking from the same pot. There does seem to be an injustice but shooting at those who cannot help you will by no means pull you out of the myre. The charter skippers I know have a great deal of sympathy for people in your situation and if they could would do anything to help you out of it.

Hello Glenn

It was not a shot at anglers, it was inresponce to Ha's claim of his unequal rights to a common resource,

( Bring it on )

I'm more concerned about you Wurzels of the world recognising my rights before I concede ANYTHING to them.

I was wondering how many more rights I will have to concede before he has every right and I have none?

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Steve,

I don’t know what you said before editing, but I hope my post wasn’t taken as a dig.

I do t feel however its worth pointing out that its imposable to work endless miles of bass nets from a under 10m vessel.

Unlike some reports of commercial vessels using 35k of nets. If this amount of net is being used I would they would have to be the very large meshed tangle or ray nets.

These are fixed nets targeting, rays, monk, and other large flat fish. Due to the large meshes these nets can be left for several tides and will not collect weed, jellyfish and other rubbish.

The gear could be loaded on to the fishing boat in fleets over several days. That way many miles could be fished, with the fisherman alternating the areas fished and the fleets hauled each tide.

Hi Sam

I editted the post because I hadn't managed to put two previous quotes into the one reply on my first attempt. As you can see, I got there in the end.

I posted the two quotes because I didn't think you'd read the original one properly. That's why I posted it again with the relevant words in bold. Just in case it's still confusing you, my first post said that if you believe everything you read, I could manage to fish 15 miles of gill nets from my 17ft Dory. As you know, that would be impossible. It was in reference to the part in the latest BASS press release which said that some small, inshore, fishing boats were using ridiculous km of gill nets to target bass.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

Don't drink and drive.

Some interesting info here arising from the Association of Sea Fisheries Committees in London ...

I'm just a messenger ....

Bass was on the menu when Mike Pawson (CEFAS) addressed a meeting of the Association of Sea Fisheries Committees in London.

Some of the main interesting points on larger bass were as follows:

Adult bass are known through tagging programmes to frequent the same inshore feeding areas during the summer months, year after year, where they may be more vulnerable to capture than bass found elsewhere.

Closing coastal areas to extractive fishing would enhance survival and enable more sea bass within local populations to grow bigger.

Stakeholders in the RSA sector believe that this might be a viable option to achieve a better use of the UK bass resource and one that would fit within Defra's RSA strategy.

Consequently Defra is funding a study into whether such areas could be managed for the RSA's benefit.

For this purpose it would be necessary to reduce extractive fishing in those areas that have historically produced bigger bass by restricting the take of bass by both commercial and recreational fisheries using, for example, a combination of gear restrictions, bag limits, slot size limits and catch and release.

The effect of these controls will be monitored through tagging bass caught and released in the restricted catch areas and collecting information on catch and fishing activity over a period of two or three years to evaluate the benefits to local bass stocks and the effects on recreational and commercial fisheries.

The study will be in two phases.

The first will involve an assessment of whether this type of management measure is possible, from social, political and legal perspectives .

The second involves fishing for bass. Four inshore areas - two restricted catch text areas and two similar nearby control areas - will be monitored and an intensive tagging exercise carried out to evaluate the fate of bass caught and released.

Tagging studies around England and Wales had shown that a significant number of bass were recaptured near to their respective summer feeding areas in successive years.

For example, 14 of 29 adult bass reported within 33km of the release area in Anglesey's Cefni Estuary between 1971-1984 were recaptured by tagging teams at the original tagging site.

Seventeen fish tagged in 2000 and 2001 were recaptured at the original tagging locations in Devon, Cornwall, Dorset, Isle of Wight, Channel Island and South Wales -11 years subsequent to tagging and within two calendar months of the anniversary of the release date.

One fish in particular, tagged and released from a mark in South Wales on May 24, 2001, weighing 2.84kg was subsequently recaptured from the same location on August 21 weighing 3.18kg and again less than 40metres away on September 17 2003 when it weighed 4.2kg.

Clearly, repeated recapture had not inhibited the growth of this fish nor its propensity to feed or be caught in that particular locality.

This phenomenon of adult bass which may share the same spawning grounds segregating to specific summer feeding areas to which they show a strong propensity to return again and again offers an opportunity for spatial management of bass fisheries that might benefit RSA.

Because adult bass appear to be less susceptible to capture when they move outside their 'home' summer feeding areas, protection of the populations in such areas should enhance survivorship and lead to more and bigger bass being available to be caught there.

- LYNDON LAMMAS ANGLING CORRESPONDENT, Swansea Evening Post 30/7/08

<_<

Some interesting info here arising from the Association of Sea Fisheries Committees in London ...

I'm just a messenger ....

<_<

Reference to the fisheries challenge fund.

How old is that article? And how long ago did this meeting between Mike Pawson and the ASFC take place?

Don't drink and drive.

Not a BASS press release this time Steve :D

No, it appeared in some local newspaper, or other, didn't it?

It looked like old news when I read it, with no mention of latest developments, but the date on the newspaper is todays. I just wondered whether they'd dug the report up from somewhere, or whether there has been another meeting.

Don't drink and drive.