Costa Rica Fishing Trip

Dales

Just returned from a holiday in Costa Rica, once we decided we where going there was only one fish I was interested in catching a Rooster. It’s been on my wish list since I was a kid, so I booked an inshore charter before in advance and let them know it was Roosters I wished to fish for.

Rather nicely they agreed to pick me up from the beach in front of the hotel, no doubt to save on dock fees but it suited me down to the ground and when I wondered down to the beach after breakfast the Sea Snake was anchored in the bay and the mate came and collected my partner and I in a small rowing boat, after confirming it was a Rooster or bust we headed out to a local mark Monkey Island to catch some lives, we had a few in the bait well but the crew wanted bigger and stronger baits. A few trawls around the small island produced some Jacks heading towards 2 lbs. They looked a little big to me for Rooster, but hey ho the guys should know what they where doing.

http://s803.photobucket.com/user/DALEY666/media/CostaRicaJune2013070.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

post-6235-0-45938400-1371836672_thumb.jpg

So with a refreshed bait tank we headed out to a trawl slowly along a spectacular cliff line. We had already decided that the first bite would be mine. My partner and I always share rods on such trips rather then fish our own rods. The first bite came on a rod baited with a big Jack and the rod bent right over and line poured from the reel, I was convinced it must have been a large Grouper or maybe a Cubera as I had my suspicions that the big Jack baits where to ensure we got some bites on the trip rather then purely to target the Roosters.

The fight was odd with the fish kiting all over the place and then all of a sudden it would head down deep, great fun but not at all like a Grouper fight. Once I had bought it close to the boat I could see some blue/silver colour and guessed at a Jack of some description but before I could make my mind up, it was off again in to the depths. The mate Carlos had a huge grin on his face and said just one word ROOSTER, this made my knees turn to jelly and my stomach turn right over and all I could think of was “please don’t come off, please don’t come off” The performance of me bringing it to the boat and it deciding to change direction and head off again went on for about 10 minutes before Carlos grabbed the leader and again in my mind the “please don’t come off” chant started again accompanied now by the thought “even if it does come off it still counts, he touched the leader so it counts” Who was I kidding, there is a world of difference from it dropping off and deliberately releasing it with out bringing it on board.

There was no need to worry about Carlos messing up, in no time at all he had bought the fish to the boat and gloved it, unhooked it in the water and swung it up for the grip and grin in what seemed like seconds. A well drilled manoeuvre, no doubt done thousands of times before for clients, in no time at all the fish was back in the water and I retired to the front of the boat to allow Paula access to the rods and so I could tackle the stash of Imperial beer in the cooler box that was screaming out to be drunk. Well it was almost nine in the morning and I was on vacation, I have a rule that no beer is drunk until I have had my first fish, well now it was open season on the Igloo Ice Box.

http://s803.photobucket.com/user/DALEY666/media/CostaRicaJune2013003.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

post-6235-0-69496900-1371836367_thumb.jpg post-6235-0-31739700-1371837874_thumb.jpg post-6235-0-43220900-1371837887_thumb.jpg

The next bite came around an hour later and Paula was up, no faffing about with fish going on runs and overly playing them as tends to happen with me. I have lost count of the amount of fish I have lost to Sharks/Cuda from over playing them .When Sea fishing they get hauled to the boat in double quick time by Paula. It was another Rooster but obviously not best pleased at being unceremoniously dragged to the boat decided to spit the bait and hook out. I rather helpfully enquired had anyone touched the leader and they had not, it did not seem to phase Paula and she declared that was fun. I would have been crying if it was me.

We had one more bite from a Rooster (My turn again) and now being a self-proclaimed expert in all things Rooster I guided it to the boat for Carlos to deal with. After that things went fairly quiet but Paula had a big Jack and with 2 Roosters boated and as it had reached that mid day slump we called time on the inshore fishing and went off shore to target the plentiful Dorado moving through the area. The Dorado fishing was explosive and they fell to a whole host of methods, lures, jigs, trolled deadbaits, lives, feathers. They would take anything and it was great fun with multiple fish on at the same time, ducking and diving under rods as Mahi Mahi flew through the air. The key was finding anything floating in the water that would attract them, old logs, weed and the most productive of all fish holding features dead turtles. It was rather refreshing that the crew only took a few fish and we released most of our catch and I became an expert at releasing jumping Mahi at around 20 yards from the boat in order to let my lure out again for another quick hook up.

post-6235-0-81162800-1371836894_thumb.jpg

The whole thing was so much fun, I booked another charter following the same plan of targeting Rooster in the morning and then moving on to the Dorado sport in the afternoon. We went back to the area that had produced on the first trip but this time we drew a blank but the Captain had another spot in mind but it would be a bit of a steam and so suggested we trawl Ballyhoo behind the boat on the way to see if we could pick up a few bonus fish. We caught a few Dorado on the way but even if we where not to catch at this new spot it was worth the journey, we where at a spectacular rocky headland with waves crashing all around and quiet a swell going and from time to time when the water receded we could make out the tip of a mount in the sea. We where going to fish around this mount. We only had the one bite from a Rooster (to me) but it run me ragged trying to get around the back of the mount to cut me off on the rocks and I am sure it would have if not for the skill of the Captain backing the boat up when necessary. That was the last Rooster of my Costa Rica trip but it put up the best fight making full use of the very deep water around the mount and making numerous runs. Come afternoon we moved offshore again for some hectic Dorado action.

http://s803.photobucket.com/user/DALEY666/media/CostaRicaJune2013075.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

post-6235-0-39046500-1371837113_thumb.jpg

From talking to lots of other anglers while over there, I did not come across anyone who had Rooster despite lots targeting them, most just catching Dorado and Bonito in the afternoons that are plentiful at the moment and the inshore fishing just producing Pargo. So a big thank you to the crew for putting us on the Rooster. We get the glory part of playing the fish but they do the real hard work of finding the fish.

Below is a typical fish holding feature with resident birds

post-6235-0-53850300-1371836683_thumb.jpg

http://s803.photobucket.com/user/DALEY666/media/CostaRicaJune2013088.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

So a few days of great sport memorable for the fish we caught including a massive Needle Fish for Paula but also for the amazing back drop of cliffs and Volcanoes. It does not take much of an imagination when you see a line of Pelicans flying across the cliffs to picture them as being pterosaurs from the age of the dinosaurs. The amount of other wildlife we encountered on our fishing trips was staggering 3 types of Dolphins, Bonito blitzes, jumping Mobula Rays, Turtles (live & dead) and a whole host of bird life that shamefully I can not name but Paula could real off.

post-6235-0-76189000-1371837722_thumb.jpg post-6235-0-75941000-1371838231_thumb.jpg post-6235-0-00410600-1371838244_thumb.jpg post-6235-0-86034000-1371838258_thumb.jpg

The whole thing was “Pura Vida”

Edited by Dales
  • Like 3

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Thanks Dales. Great write up. Very envious, given my precarious physical condition if I tried that they would be taking me home in a bucket. Well done.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

“even if it does come off it still counts, he touched the leader so it counts” Who was I kidding, there is a world of difference from it dropping off and deliberately releasing it with out bringing it on board.

Nice one Dales. I think it was John Geirach who coined the phrase "Long distance involuntary release" :)

We had a fantastic time in Costa Rica, in addition to Roosters we had sailfish, Pacific blue marlin, and many more. Definitely a place I would recommend. We fished out of Golfito - where did you go ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

We had a fantastic time in Costa Rica, in addition to Roosters we had sailfish, Pacific blue marlin, and many more. Definitely a place I would recommend. We fished out of Golfito - where did you go ?

We where in Papagayo in Guanacaste, as yours and Norm B's catches show its a great fishing destination and am sure I will return again some day for a crack at the Sails.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Just returned from a holiday in Costa Rica, once we decided we where going there was only one fish I was interested in catching a Rooster. It’s been on my wish list since I was a kid, so I booked an inshore charter before in advance and let them know it was Roosters I wished to fish for.

Rather nicely they agreed to pick me up from the beach in front of the hotel, no doubt to save on dock fees but it suited me down to the ground and when I wondered down to the beach after breakfast the Sea Snake was anchored in the bay and the mate came and collected my partner and I in a small rowing boat, after confirming it was a Rooster or bust we headed out to a local mark Monkey Island to catch some lives, we had a few in the bait well but the crew wanted bigger and stronger baits. A few trawls around the small island produced some Jacks heading towards 2 lbs. They looked a little big to me for Rooster, but hey ho the guys should know what they where doing.

http://s803.photobucket.com/user/DALEY666/media/CostaRicaJune2013070.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

attachicon.gifMonkey Island.JPG

So with a refreshed bait tank we headed out to a trawl slowly along a spectacular cliff line. We had already decided that the first bite would be mine. My partner and I always share rods on such trips rather then fish our own rods. The first bite came on a rod baited with a big Jack and the rod bent right over and line poured from the reel, I was convinced it must have been a large Grouper or maybe a Cubera as I had my suspicions that the big Jack baits where to ensure we got some bites on the trip rather then purely to target the Roosters.

The fight was odd with the fish kiting all over the place and then all of a sudden it would head down deep, great fun but not at all like a Grouper fight. Once I had bought it close to the boat I could see some blue/silver colour and guessed at a Jack of some description but before I could make my mind up, it was off again in to the depths. The mate Carlos had a huge grin on his face and said just one word ROOSTER, this made my knees turn to jelly and my stomach turn right over and all I could think of was “please don’t come off, please don’t come off” The performance of me bringing it to the boat and it deciding to change direction and head off again went on for about 10 minutes before Carlos grabbed the leader and again in my mind the “please don’t come off” chant started again accompanied now by the thought “even if it does come off it still counts, he touched the leader so it counts” Who was I kidding, there is a world of difference from it dropping off and deliberately releasing it with out bringing it on board.

There was no need to worry about Carlos messing up, in no time at all he had bought the fish to the boat and gloved it, unhooked it in the water and swung it up for the grip and grin in what seemed like seconds. A well drilled manoeuvre, no doubt done thousands of times before for clients, in no time at all the fish was back in the water and I retired to the front of the boat to allow Paula access to the rods and so I could tackle the stash of Imperial beer in the cooler box that was screaming out to be drunk. Well it was almost nine in the morning and I was on vacation, I have a rule that no beer is drunk until I have had my first fish, well now it was open season on the Igloo Ice Box.

http://s803.photobucket.com/user/DALEY666/media/CostaRicaJune2013003.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

attachicon.gifRooster 1 Copy (2).JPG attachicon.gifCoast 1.JPG attachicon.gifCoast 2.JPG

The next bite came around an hour later and Paula was up, no faffing about with fish going on runs and overly playing them as tends to happen with me. I have lost count of the amount of fish I have lost to Sharks/Cuda from over playing them .When Sea fishing they get hauled to the boat in double quick time by Paula. It was another Rooster but obviously not best pleased at being unceremoniously dragged to the boat decided to spit the bait and hook out. I rather helpfully enquired had anyone touched the leader and they had not, it did not seem to phase Paula and she declared that was fun. I would have been crying if it was me.

We had one more bite from a Rooster (My turn again) and now being a self-proclaimed expert in all things Rooster I guided it to the boat for Carlos to deal with. After that things went fairly quiet but Paula had a big Jack and with 2 Roosters boated and as it had reached that mid day slump we called time on the inshore fishing and went off shore to target the plentiful Dorado moving through the area. The Dorado fishing was explosive and they fell to a whole host of methods, lures, jigs, trolled deadbaits, lives, feathers. They would take anything and it was great fun with multiple fish on at the same time, ducking and diving under rods as Mahi Mahi flew through the air. The key was finding anything floating in the water that would attract them, old logs, weed and the most productive of all fish holding features dead turtles. It was rather refreshing that the crew only took a few fish and we released most of our catch and I became an expert at releasing jumping Mahi at around 20 yards from the boat in order to let my lure out again for another quick hook up.

attachicon.gifRooster 2 Copy (1).JPG

The whole thing was so much fun, I booked another charter following the same plan of targeting Rooster in the morning and then moving on to the Dorado sport in the afternoon. We went back to the area that had produced on the first trip but this time we drew a blank but the Captain had another spot in mind but it would be a bit of a steam and so suggested we trawl Ballyhoo behind the boat on the way to see if we could pick up a few bonus fish. We caught a few Dorado on the way but even if we where not to catch at this new spot it was worth the journey, we where at a spectacular rocky headland with waves crashing all around and quiet a swell going and from time to time when the water receded we could make out the tip of a mount in the sea. We where going to fish around this mount. We only had the one bite from a Rooster (to me) but it run me ragged trying to get around the back of the mount to cut me off on the rocks and I am sure it would have if not for the skill of the Captain backing the boat up when necessary. That was the last Rooster of my Costa Rica trip but it put up the best fight making full use of the very deep water around the mount and making numerous runs. Come afternoon we moved offshore again for some hectic Dorado action.

http://s803.photobucket.com/user/DALEY666/media/CostaRicaJune2013075.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

attachicon.gifRooster 3 Copy.JPG

From talking to lots of other anglers while over there, I did not come across anyone who had Rooster despite lots targeting them, most just catching Dorado and Bonito in the afternoons that are plentiful at the moment and the inshore fishing just producing Pargo. So a big thank you to the crew for putting us on the Rooster. We get the glory part of playing the fish but they do the real hard work of finding the fish.

Below is a typical fish holding feature with resident birds

attachicon.gifFish Holding Feature.JPG

http://s803.photobucket.com/user/DALEY666/media/CostaRicaJune2013088.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

So a few days of great sport memorable for the fish we caught including a massive Needle Fish for Paula but also for the amazing back drop of cliffs and Volcanoes. It does not take much of an imagination when you see a line of Pelicans flying across the cliffs to picture them as being pterosaurs from the age of the dinosaurs. The amount of other wildlife we encountered on our fishing trips was staggering 3 types of Dolphins, Bonito blitzes, jumping Mobula Rays, Turtles (live & dead) and a whole host of bird life that shamefully I can not name but Paula could real off.

attachicon.gifCosta Rica June 2013 045.JPG attachicon.gifCosta Rica June 2013 034.JPG attachicon.gifCosta Rica June 2013 043.JPG attachicon.gifCosta Rica June 2013 047.JPG

The whole thing was “Pura Vida”

That's great mate. I am glad you had a good time. That's one thing i miss about the states and that's the fishing even though i was a brat back then. I remember fishing with an old school mate who emmigrated to New Zealand and started his own charter company . Ten years later he invited me out. Well it took 3 years to get the money but more the time to get over there. We went after the Marlin. To his annoyance he sailed into some hammerheads or they found him. I had a rod out and caught one and i was jumping up and down with joy but his mate seemed a bit irratated that this shark had interupted his coffee and got up and un hooked it shook my hand and went back to read the paper!!. Sadly i never got a marlin but i enjoyed the shark but they had an attitude of being really hacked off finding them...LOL

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

We where in Papagayo in Guanacaste, as yours and Norm B's catches show its a great fishing destination and am sure I will return again some day for a crack at the Sails.

:clap3: I was at Golfito. Went to review the fishing and some rods and reels. The skipper didn't want me to use my rods and reels and when he saw my braid it was a no, no but I told him the boss said I could. He didn't believe me so called him on the radio to confirm it. He wasn't happy and made life difficult but I didn't care as I had a great time catching sails around the 100lb mark. The boss came out next day and sorted him out. All the tackle was well tested on roosters, sails and tuna, one "big game reel" failed spectacularly and one rod needed the rings re spacing but the others were fine. :clap3: