Shakespeare Mach 3 XT Forward Drag 040 Fishing Reel

phil_calv

Hi, I have just bought a Shakespeare Mach 3 XT Forward Drag 040 Fishing Reel. My other reel is an old Mitchell Match reel....long serving and loved. The Mach 3 reel is another front drag reel. However, no amount of screwing the front "nut" puts any brake on the spool, it continues to rotate freely. My Mitchell has all the braking contined on the spool....I now see why I liked it in the first place!

So my question is. Does anyone have a Shakespeare Mach 3 XT Frowar Drag reel and can tell me if between the front "nut" and the spool should there be any washers which would clamp the spool to the central shaft i.e. apply the brake? Mine did not have any washers in it and the eploded diagram shows Nos 53, 54 and 55 as being spool and brake washers. I'm not sure if these are loose washers which you put on top of the spool each time you change it tath allow the "nut" to apply a variable brake to the spool.

Hope that explains the problem. Any info greatfully received.

Thanks for reading.

Hi and welcome to Anglers' Net. I have moved this topic to the coarse section where more people will see it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

With the front drag there is probably 3 washers with little thin bits of oiled felt between each on the top of the spool held in place by a sort of hexagonal shaped clip.

ive had a play with a mach 1 and a mach 3 with Andy Macfarlane having the mach 1 and neither have had this problem.

Sounds like a faulty product and should be taken back to the shop.

It's a reel I would very much like and still want so don't be put off by it as they are fantastic reels, especially the mach 3 with its 3 different depths of spools and carry case.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Andy_1984

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have to agree with you that the reel did look and feel lovely and I have returned it tot the supplier asking for a replacement.

So to be sure I have got this correct are the 3 washers with little thin bits of oiled felt between each one loose and put on the top of the spool which is then held in place by the hexagonal shaped clip? So when I change spools I would remove the hexagonal shaped clip and the spool and then replace with a new spool and the transfer the 3 washers over before replacing the hexagonal shaped clip?

It sounds to me like the spool hasn't settled properly and it's just rotating. Apply pressure on the spool turn gently and make sure it drops down onto the spindle with a satisfying clunk. When it does so, rotating the spool should also rotate the spindle at the same time. If the spool is freely turning but the spindle is motionless, it hasn't bedded in properly.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Andy_1984

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have to agree with you that the reel did look and feel lovely and I have returned it tot the supplier asking for a replacement.

So to be sure I have got this correct are the 3 washers with little thin bits of oiled felt between each one loose and put on the top of the spool which is then held in place by the hexagonal shaped clip? So when I change spools I would remove the hexagonal shaped clip and the spool and then replace with a new spool and the transfer the 3 washers over before replacing the hexagonal shaped clip?

That would be unusual, to say the least, Phil. On front drag reels the clip holds the drag washers in place and shouldn't be removed unless you need to change the washers themselves (a rare occurence). When changing spools, all you need to do is to unscrew the drag knob and remove the spool, pop on another one and refit the drag knob. Make sure you've reset the drag to your liking and that's it.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Andy Macfarlane

Andy, thanks for the reply.....I'm sure I pushed the spool on as far as it would go. The spindle poked out the top a fair way. Unfortunately as I have returned it and am waiting for a replacement I can't confirm if the spindle rotated when the spool did. The problem was when I screwed down the hexagonal clip it wouldn't clamp onto the top of the spool thus applying a drag it just got tighter and tighter......so if the spool went down any further I guess the hex clip would be even further away from the top of the spool.

robtherake

Rob, I also thought that having loose washers would be a bit odd....not to say a recipe for loosing them.

It sounds like I did the right things when I looked at the reel and also in returning the item....I guess time will tell when the replacement arrives!!!

Thanks for the input

No Phil you don't remove the clip and washers they are a permanent part of the spool and each spool will have its own clip and washers these are the parts which apply drag when you tighten the screw on top.

im not sure how many washers it has it could be 2 but no less than that im sure.

A missing washer I assume would cause the drag to be too loose no matter how much you screw the top on ?

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just to close this string out.....

I received my replacement reel last week (£33 from SportsDirect.com...best price I found). I applied the drag and the spool braked as expected, changed the spools and did it again...it worked as expected.

So the initial one was faulty and I feel a little less idiotic as to working a reel!!!

I'm looking forward to putting through it's paces next weekend.

Thanks to all who contibuted to this.

• Like 1