right of access

looks like the canoe guys are at the bottom of the pile, public right of access appears to be very low.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20182198

In England and Wales less than 4% of the 41,000 miles (68,000km) of rivers have public access. That figure drops to 2% if smaller watercourses less than 3m (10ft) wide are taken into account.

Edited by barry luxton
  • Like 1

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• 3 weeks later...

Good post Barry. Thanks for doing that.

Particularly chuffed that David Bailey at the BBC credited my 'no canoeing' photo at Costessey Point to me. The BBC's just gone up in my estimation.

For the record, the pic was taken in Nov 2012 on land owned by the Ketteringham family in Costessey, Norfolk. It's posted on their side of the river, but they don't own both banks. They're just trying to impose their intolerant agenda irrespective of the views of adjacent landowners or other taxpaying members of the public.

I raised this very matter with Richard Benyon (Minister at DEFRA) a while back but it seems he doesn't want to get involved. I can't say I blame him. The reason, I imagine, is that he's a big landowner on the Kennet, and sections of his estate are apparently off limits to canoeists.

Of course what this is really all about is keeping the great unwashed out of his private domain so he can fish his exclusive trout and barbel beats without being offended by the presence of passing canoeists.

And the Angling Trust are lobbying him to do it.

Hold my subscription for the time being ... I'm not quite ready to sign up to that organisation just yet.

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Guest bluedun

Canoeists have wanted carte blanche access to all rivers for a long time. But they would do a great deal of damage to shallow rivers (which they particularly like), not to say make fishing impossible on them. Benyon may be a land-owning Tory, but it's in our interests to restrict canoes. The right to roam argument is a nonsense: that right does not confer right to access of all land anytime.

Can I suggest we agree to disagree bluedun. I don't mind Benyon being a land-owning Tory. But as a Minister of the Crown I think he should at least administer his massive estate in a fair and impartial manner.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Guest bluedun

From the point of view of anglers, canoes are bad news on rivers like the Kennet - damage to weed and spawning beds, etc. That a wealthy MP owns a big slice of land is another issue altogether. There's a major political debate there.

From the point of view of anglers, canoes are bad news on rivers like the Kennet - damage to weed and spawning beds, etc.

yup, got some links of the said damage we can have a look at, don't forget the etc bit as well. would like to have a look at the evidence.

Are you an angling trust member, they use anecdotal evidence and consider it good enough to support any of their wild claims?

Do you not consider that far more weed damage regarding access is done in the name of angling?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Guest bluedun

yup, got some links of the said damage we can have a look at, don't forget the etc bit as well. would like to have a look at the evidence.

Are you an angling trust member, they use anecdotal evidence and consider it good enough to support any of their wild claims?

Do you not consider that far more weed damage regarding access is done in the name of angling?

Since when were you interested in (scientific) evidence barry? Are you offering links or asking for them? Are you an angler or a canoeist?

I think it's safe to presume you do not fish shallow rivers. The impact of canoes would be quite clear to you if you did. No anglers damage the waters I fish, although certain anglers probably don't care what damage they do, sea anglers especially in my experience.

Since when were you interested in (scientific) evidence barry? Are you offering links or asking for them? Are you an angler or a canoeist?

I think it's safe to presume you do not fish shallow rivers. The impact of canoes would be quite clear to you if you did. No anglers damage the waters I fish, although certain anglers probably don't care what damage they do, sea anglers especially in my experience.

as I said, it's ok putting up assumption and guestimates that canoeists are causing damage, it's not rocket science to work out that you need facts to back up your statements, have you any, just like the trust? anecdotal just won't do.