Navigation Rights continued

They can acknowledge it existence without wanting to encourage it.

I have no axe to grind in the UK anymore. I don't live there.

When I did live i Scotland all of my personal experience of canoeists on rivers were negative.

You seem to want to portray canoeists as these gentle people, slipping silently down the river, disturbing no-one and causing no upset.

The reality is a bunch of thugs screaming and shouting to each other, abusing other users, coming ashore on private property, lighting fires and leaving litter. Parking your cars and trailers on private property, blocking field gateways and generally showing no respect for anyone or anything.

Maybe you will be granted greater access when you demonstrate that you deserve it.

But Dave, Andy and his mates aren't like that. They have nothing but respect for the countryside (sssi sites) and the law. What possible harm could it do to just let unlimited numbers of them do as they please?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

andy_y,

I'm not being controntational, at least not trying. I have never received a "good or bad" answer to the word "raparian" as it applies in the UK. The EA and dictionalry says, """"Law. a person who owns land on the bank of a natural watercourse or body of water."""" The EA (in 2013) says the UK has "Raparian owners" aside from what the EA says (which is full and total responsibility execpt as noted). What does that mean (to you and canoests). I don't know how it could be more clear??

Also, you are as bad as your accusors. You respond to Sportsman with, "it's not true". You sure? 100%? Maybe you would change that statement to the "majority"? Should that be true - how many irresponsible canoes does it take to turn 150 shorebound anglers into anti-furnaces.

Phone

It's 'riparian', not raparian. It means the owner of a river bed. If a landowner owns both banks of the river then some people think he has complete ownership of the river course, including the naviagation rights. Similarly, if I own one bank of a river, and you own the other bank, then our respective ownerships extend to half way accross the river course. So if we band together, we can theoritically try to stop people navigating the river. Quite why anyone would want to behave in such an anti-social manner is beyond me ... I suggest you ask the Angling Trust.

And yes, I am 100% positive that Sportsman is wrong when he accuses all canoeists of environmental thuggery. There may be a small element of anti-social types within the canoeing community, just as there are in all sports, but to accuse 100% of them accross the board is just plain wrong.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Just like the commie ramblers. hemorrhoids, they come out in bunches and are a pain in the ar$e.

Edited by Jim Roper
  • Like 1

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

It's 'riparian', not raparian. It means the owner of a river bed.

er, not the bed, but the bank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riparian_zone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riparian_water_rights

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

But Dave, Andy and his mates aren't like that. They have nothing but respect for the countryside (sssi sites) and the law. What possible harm could it do to just let unlimited numbers of them do as they please?

It's true that we have respect for the countryside. The video you have linked to was of a paddle down the Wensum during the closed fishing season. We went at that time of year so as to avoid conflict with local anglers. I would encourage others to do the same. It's great fun, and not nearly as damaging as stocking an SAC / SSSI river with non-native fish and then saturating it with high protein pellets.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

brilliant video confirming there can't possibly be any problems with cormorants on that river can there. :thumbs: I could assume that no anglers would possibly break or cut down any of the tree growth to get access to the river, would they, i.e. exposing the river to the hungry predators? I did not see too much damage caused by the canoeists while passing through unless you count setting a fire during the evening, no anglers could possibly consider doing that would they?

you could argue that joe public knocking on my door is trespassing over my land to reach the same, hold on. no damage done, so what's the harm? And as phone mentions, who insures who for being on my property unannounced.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

It's true that we have respect for the countryside. The video you have linked to was of a paddle down the Wensum during the closed fishing season. We went at that time of year so as to avoid conflict with local anglers. I would encourage others to do the same.

The purpose of the Angling close season on rivers is to give spawning fish, nesting birds and other river-life the chance to raise their young with minimum disturbance.

Not to allow canoeists the opportunity to disturb the riverine environment without disturbing anglers.

I wonder how many young were abandoned as a result of your reckless jolly?

As far as encouraging others to do the same, there is a call from some anglers to abandon the close season using the argument that folk with boats and dogs do not share the same respect for wild-life, and increasing use by other river-users makes the close season pointless.

Do you really want to add weight to that argument and see anglers using the rivers all year round?

From the other side it is likely that there will be increasing calls for growing boating activity to be subject to closure during the breeding season to protect the wildlife of the river environment when it's particularly vulnerable to disturbance.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

All,

Once again I'll ask. Is this not "current law"? It was published in 2012 and ammended in 2013.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/31626.aspx

Phone

Unfortunately the comment regarding navigation on your link states "The Environment Agency has control over navigation for some waterways only, and will not become involved in disputes or give legal advice about navigating any other waterways."

Which doesn't really make it clear how the law stands (perhaps because as they have said in a previous email it is unclear and disputed).