Navigation Rights continued

What damage Leon ? as I said I have no evidence nor have seen any to show that canoeing causes the damage that you claim it does perhaps if your were to post some evidence to back you claims...

As to justifying anything it simply points out that he who lives in a glass house shouldn't really throw stones and if you want to use environmental damage / injury to wildlife as a reason to restrict access then your on a very slippery slope downhill.

So you are in the camp that denies that damage is caused by disturbance and that there is no purpose to a close season on rivers?

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Sorry Gozzer, The full conclusion can be found on page 19 of this report http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/media/pdf/Pages%20from%20w266%20small%20part%201.pdf if anyone wants to read it.

I read it the last time you posted it. Apart from the method used to gain the 'results', being open to debate, being based on opinion and supposition, if you look at page 19, second paragraph from the bottom.

"If canoeing does affect the the presence of fish in an area and anglers ability to catch them, then it seems fair to assume that the degree of impact will be a function of the river size, and the number of canoes on it at any one time. Therefore an increase in canoe activity may have a more profound effect on smaller rivers than on large."

That, more or less, is the same thing I (and others), have been saying all along.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I'm in no camp Leon I would like to see some body of proof or evidence before I make any decision. I can however provide you with images showing the damage angling does in both the breeding season and outside of it if you wish and perhaps we can then discuss what activites need restricting because of the damage they cause.

I read it the last time you posted it. Apart from the method used to gain the 'results', being open to debate, being based on opinion and supposition, if you look at page 19, second paragraph from the bottom.

That, more or less, is the same thing I (and others), have been saying all along.

John.

Hi Gozzer , I believe the paragraph your quoting refers to the section regarding canoeing disrupting angling and not the one concerning canoeing damaging fish stocks which is the point I have been making.

As for the methodology of how the results were obtained being based on opinion and supposition this may be somewhat true but they did take supposition and opinion from both angling representitive bodies as well as canoeing ones.

Hi Gozzer , I believe the paragraph your quoting refers to the section regarding canoeing disrupting angling and not the one concerning canoeing damaging fish stocks which is the point I have been making.

As for the methodology of how the results were obtained being based on opinion and supposition this may be somewhat true but they did take supposition and opinion from both angling representitive bodies as well as canoeing ones.

Isn't it reasonable/logical to assume that any damage to the flora and fauna is also likely to be greater on a small river, than a large, especially so if there are a number of craft going through it?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I'm in no camp Leon I would like to see some body of proof or evidence before I make any decision. I can however provide you with images showing the damage angling does in both the breeding season and outside of it if you wish and perhaps we can then discuss what activites need restricting because of the damage they cause.

Angling isn't just restricted, it is banned on rivers during the close season.

What shouldn't happen is that canoeists take advantage of the close season and purposefully use the river when the wildlife most needs peace and quiet.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Unfortunately angling causes damage outside of the closed season Leon, perhaps if your that concerned over the wildlife you may have to consider further restrictions on angling because that appears to be what your talking up. Personally I think angling is restricted enough as it is however I also think canoeing is unecessarily restricted due to some misinterpretations of the law.

I also think canoeing is unecessarily restricted due to some misinterpretations of the law.

If that's the case then a good barrister should be able to clarify such misinterpretation without problem.

• Like 1

RNLI Shoreline Member

Damage, to whatever, does not come into it. Any owner of anything has the right to unhindered use of it. If people want to play on a river, they should buy one. I have nearly half a mile of stream frontage. The last time it was cleaned up was by Italian PoWs in WW2. I was thinking of doing it again soon, but not if it is going to be invaded by a load of commies in canoes.

• Like 1

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net