• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#11 Benselley

Benselley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:38 AM

When you say small catfish are you talking 60lb or 6oz?

6oz around 6 inches

#12 lutra

lutra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • Interests:fishing

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:08 AM

6oz around 6 inches

Its hard for me to advise you as Ive only got minimal experience of small cats and none of the water you mention. But i don't think the paternoster rig would be a bad way to start.

Much as i like the paternoster rig it has got some bad points that i can think of.

1. Its a fixed rig and could tether a fish if your main line breaks.
2. The feeder hangs down when playing a fish not making it a good rig on snagy pegs.
3. Its not very good on flowing water.
A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

#13 Benselley

Benselley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:54 PM

i am talking about 6 inches long*

#14 Newt

Newt

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,148 posts
  • Interests:fishing, duplicate bridge, fishing, RV (caravan) travel to where there is fishing

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:29 PM

Just so you will know - those small catfish are actually bullheads and they never get very large. They are not even really closely related to Wels cats or the channel catfish (which I think are found in France).

Black bullhead (Ameiurus melas) and known as Poisson-chat by the French. They probably also have some brown bullhead (Ameiurus nebulosus) and just haven't noticed since they are very similar in appearance.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President