Cod Worms!

northsea

Yep, same for me Cory I have always preferred Haddock to Cod.

I always thought it was the inshore Red Cod that were more susceptable to Worms the ones I have taken recently have been worm free, but they have been from the boat.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Yep, same for me Cory I have always preferred Haddock to Cod.

I always thought it was the inshore Red Cod that were more susceptable to Worms the ones I have taken recently have been worm free, but they have been from the boat.

Tony

I have seen cod worm when fishing the dogger bank about 120 miles out of Whitby recently.

I also a long time ago caught a 2lb freshwater perch, when spinning in a saltwater estuary near Stavanger in Norway.

The Chinese cook steamed it with ginger, spring onions and soy sauce for me. It was not over cooked and some people may think it was undercooked. That was full of cod type worms but I picked them out and eat the fish because it tasted so good!!!!!!!! :P

So it seems even fresh water fish can be affected.

Very, very interesting this krysb. Thanks for you reply here.

It is true, I do recall finding worms in mackerel and pollack but this is the first time actually in the fillet.

I think you have a valid point about gutting them soon after the catch.

I'm very interested in the point you make about "bleeding them out".

How exactly to do do this and in what way does this keep the fillet clean?

Sorry about my ignorance here. :2:

hi northsea

i always bleed the fish out to keep the flesh clean ( and it sweetens it up a bit

to do this, first catch your fish, 2nd knock it on the head enough to stun it ( dont cave its head in or it will be dead anyway and wont work)

3rd when it is still alive but unconcious, open the gill cover up and nip thru one of the gills, you will see what happens,( open forum and the like ( best not to go into the details ) and when it comes to filleting, you wont get the little veins full of blood

and when cooked the meat is pure white, without any dark lines in it( ie veins)

some of the cod i had @ the weekend were riddled with worms mainly in the belly flap of the fillet, but there were quite a few in the top side of the fillet also

hope this helps

krysb

hi northsea

i always bleed the fish out to keep the flesh clean ( and it sweetens it up a bit

to do this, first catch your fish, 2nd knock it on the head enough to stun it ( dont cave its head in or it will be dead anyway and wont work)

3rd when it is still alive but unconcious, open the gill cover up and nip thru one of the gills, you will see what happens,( open forum and the like ( best not to go into the details ) and when it comes to filleting, you wont get the little veins full of blood

and when cooked the meat is pure white, without any dark lines in it( ie veins)

some of the cod i had @ the weekend were riddled with worms mainly in the belly flap of the fillet, but there were quite a few in the top side of the fillet also

hope this helps

krysb

That certainly is of great help! :thumbs:

Many thanks indeed for your advice there.