• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sheepy

Sheepy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:42 PM

Having never done much ledger work before can anyone give me some advice on what would be a good rig to use for a small still water fishery containg carp tench bream and barble. I would normaly fish using a float but there are areas where the depth varies a lot in short distances therefore i cant always guarentee my bait will be on the deck or too far over deapth. I had a bash last week using an Arsley bomb to a ledger stop and shot and an eight inch or so length to the hook. I had a nice tench but there was lots of nocks on the quiver tip that indcated fish were there but no rod bending bites. Cheers in advance.

#2 Chris the Fish

Chris the Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Fishing...

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:45 PM

yes, what you need is a helicopter hinged sliding ring popup zig rig.

:D
A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand

#3 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,060 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,Photography,Internet

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:49 PM

Take a look here-

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/rigs
And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

#4 WickerDave

WickerDave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 06:54 PM

I've never done that well at Peatling on the leger, just the odd modest carp or roach/bream hybrid. It's surprisingly weedy on the bottom, quite often when tightening up the bomb is snagged in weed. Plus you seem to get a lot of line bites from the cruising carp.

If you suss it out, let me know, if we are still on speaking terms!

#5 rodman

rodman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 08:39 PM

I used to have the same trouble at a local pond so I started to use a Lockslide float and have bagged up many a time since. There are now a wide variety of sizes to choose from, and are all readily available from your local tackle shop. Hope this helps. :)

[ 24. September 2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: rodman ]
If it was easy it would be called catching.

#6 Chris the Fish

Chris the Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Fishing...

Posted 24 September 2004 - 08:39 PM

have i missed something, why wouldnt you two be on speaking terms?

You can certainly speak to me as often as you like, your appearance the other day turned a slow day into a 7lb fish (honestly, it was more than 5lb sheepy!)

As for the bottom profile of malcolm, there does seem to be some quite weedy areas, however, if you find a clear patch you can bag up!

ps. there are mention of deep holes in the write up of peatling on the fisheries.co.uk site, any idea where these are?
A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand

#7 WickerDave

WickerDave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:25 PM

I guess I arrived at an inconvenient time last week, what with Sheepy on the mobile and you into the carp. So I left pretty quickly, I didn't want you to think I was stalking you both!

Since I prefer to fish on the surface or close in on the float, I've never really tried to find out where the deep holes are.

[ 24. September 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: WickerDave ]

#8 Sheepy

Sheepy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:45 PM

Appologies on being anti social and on the phone but the good lady does like to know where i am at all times
I wasnt thinking about ledgering very far out, i was going to fish a few feet out from the tree on the left of the three peg area where chris and i were. Just i spent an eternity trying to get the deapth correct and in the end decided it must be up and down like a tarts knickers :rolleyes: So next plan of campaign is to sort out how to fish the leger to make sure i hit the deck all the time. Probably a fish free area anyway knowing my luck
Had a couple of hours at Peatling a week last Sunday and fished Parva for the first time as the rest were heaving. 3 nice carp to 7 or so lb's and also came close to getting a lovely looking koi of about 7lb as well. Thats the problem with fishing on the top you get to see the nearly fish as well :)
Anyway having another go this Saturday if the weathers good. What did you get the chub on at New Mills out of interest?

#9 WickerDave

WickerDave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 06:12 PM

You're meant to go fishing to escape from the wife :) . Give it a few more years for the novelty to wear off!

I hope you do better than me at Peatling this weekend. I fished our favourite swim for the last three hours yesterday. Had a 5½lb carp from under the tree and a foulhooked 8¼lb carp from in front of the pipe in the first 30 minutes, one on each rod at the same time. Thought it was going to be a good evening, but it was hard work after that. All that followed were a few decent roach with a chunky one about a pound, and my first of the tiny barbel. Nobody else was catching much either.

By now I would not have thought you would need to ask what method tempted the chub at Mill Farm. A large lump of luncheonmeat on a size 6 hook floatfished on the bottom, about a rods length out just past the margin weeds.

[ 27. September 2004, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: WickerDave ]

#10 Sheepy

Sheepy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 06:31 PM

Therein lies my mistake, Chris and I spent a fruitles time trying to tempt the big buggers cruising the surface one afternoon. Think they were just enjoying the sun. :)