Simple ledger rigs

Sheepy

Having never done much ledger work before can anyone give me some advice on what would be a good rig to use for a small still water fishery containg carp tench bream and barble. I would normaly fish using a float but there are areas where the depth varies a lot in short distances therefore i cant always guarentee my bait will be on the deck or too far over deapth. I had a bash last week using an Arsley bomb to a ledger stop and shot and an eight inch or so length to the hook. I had a nice tench but there was lots of nocks on the quiver tip that indcated fish were there but no rod bending bites. Cheers in advance.

I've never done that well at Peatling on the leger, just the odd modest carp or roach/bream hybrid. It's surprisingly weedy on the bottom, quite often when tightening up the bomb is snagged in weed. Plus you seem to get a lot of line bites from the cruising carp.

If you suss it out, let me know, if we are still on speaking terms!

I used to have the same trouble at a local pond so I started to use a Lockslide float and have bagged up many a time since. There are now a wide variety of sizes to choose from, and are all readily available from your local tackle shop. Hope this helps. :)

[ 24. September 2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: rodman ]

If it was easy it would be called catching.

have i missed something, why wouldnt you two be on speaking terms?

You can certainly speak to me as often as you like, your appearance the other day turned a slow day into a 7lb fish (honestly, it was more than 5lb sheepy!)

As for the bottom profile of malcolm, there does seem to be some quite weedy areas, however, if you find a clear patch you can bag up!

ps. there are mention of deep holes in the write up of peatling on the fisheries.co.uk site, any idea where these are?

A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand

I guess I arrived at an inconvenient time last week, what with Sheepy on the mobile and you into the carp. So I left pretty quickly, I didn't want you to think I was stalking you both!

Since I prefer to fish on the surface or close in on the float, I've never really tried to find out where the deep holes are.

[ 24. September 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: WickerDave ]

Appologies on being anti social and on the phone but the good lady does like to know where i am at all times

I wasnt thinking about ledgering very far out, i was going to fish a few feet out from the tree on the left of the three peg area where chris and i were. Just i spent an eternity trying to get the deapth correct and in the end decided it must be up and down like a tarts knickers :rolleyes: So next plan of campaign is to sort out how to fish the leger to make sure i hit the deck all the time. Probably a fish free area anyway knowing my luck

Had a couple of hours at Peatling a week last Sunday and fished Parva for the first time as the rest were heaving. 3 nice carp to 7 or so lb's and also came close to getting a lovely looking koi of about 7lb as well. Thats the problem with fishing on the top you get to see the nearly fish as well :)

Anyway having another go this Saturday if the weathers good. What did you get the chub on at New Mills out of interest?

You're meant to go fishing to escape from the wife :) . Give it a few more years for the novelty to wear off!

I hope you do better than me at Peatling this weekend. I fished our favourite swim for the last three hours yesterday. Had a 5½lb carp from under the tree and a foulhooked 8¼lb carp from in front of the pipe in the first 30 minutes, one on each rod at the same time. Thought it was going to be a good evening, but it was hard work after that. All that followed were a few decent roach with a chunky one about a pound, and my first of the tiny barbel. Nobody else was catching much either.

By now I would not have thought you would need to ask what method tempted the chub at Mill Farm. A large lump of luncheonmeat on a size 6 hook floatfished on the bottom, about a rods length out just past the margin weeds.

[ 27. September 2004, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: WickerDave ]