Bass lures

Guest Steve Burke

Guest Steve Burke

I did a little lure fishing for bass last year but am not experienced with this species. I've got a huge collection of perch and pike lures and would appreciate some suggestions as to which of these to use for bass.

Bass addicts seem to mostly use plugs. I'm disabled and on some days I can't wind a plug in. Last year I caught on my favourite Abu Atom spoons. Has anyone else done well with bass on lures other than plugs and if so what patterns?

Guest Dave B

Hi Steve, You can't go wrong with a selection of the original Abu Toby lures. If you're intent of plugging, try the Rapala SL13B, SL13BMU, SL13BM, J13B or HJ14SGM. I caught bass on all of them.

Good luck!

Dave

Guest bobanderson

Yea I have to agree with plugs but I also like to use spoons. I have also had success with leaded shrimp/prawn lures that I have made myself. These are light and easy to punch into the wind and retrieve fast or slow.

However, my favourite bass lures are the soft plastic lures. Grubs, worms and the small shads have all given me quite good success.

I hope you find this of some help.

------------------

Bob

Guest Leon Roskilly

Originally posted by Steve Burke:

Has anyone else done well with bass on lures other than plugs and if so what patterns?

For bass, you can't beat a Rapala J13 :-)

Don't worry about getting distance, if the bass are feeding within casting distance, they'll be under the rod tip.

Especially if you are bassing from the apron at Folkestone Warren. Give me a call Steve, and we'll arrange a trip. I'm sure Nick Buss will be up for it too.

When the wind is blowing in my face, or there's a lot of wind about, then I change to a Dexter Wedge.

These heavy lures really punch out into an onshore breeze, and don't seem to collect weed. The bass love 'em too Posted Image

If your arms start to tire, with all that casting and retrieving, pop on a small old-fashioned pike bung and fish a bait about 3 ft deep, a couple of rod lengths out, where the waves swirl around the groynes.

Lug,live prawn and mackerel strips are good baits.

Tight Lines - leon

Guest Alan Taylor

I did a little lure fishing for bass last year but am not experienced with this species.  I've got a huge collection of perch and pike lures and would appreciate some suggestions as to which of these to use for bass.

Bass addicts seem to mostly use plugs.  I'm disabled and on some days I can't wind a plug in.  Last year I caught on my favourite Abu Atom spoons.  Has anyone else done well with bass on lures other than plugs and if so what patterns?

You didn't say if it was boat or beach'pier Steve, if it is boat, live sand eel is by far the best bait. Red gills work well but the colour of the gill should depend on the depth of water. Take a selection of colours with you and watch the other anglers to see the colour that is giving the best results. The Royal Navy has a table of how colour changes and is turned neutral at different depths. Bass are as skittish as carp so if there is a trawler in the area, move.

Not much help with the lures but if it is beach fishing, still try the sand eel.

Alan(nl)

Guest Dave. L

Hi Leon,

I've been using lures for freshwater fishing for years and fancy having a go in the sea.

I've read the Dexter's are particularly good.

Which size Dexter Wedges do you recommend and what colours.

Cheers

Dave.L

Thanks to you all for the replies.

Steve,

If Dave gives me a call this weekend, I may be able to offer some first hand advice - apparently, there are bass being caught on lures not too far from my house Posted Image

Tight lines,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest Leon Roskilly

Originally posted by Dave. L:

I've read the Dexter's are particularly good.

Which size Dexter Wedges do you recommend and what colours.

Hi Dave,

Dexters are basically a heavy lump of polished metal, shaped to plane up to near the surface.

I've only ever seen them (and the many copies) in silver.

As for size, the main difficulty with the larger ones is casting weight. You need a rod with plenty of backbone to punch them out from the shore.

I've found that it really doesn't matter to the bass, what size you use. But the heavier versions are useful for punching out into a really stiff wind.

They also make excellent trolling lures.

Tight Lines - leon