Sainsbury’s Challenged over Slippery Sustainable Eel Claims

Anglers' Net

• 1 month later...

Is the stance here taken by the Angling trust not somewhat farcical when we have a legal and regulated commercial eel fishery allowed in the UK. I think that they should be shouting at the Environment Agency not Sainsburys or Tescos if they have concerns about eel management. I was a part time commercial eel fisherrman over 20 years ago and at that time there was a lot of illegal fishing taking place. This is not the case now as the public is much more aware and soon reports any illegal activity to the authorities.

I would think that if a supermarket purchases eels from a licencesed source they have every reason to believe that the fishery is sustainable, and if it is not I would suggest that fishery managers are not doing their sums correctly!