Fish Driven from North Sea

Leon Roskilly

worzel old mate the longliners have hade a very good last couple of weeks 20-30stone a day of 6 lines,not bad in the present,climate but worzel i know you make your living from the the sea i repect that but what i have seen in the last 20years i know without doubht is due to over fishing,millions yes millions of under size codling shovelled dead back over the side this is not a mythe its fact but joe public doesnt know any wiser worzel am i right or am i wrong.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@SPRING@:

Whoose is this research?Is it Ices ?

No, It was done by Allison Perry of the University of East Anglia and published in the Journal 'Science'.

Maybe this one?

TL - leon

[ 14. May 2005, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest jay_con

A dissertation?????

I wonder if she got any funding from anyone?

I was a bit worried when I thought it was ICES as they are usually about right when it comes to cod.

Leon Roskilly:

There is indeed a thriving population of cod down in the Southwest

see: http://www.cefas.co.uk/fsmi/southwest%2Dcod%2Dek.htm

Tight Lines - leon

Leon the article says:International cod landings reached a peak of 20,300 tonnes in 1989 and then decreased to around 9,000 t in 1991 as the strong 1986 year class was fished out. Landings then increased gradually to about 13,000 t in 1996 but have since declined slightly.

Which sounds ok but it goes on to say: ICES considers the stock is outside safe biological limits. Following a period of relative stability, SSB declined 30%, to below Bpa in 2000, and the 1997 and 1998 year classes are estimated to be well below average. Fishing mortality has been well above Fpa in 1985, and was even above Flim in 1998 and 1999.

ICES recommends that fishing mortality should be reduced to 0.55 which is below Fpa, corresponding to landings of less than 4,300 t in 2001.

Im not sure thriving is right word is it? or have I missed something?!!

dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Dan:

Im not sure thriving is right word is it? or have I missed something?!!

dan

It's teeming with cod down that way!

What do the scientists know!!

Tight Lines - leon

ps Do you think that I've subliminally indoctrinated?

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

wurzel:

Leon,

I am not so sure about your genetically inclined warm water cod.

I am sure that small youg cod are more tollerant, thats why we get several small fish show inshore some years but don't come back the next.

as for the water temperature off shore from the Cornish coast, it's probably colder than the shallow southern north sea, or at least more consistant,in the Thames Esturary it's only takes a change in wind direction and the temprerature jumps up or down, half the time the fish don't know weather they are comeing or going.

By being very carful fishing these populations what do you suggest? a total ban on cod fishing pahaps. As Big Cod has caught more cod than all the long line fleet from Whitby to Harwich put together recently, would he and his colleges be included in any ban?

At least I agree that fishermens profits are dangerously low.

:cool: I personally think the charter fleets should have their own quotas, area by area and quota hopping should be allowed, when their quota is used up, the fishing for that species in that area stops. If a skipper chooses to use his quota early then it's up to him, he'll have to fish for some thing else for the rest of the year . If he chooses to eke it out then that's his decision too, managing the available stocks will be the name of the game. :D

When you actually kook at the state of the cod stocks now its very sad to see,as dan mentioned the 1986 year that was an unbelievable year ,the shore fishing up here at whitby was incredible you could go fishing any night through the winter and catch a good bag of codling some nights they would run you out of bait,it was a big year for the 1-3lb class you could say it was swarming, my best session that winter was on whitby peir which i very rarely fish nowadays but i caught 41 codling one afternoon now that was going some ,it was hitting the water and within less than 2minuites you had a fish on,i not sure whether spring actually came down the peir for a look that day but people were carrying big bags of fish off ,you could go on whitby beach any night and if you caught half a dozen it was a bad nights fishing but a those were the days and here we are.ps its a shame worzel was up at whitby netting in those days they were using 4in mesh then the fish would hang like grapes in the nets i think he would have wet himself with excitment.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg