Kayack fishing....record catches in UK

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi All,

Because Kayak fishing is relatively new to the uk, and still in its infancy, there are no records of catches, as of yet.

So we could do with a computer literate volunteer

to take on the job......ARTFULFISHER....nudge ....nudge :D:D

What we dont want is Yak-fishers takeing fish to tackle shops to be wieghed, resulting in dead fish.

We need to leave it open to the individuals honesty,where by a photo of the fish be taken,the fish be wieghed, and witnessed by another Kayak fisherman, then released.

no photo, no witness, no record.

Sounds a bit harsh that..... :D:D

With our numbers slowly growing, it might be a bit of fun to do.

What say you men of Yaks??

Yakity :)

[ 08. August 2004, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak ]

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yakity you old nudger! :)

I'd be happy to get a list up and running. I think we 'need' the photo reference and preferably a witness if possible...although this is just for fun kids...so I'm sure trust will have to play it's part!

Specimen weights should be governed by the NFSA or in my personal case the WFSA specimen size list. This list is fairly comprehensive, accessible to all via the NFSA website and lists the specimen sizes for south and north of the UK and obviously Wales with the WFSA... Not that I am a particular fan of the NFSA or WFSA as they have recently annoyed me with a personal matter and I will not be renewing my membership. However their specimen list is generally very well thought out and caters for the geographical differences and related average fish size.

Anyhow if any Yak orientated fishers want to mail me direct with a specimen claim and pic feel free. Don't forget to include all details of the capture and we will keep the name of the captor as used on AN...again it's just for fun!...we all know who we are!!! :D

I also think it should be a prerequiste that the fish are photographed with the yak used and dare I say it that this should be a catch and release only list? What do you think guys :confused:

Obviously there are a few problems involved with landing and photographing a specimen fish (larger species) especially if you are on your own (you know that's when it'll happen!!!)

Our friends in the US seem to manage to photograph massive specimens on board out at sea...but I can't see that's easy or safe if you're trying to keep it alive... thoughts please gentlemen?

I guess the most obvious suggestion would be to 'be prepared' if you are hoping for a specimen.

How about a list of specimen hunting kit...

Decent Weighing Scales

Tape measure...maybe stick one to the deck...lay your fish next to it and shoot!...which brings me to ...

Camera...not too expensive..and maybe in a bag from those nice people at Aquapac.

The specimen sizes list is handy to keep onboard in case you catch an unexpected fish...I've seen a guy chuck a near record fish back in the water without any pics just 'cause nobody new what it was...only later did we realise! You will quickly learn specimen sizes of the common fish anyway.

If in doubt...shoot and read up later! :D

Obviously a bit of tackle would be handy and anything that will keep the fish happy while you fumble in an excited fashion aboard your triumphant yak looking for the b****y camera!!! :D

Additions to the above list gratefully recieved!

As a footnote, I think it could be 'fun' like you say yakity. A bit of friendly rivalry too and encourage us all to target the fish that are not so easily attained...no Marvin I don't want a new shot of a bigger mackerel every day!

Once a month I could do a round up of the new specimens caught, hopefully with a scattering of pics..once I've figured out how to upload the little devils...with help from you guys!

That's enough typing...it's your turn!!! :D

Tight lines and Happy Specimen Hunting!

Art

OHHHH, well voluteered Artful, :D .

Yes it will generate a bit of fun and interest amoung us all.

Priority must be given to keeping the fish alive to return,personaly, I always take a good sized landing net out with me.

This is a bonus when hadling the fish, I tend to leave the fish in the water in the net while, getting the camera ready,(not often......lol) you can do this by wedgeing the net handle under your leg, it does

work.

Haveing said that....if your lucky enough to catch a monster, hopefully your buddy wont be too far away to help.

As for a measure, I have taped a tailors measure along the paddle handle, works ok , as the paddle is across your lap most of the time, makes it easey.

Art, could you get a list togrther for us all to print off, that way we all have the same goals so to speak ,

I just hope Marvins site can cope with the pics.

On that note Marvin, Id like to offer some support with the upkeep of your site , Ill gladly chip in with a few bob to help, as would a few more of us I expect,

Its a great site that we will all benifit from in times to come. Say the word.

Hopefully next year we can organise a tournament or three, it would be nice to get together.

If we choose the venues carefully, the traveling will be shared.(tents and bar-b-ques at the ready)

Prizes could be sought after , from the manufacturers. (hopefully).

Failing that we could all pay an entrance fee and use that for the prizes.

This will all be in fun, so hopefully no one will feel the need to exagerate thier catches.

Artful, thanks for takeing it on mate.

Cheers.

OLD NUDGER. :D

[ 08. August 2004, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak ]

Now we are getting ourselves organised.

We should also be thinking of a chairman for the club.

Someone who has good knowlage of Kayak fishing and safety.

Someone that could offer advice and support to new comers.

Someone who could contact the manufacturers for banners etc, that we could display at our proposed tournaments, that, they may offer support to the UK community of Kayak fisherman, via a few prizes.

Someone with conviction to the success and well being of the sport in the UK.

Someone with a site on the web maybe ??

I think Starvinmarvin would be a good candidate for this responsible job.

What say you guys.

Marvin.....how would you feel about takeing it on ?? :):P:P

Cheers for now.

Yakity. :)

Hi capn,

Great to hear from you as always.

Sadly no, I havnt been able to get out this weekend.

But I will be haveing a little dabble about there.

How are things with you buddy, all well I hope.

You any closer to your Yak yet ??

Have you been out at all with the rod??, any joy?.

Still working hard over there :D

As soon as get to the spot, I will let you know how I fair.

Cheers pal.

YY :)

Dang YY - the topic is young. Give it a chance.

Sounds like a great idea to me, BTW.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Nice one Yakity!

Starvin would make an excellent Chairman...as long as the commitment doesn't get out of hand. You know how busy life can get and I know that Starvin like myself does occasionally have to work quite ridiculous hours!!! :mad: ...however I think if we keep it based around having fun, doing what we all love, we won't go far wrong. Sometimes it does take a concious effort to stop things getting serious though!...first club rule...nobody takes themselves or their fishing tooooooo seriously!!! :D:D:D

I feel a mission statement coming on!!!...oh, and yes I am working on some names...came up with a couple of classics but more of that later :D

I'll sort out a specimen list.

oh and add a knotless landing net to that list!

Tape measure wise...I have insulation tape in a bright colour wrapped around my paddle at various, common, specimen size seperations and that works really well too...very fast...the fish don't even know they've been out of the water!

Cheers for now All

Art