Kayack fishing....record catches in UK

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Well chaps an awful lot of things have been happening this weekend by the looks of things, sorry I haven't been onboard for a natter.

Wedding! Staring at some lovely brown trout chasing waterboatmen in the soaring heat.

Yesterday was a little disappointing, went to the coast really early, didn't check the forecast, wind blown chop, came home!

I agree with everything that has been said :D

And would love to catch some fish for the list, hey I'd just love to catch some fish. For the larger species may I suggest that we tow a second kayak to lay the fish in to take the photographs!!!!!!

Artfulfisher you better be ready for the Welsh Fish Off 2004 it's only 6 days away and will hopefully last about 10 days, wife and kids willing.

Cheers for the offer of help with the site Yakety, it is expensive to keep going, but at the moment I'm fine with it, it's time that I need more than anything, last weeks commuting was a nightmare leaving little time to do anything (5 hours on Monday).

Might be nice to record the most species in one session as well.

Lets get catching.

Tightlines

Starvinmarvin

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys, nice one SM :D

I've been checking out the specimen list and things have got a little complicated since I last checked the NFSA site and so a single list would now be huge!!!....However, the NFSA have a national listing at the link below. Just click on your region/county and you'll get a complete list of the specimen weights for fish in your region. I will, of course, verify all claims against your regions as listed. So get clicking, printing and fishing!!! :)

http://www.nfsa.org.uk/ntcg/specimen_size.htm

let me know if the link doesn't work!

As for the Welsh Fish Off 2004, SM...there will be welcome in the hillside and an arse kicking on the water!!! :D:D:D

Really looking forward to seeing you and the family and getting in some great fishing!...lets keep our fingers crossed for some good kayakfishing weather!!!...mind you, I'll be looking the other way if you land a 12lb bass!!!....no witness, no record...eh YY!!!! :D

cheers for now

Art

Hi Art,

The last thing I, or anybody else wants is to be bogged down with silly rules.

Relaxed is good for all. Couldnt agree more.

I just felt it would be good for the sport and those who partake to band us all together......when I say that, I dont mean trying to join us all at the hip :D

Just thought that instead of everyone going about on thier own (which is fine) If we formed an association we would all be together,forming a bond amounst us.

It may well be that nobody is interested, thats fine too.

Please dont anybody think Im trying to push this upon you all, it was just an idea.

I do get carried away sometimes, but only because

Im passionate about the sport.

So stop me in my tracks if Im becomeing a neusance:)

I promise Ill say no more about it. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

YY:)

[ 09. August 2004, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak ]

Art.

what I meant by keeping catch records was........

Keeping our OWN Kayak Fishing records , but useing NFSA minimum sizes, as a guide.

Not trying to beat local area records.

Does that sound easier:D :D

Antway I dont know how we would stand as far as existing area records go, being as we fish from Kayaks. Not a boat ??

Im in contact with a local commitee, who organise

a flounder competition every year, which Al and me fish from shore normaly.

There is a boat section too, so I have asked the commitee to consider letting us enter the boat section useing the Yaks.

Waiting for the response at the moment.

Catch you later.

YY :)

Hi YY,

I agree with all you say there. As far as the 'local records' that's not what I was driving at really...my point was that a specimen in the north may not be a specimen in the south...cause the fish are bigger on average. That makes it a bit harder for our friends in the north to get on the 'record list' if they have a specimen size which is based on southern fish sizes.

I was just trying to level out the playing field a little.

I'm happy to do it anyway suggested...even ignoring specimen sizes completely and just going for a weight based record list which starts from zero. Every fish counts...until it's beaten! :D

Let me know your thoughts I'm happy with whatever method :)

As for names try these for starters...

Name Acronym

UK Kayak Fishing Association UKKFA

UK Kayak Anglers Association UKKAA

UK Kayak Fishers Organisation UKKFO

British Kayakfishing Association BKA

The Kayakfishing Association of Britain KAB

Kayakfishing UK KUK

Kayak Fishers UK KFUK(!!!)

Kayak Anglers UK KAUK

The British Kayak Fishers Group BKFG

The British Kayak Anglers Group BKAG

The British Kayakfishing Group BKG

The British Kayak Fishers Alliance BKFA

The British Kayak Anglers Alliance BKAA

The British Kayakfishing Alliance BKA

The Kayak Fishers Clique...I mean Club(!) KFC...chicken anyone?

The British Kayak Fishers League BKFL

The British Kayakfishing League BKL

The League of Extraordinary Fishermen(!!!!!!!!!) Sorry carried away!

The British League of Kayak Fishers BLKF

The British League of Kayakfishing BLK

The Association of British Kayakfishing ABK

The Association of British Kayak Fishers ABKF

The Association of British Kayak Anglers ABKA

The British Kayak Anglers Society BKAS

There are millions of combinations so let me know which are your favorites or put some different ones on the table and we'll choose a nice one

'Kayakfishing' by the way, is a single word in the US or at least Ken Daubert uses it as such and he's the King as far as I'm concerned...Capt Ken and his pals virtually started the sport...so that's why I have included it as such...although it ain't in the Oxford yet!!! :D

Cheers for now

Art

Hi Art,

You decide :D:D .....as you are kind enough to help out with it.

Choose which option is good for you, and the easiest to do,dont want you bogged down in the stuff.

It is a fun thing , so take it from there.

As for the names......IS THAT IT !! :D ..........

couldnt you think of anymore ? :P

British kayakfishing Association.

Short sweet, and says it all.

Not so costly on the printing either :D

Catch you later.

YY

:)

The idea of some sort of system to allow for different populations in different areas is a good one.

I know it doesn't fit exactly but you might be interested in the 'rules' for the CAG (US Carp Anglers Group) FFF. The FFF stands for First Fishing Folly and it was a fun competition for carp caught on January 1st. Since many of the southern states can be fairly warm that day, the main prize was handicapped by

- total weight of all carp caught by a single angler

- divided by the lowest water temperature recorded when catching a fish that day

- 30 subtracted from the above.

Pretty much evened things up for the day.

There certainly should be some variation you could use to account for the difference in fish south to north.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Newt, YY,

thanks for the tips there...I think we'll keep it simple...I've been looking into the North/South differences and some are not that significant to be honest.

I think we should just start from 'zero' and I'll happily log any fish that any one of you happy Yakkers manages to tame...and return. On a monthly basis I shall produce a full list for all to see of the current 'record fish' including those not yet caught....what an encouragement to try and target something new!

However to redress the balance a little I will certainly check any fish caught against average sizes for that location, and make a point of highlighting any individual who manages to exceed the 'local' average in spectacular style!!! :D ...even if it doesn't break the current record.

We would expect GB to catch a decent bass or two out on his Yak once he gets one (!) ...and he'll probably hold the record with all those lovely specimens down there...however 'fish of note' will appear on the record list, below the 'record fish' by way of honouring a good catch in a 'poor' region.

Hope that makes sense...but it'll keep it simple and we all get a mention if we do well! :D

Oh... dinners ready...better go..trout caught earlier...not on the yak!!!

back later

Art