Chubbing

Anderoo

I was able to get this afternoon off work, and with the weather and river both perfect for chub, the decision was easy. I wanted to use the opportunity to check that the chub are still there after last year's floods, and hopefully test out the new rod properly on some decent fish.

It was a success on both counts, as well as being fantastic fun. The rod is perfect, and got a good workout with 4 chub, two smaller ones and two good ones of 5.06 and 5.10. Its been a while since I've seen decent chub, they looked huge, and were in spanking condition. Looks like it could be an interesting winter :)

• Like 2

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Good stuff :clap3: Anderoo Bread or Cheese paste? New rod? I haven`t kept up what rod have you bought now?? Thinking of having a go Tomorrow evening if I can find the handwarmers

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Bread, I've given up on the various pastes on the Thames. The rod is the fox kevlar barbel one I've posted about before but haven't really tested yet. Luckily it's the right combination of power and 'absorbtion', with the bigger fish it bends all the way through but still keeps them out of the near bank snags, I feel in much more control than with the Avon I was using.

I think I need to be sensible this winter and fish for the roach when conditions suit and chub when the conditions are better for them. This cold, still, dry, high pressure weather is much better suited to the chub. And having done hardly any chubbing for the last couple of winters, it felt great to be back out there.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

So do you think the milder conditions are better for the Roach?? a lot of the unhittablke rattles I suffered a couple of winters ago on Bread may have been Roach .

Got some fried flavoured Spam in the freezer that I am going to try as no Crays in the local bits yet so seems silly not to ,if I can drag Rusty away from his curry then he can fish bread to see if they favour one over the other.

Once again well done on a first stab of the winter

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Cheers Steve, good luck. I think I'll go back to the roach when we get some low pressure and wind, ideally with some rain to colour up the river a bit.

What a great start to your chubbing :clap2:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Congratulations :-).

Slightly off topic, have you ever tried fishing for them during the summer with lures? A 5-6lb chub on a lure would be great fun :-)

FWIW, I've always found them very willing to absolutely hammer small silver metallic lures, as long as they are unaware that you are there, i.e. they have not been spooked - sport tends to be very fast and furious, typically taking several chub from the same shoal on virtually successive casts - naturally, this amount of activity would tend to disrupt any swim quite quickly, so it's definitely a roving approach ... and I've found them just as happy to play during the colder months too as long as it's not too extreme.